Norwegian Courses for Spouse

Hello,

I am going to receive my residence permit as I am married to a Norwegian Citizen. Does anyone know if Norwegian classes are free for foreign spouses?

Thanks!

Yes it is rett og plikt (Right and obligation) for spouses of Norwegian citizens to have 550 norskkurs + 50 norwegian social studies hours. You need to go to your kommune once you have your midlertidig oppholdstilatelse ( Temporary Residence Card).

It also depends if you are from EU or EEA.  Only spouses of norwegians that are outside EU or EEA have free classes.

My husband is EU citizen and already got his Residence. I am not from EU/EEA, do you happen to know if that rule would apply for our case as well (free language course)? Thanks!

https://www.kompetansenorge.no/English/ … n/#ob=9649

Who gets free language tuition?
Newly arrived refugees, their family members and persons who have been granted family reunification with a Norwegian or Nordic citizen are given 600 hours tuition free of charge.

Immigrants who come from outside the EEA-/EFTA area with a work permit are obliged to take part in 300 hours of tuition, but they have no legal right to get the courses for free.

EU citizens, students and au-pairs have to pay for their tuition and for the Norwegian language test.