Moving to Al Ain soon...seeking honest friendly advice.

Hello Forum!

I am a new recruit with a local company.  Looking for advice on good (tolerant) areas for a Single Man to live in Al Ain.  Maybe an area with a decent size expat community.   

Does anyone have any good advice on areas that offer 1/2 bedroom places with scenic views/patio or an outside deck is a must.

OR if you know of a reputable agent, website, contact, etc...to reach out to with my specifications...please share.

Thanks for any advice, Forum.

I used this company to find someone to move all my stuff
movemiddleeast.com

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot see the link...it is still under review.  Maybe you can send the name of the company and I can google them.

Thanks again for your advice.

Hey have you found a place yet? I had to spend 45 days before i found a place i liked. I finally found a decent agent. I can share his contact if youre still looking.

Thank you! please share.  No I still have not found a place.

Hi again. So the agent's name is Nadir, and his number is +971 55 616 3345. You can give him my reference if you want - my name is Murtaza and he helped me move into an apartment adjacent to the Al Ain Rotana (across from Jahili park). I was looking through 4-5 agents and he was the most helpful by far.

By the way public transport isn't too amazing in Al Ain, so unless you've got a car/are planning on getting one really soon, my advice would be to look nearer to your work place.

Great! thanks, Murtaza.  I will give him a call.  And yes, I am hoping to get a car soon.  Good advice about living close to my work place.  I will keep that in mind.  I am really hoping I can pull things together in good time.  I want to get settled as soon as humanly possible.  Again, thanks for your help, Brother.

No problem! My pain is recent enough to empathize with anyone else currently going through it :) I'm sure you've stumbled onto the dubizzle website by now? Also a thing i just remembered is the term "white goods" when you're house hunting in the UAE. These are your appliances like the stove, fridge, washing machine etc. Most apartments in Al Ain that I saw didn't have these fitted. Some people don't like to go through the cost/hassle of having these put in, but all these just cost me around AED 6k. Just something to keep in mind.

Some people don't like to go through the cost/hassle of having these put in, but all these just cost me around AED 6k. Just something to keep in mind

hmm..I have thought about that...honestly, I would prefer something furnished..but if I have to buy them, what place did you buy yours? do you think you got a good deal?

By furnished do you mean appliances or furniture as well? Because I didnt see any decently furnished place when i was looking..
I bought all my stuff from Mega Mart in Al Ain Mall - after looking through the other hypermarkets, i.e., Carrefour, Lulu etc. over here, this was giving me the best options/prices. Price really depends on the brands/sizes of your items. All the appliances i got are LG. In this 6k, i bought a fridge, a washing machine, a stove/oven (its a fairly large one - and its gas/this isn't LG btw), a Microwave, vacuum cleaner,  a toaster and an iron.
Furniture is another story, and the range varies quite a bit. I bought all my stuff from Ikea in Dubai (delivery is free if you shop over AED 2.5k). However, there's a fairly large used furniture market (where they also sell used appliances) in Town Center (behind the Adnoc Pump near clock tower) that you can find some decent stuff in for really cheap prices. Like anywhere else in the world though, in a market like this you need luck and some negotiating skills. Also there's furniture stores like home center in Jimi Mall etc which are a bit pricier than IKEA for example. It really depends on your budget.

By furnished do you mean appliances or furniture as well?

At least appliances...fridge, stove/oven...I have my work cut out for me I can see that now...I will be prepared to do some shopping, though I hope that between your contact..and the one other contact I have I can find something suitable.  Furnished with a few basics to build upon.  I really do appreciate your feedback though.  The store references, and other details will give me a good "real world" reference point to start with.  I know I will need to do furniture shopping for major items...bed, couch, rugs, etc...I will check out Home Center, and IKEA in Dubai also.  LG is a pretty good brand.  I will try Mega Mart as well.

No problem man. Good luck with this! It's really not so bad... At least it gives you something to do! Life gets really slow in this town!

I appreciate the luck, Man...I need all the luck I can get.  Just arrived in Abu Dhabi last night....hey, I hope things are coming together well for you too.

Hi there

I am homeless !

French Lady here working as a manager and no place found . Out of the Hotel march 1st
cheers

@seasunstar1: What are you looking for?

@jam-bo: find a place?

I am looking for a room to rent , a room in a flat or a villa... (decent) ASAP near Al Mujawii, Al Ain

i can only recommend www.movemiddleast.com that helped me

@jam-bo: find a place?

NOPE,  :(  not yet...been here 3 days searching...not found what I want yet.  I am still trying though...the place you are renting? do they have 2 bedrooms? balcony?

