Does anyone have any tips on good Norwegian language courses?

Hello again all!

I want to take some Norwegian classes when I arrive in Stavanger and I wondered if people who have any experience of this have any recommendations for good but relatively low cost courses?

Many thanks,

Jennifer

Hello,
I think there is a Folkenuniversitet there and they have classes.
I am going to take one in Narvik when I arrive. Also the Kommune have them.    Har det bra, Lydia

Thanks Lydia, I'll look into it further :-) Best wishes, Jennifer

Classes are the Kommune are usually for foreigners outside the EU. Folkuniversitetet is usually the alternative chosen by most. It is also a good way to meet other people.

Ok, that's good to know. I struggled to find out about classes at the Kommune anyway as there was no obvious link from their home page and then when I asked for help with finding info I was directed to a page only in Norwegian! Have you heard of anyone who has done the language course at the University of Stavanger?

Hello,

Did they give you a link to a website about their language course? Could you perhaps post it so we can have a look?

Thanks,

David

You could also try Johannes Laerningsenter. There's a bit of a waiting list to get in, but they are a bit cheaper than Folkeuniversitiet. Depending on what you are coming to Stavanger for, you might even be able to apply to get free classes at Johannes. The website is in Norwegian... which is ironic considering you go there looking for classes to LEARN Norwegian, but if you view it in Google Chrome it should translate the whole thing for you so you can navigate it much easier.

http://www.minskole.no/johannesn

There is also a new language school called Lingu that just opened up.

http://lingu.no/?gclid=CIb_2P_u-rkCFfKXcAodbGwAgg

It's brand new and I don't know anyone who has tried their classes, but at least it's another option! They also offer smaller group classes as well as private lessons if that is of interest to you.

Hello,
I have been in Narvik for 1 week now and have found a course online by NTNU Trondheim.ntnu.edu/now
It is an interactive course that covers levels A-1 and A-2. I had completed 1 chapter and afterward could introduce myself, tell where I am from, and descibe my interests. The best part is it is free. I would go through this first and then go to a school for B and C levels.

Blessings, Lydia

AuNordDuMonde wrote:

Classes are the Kommune are usually for foreigners outside the EU. Folkuniversitetet is usually the alternative chosen by most. It is also a good way to meet other people.

I'm in a course in my kommune and the class is actually 85% EU/EEA immigrants. Most are Eastern European, German, and Spanish, with a few from countries outside EEA.

I've looked into the folkeuniversitet locally and word on the street is that although it's cheaper, the quality is much worse. They also don't offer as much flexibility or as many levels. For example, I started in the A1 class and after 2 weeks moved to the A2 class without having to pay extra or anything- just moved down the hall. I'm sure the quality and variety of offering varies widely by region though!

Check lingu. It one of the best aand the best teacher ever!

jennifurria wrote:

Hello again all!

I want to take some Norwegian classes when I arrive in Stavanger and I wondered if people who have any experience of this have any recommendations for good but relatively low cost courses?

Many thanks,

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

A friend of mine (half-Norwegian, half-American) has her own company teaching Norwegian. From what IŽve heard, she is quite good and the "classes" become a bit more personal - so she can adapt what you are learning to what you want/feel you need to learn. From what she has told me, her prices are also quite reasonable compared to the bigger, less personal offers. Obviously, this a friend of mine - so I am a bit biased, but itŽs maybe also something to consider as an option. She can come home to you, and is flexible on times (rather than being stuck to a specific class time). I guess it all depends on your situation. If youŽre interested, you can find more at customexpatservices.com or on Facebook if you search for Custom Expat Services.

And if you want to meet people - come along to our netball training - itŽs a bit of fun, and a good way to get some exercise. We also have social events, so thatŽs always good!

Welcome to Stavanger!

Hi Jennifer,
I have taken courses in Folkeuniversitetet and I found it very satisfactory. I have already booked myself for their A2 level courses starting in January.