Texting

Is there any way to send/receive regular text messages with people in the U.S.?  Is it affordable for both those in Panama and those in the U.S.?

Facebook messenger or WhatsApp (a smartphone app) I unlocked my Iphone and have a monthly plan (not minutes).  It is $10 for 2+ hrs of talk and $10 for a huge amount of data.  I've never run out and it works all over Panama (mostly)

tombseekers wrote:

Facebook messenger or WhatsApp (a smartphone app) I unlocked my Iphone and have a monthly plan (not minutes).  It is $10 for 2+ hrs of talk and $10 for a huge amount of data.  I've never run out and it works all over Panama (mostly)

So that's $10 for texts back and forth to North America too, or just within Panama?

I pay $20 a month that includes phone and data.  That would be texts, MagicJack, WhatsApp, Waze, and anything else wifi.  You do not need a hotspot to access.  Just make sure your smartphone is unlocked.  You can buy a new sim card and minutes to get started and then find a plan that meets your needs.  I use Cable and Wireless for Movil

So does that get you an American phone number?

With Magic jack app you get a US phone number and if you use it on wifi It's totally Free and works great. I use it every day. Whatsapp is for texting and is totally free if the other person has whatsapp. If you need help setting it up PM me and I will give you my number