I am looking for a room to rent , a room in a flat or a villa... (decent) ASAP near Al Mujawii, Al Ain

I can provide the contact I have used....they where very helpful.  company name (Moderated: Please recommend in Al Ain business directory)

Hello

Do you have his email address
I am flying tomorrow to Al Ain so an email would be more helpful at this stage

cheers

French Lady here in despair as i will be in a hotel for 7 days only

My company told me the employment visa would be ready at the airport ? true? false ?
I have received a scann via email...and I have a one way ticket.

What is the reality once we arrive at the airport ?

Re-cheers

Sure...his email is: [email protected] ...my advice to you primarily...with all due respect....do not remain in despair..it will only bring you down...'try' your best to remain optimistic. 
   I have been in Al Ain for 3 days, took some diligence and patience, but today I finally found the place I will call home for a while.  Actually not long after I posted the first reply to you I met with another guy.  I can give you his info too if you do not find something with Mr. Khalifa..
  About the visa...that scan the company gave you via email...it is your work visa, correct? with your job info, etc....print it out and have it with your passport...keep it safe as you will need to provide both of these once you arrive.....follow the other passengers from your flight to the passport/visa verification checkpoint and you will have to get in line...I had to get an eye scan for verification and a stamp on my visa paper since it was for work..do not panic if you do too...I believe it is for all work visa people coming in country...they will let you know where to get in line for that.  Remember, do not despair....take care.

Double Cheers and safe flight in.

Dear

I appreciate your words

I have been  working in Saudi for 3 years and was in Dubai before so i have lived in the Middle East for 8 years working for 5 stars hotels never had to look for my own accommodation

When the Company emailed me my visa the wrong job title hit me for 6 but they said oh is because of quota blah blah blah

Then they  sent me a pic of this one room -located in a basement-

These two things are not cool.

I am  just being tired of the BS , period!

Thnaks so much for your super support. I owe you

And for the words of wisdom...thanks.

Spa Director here , not ever loosing my cool but there is  a limit...well homeless for the first time and not taking it well.

: 0

ooops one last question please

are rent to be paid yearly /up front ?
thats another issue...

Cheers

These two things are not cool.

I agree...I got a similar speech about my job title...but the big let down is the room in the basement thing...thats not right..the company should have a local contact or maybe your recruiter should be more supportive...that isnt cool at all how they are putting you in that position. 

Thnaks so much for your super support. I owe you

And for the words of wisdom...thanks.

Very kind of you, but I'm happy to help...don't feel you owe me...one day you'll be giving someone in a jam similar advice too and that will be the payback.  ;) 

are rent to be paid yearly /up front ?
thats another issue...

This all depends on the landlord...i have heard of some that do / but not all of them...just be sure to inquire when you speak to Mr. Khalifa, or any other agent.

Cheers

I believe in Karma

I will make the Best of my stay and guess what ? I will sleep in my office. No kidding I have no intention to stay long, well until I get some other opportunity. I have no desire to buy second hand furniture ( I am not a snob, dont get me wrong, I am entirely dressed up with second hand clothes :) ) but really they have been totally horrible during the hiring process, so much that now I cant wait to just sign another contract and would move with no notice.
They wanted an expert they pay me and treat me like a maid and I have not reached. You wnat the Best ? I had to pay for my own ticket and to this day the only written confirmation they would re imbourse me is
Yes your re imboursement is being processed ! No figures not a $ at the horizon.
I ll be buying a futong and roll it  out  to sleep and shower at the Spa. I dont do basement
I am not cave woman LOL
You know, they blew it, that will be their loss

Hopefully they will not want to keep my passport ? Well for staff not accomodated by the Company I doubt but let me know if you know about the exitea, can we exit at our own discretion ?

Thanks again .

Estelle

but really they have been totally horrible during the hiring process, so much that now I cant wait to just sign another contract and would move with no notice.

:( Sorry to read that...smh.

I had to pay for my own ticket and to this day the only written confirmation they would re imbourse me is
Yes your re imboursement is being processed ! No figures not a $ at the horizon.

Insist on speaking directly with the finance person to confirm what you need to send to them...how to confirm figures and such...i agree, dont accept that email confirmation alone...please push the issue and insist...Call your contact directly...and if they dont convince you, ask to speak to someone who knows whats up...I know you want to explode on, but don't crush them yet...**you catch more bee's with honey**, but you may have to 'trap' some bee's in your situation..professionally demand answers from these people.

Hopefully they will not want to keep my passport

this may a challenge for you because in my experience, as i am sure in your past...they do take them while processing your residency/labor paperwork at local municipality.  Sooo, you really need to speak frankly with your point of contact to be informed on what they will do....by the way, I believe it shouldnt be more than 2 to 3 weeks MOST to get that stuff done and passport back to you...but insist on answers from your local contact person.

All the best...I know this isn't ideal for anyone to have to experience.