Single Lady wanting to move to Ecuador

Would love to hear from Expats living in Ecuador
I am wanting to retire soon and rent a place there large enough for a garden.......not a condo would like a home.

Is it safe for a single lady living alone in Ecuador...

thank you for your time,

Trish

Hello Tahoe Trish, last time I was to Tahoe broke my ankle! Ouch!
A few things to consider, to have a home and garden outside Cuenca based on my experience you'll need to be coversationally capable of some Spanish. I think the same will be true whether there or along the coast. Ditto, Mexico.
Don't get me wrong with some sign language, patience and a bottle of Excedrin you can get it done.
Cuenca where I live is a mild 70-75 degrees year round in the day time. At night it dips down to 55-60F.
The coast is entirely different, temps get much higher, humidity is in most cases pretty much like outdoor showering. I get down to Manta, Bahia and Salinas 2-5 times per year.
The trip is long and boring although based on the driver it can be exciting. No to mention the other drivers who I liken to Italians based on my Rome experiences.
Last time I was in the Philippines was on R&R from SE Asia for about 3 weeks. Came back broke, no surprise most everyone going back was.
Most on these blogs will tell you to rent and get a feel for the area.
The biggest question is what do you require from life   besides a house and garden? Cuenca has about 4-500,000 residents in the city and surrounding hills. Loja down south roughly 80 miles has about 120,000 or so folks. Heavy Spanish spoken here unlike Cuenca where English is widely used and promoted. The coast is similar until you get to Manta where about another 1/2 million live. Great sea food along the coast as well as In Cuenca.
If you pursue the house purchase or rental a car in all probability will be needed although mass trans is abundant at .25 cents per bus. Cabs depending on the drivers attitude range from a buck to 3 without luggage and groceries. Gringo beware on this issue. Up in Quito, higher crime rates and some border issues with the FARC guerrilla's out of Columbia which I point out only as a warning to not be to close to the Colombian border. NE of Quito are a number of small villages with huge indigent bazaars that offer everything from livestock to some beautiful leather wares. Once Monday comes, well you'd better like that garden until the weekend comes around, sleepy might be the word for this area although if hiking is your style well then go for it but 3-5 days of that and you may as well enlist in someones army.
Cuenca has numerous ex pats and there are a number of great eateries and pubs or bars or whatever you call them..
If you think of any further questions just reply to my personal e mail in my bio. I see you're born on 12=11 did you inadvertently not post the year?

Tahoe, one other thing to utilize, run a search for the Gringo tree, it's an ex pat newsletter for Cuenca and the immediate area. Many recommendations and articles & yes you're safe in Cuenca.
Mnay folks like me are ex military types and most of us quite abit bigger then most Ecuadorians so they prefer non confrontation which really is there nature anyway. Besides most Ecuadorians pride themselves on being very courteous. Don't concern yourself with safety.
Just stay away from Villacomba closer to the Peruvian border. They have begun night raids with some Ecuadorian criminals and gringos seen as rich are their targets. Recently several serious crimes have occurred there but thats true of any country's borders I.E. Mexico/Texas/Arizona/Ca. FYI, Villacomba is 150-250 miles from Cuenca.
By the way Ecuador pales by comparison to Mexico's issues which are becoming almost civil war like.

Hi
thank you so much for the note.....most kind to write to me
I think a home in cuenca would be wonderful.
As long as I had space to grow flowers and a garden I would be happy as you know What!!!

The coast does sound a wee bit too hot for me.
and the fact that there are so many Expats in Cuenca is wonderful

can you write to me at my email address
TahoeHomes4u  at  aol  dot  com

Yes, my birthday us 11/12/0000000000
:)  1950

what about animals, can you bring a dog into the country?

Trish

Trish,

I'm a newbie to all of this myself.

You might wish to try out the "search" function on the site and also review the topic headings.

For example, there is already a lot of info on the site about dogs, cats, renting with pets, etc.  While "wandering around" in this manner, you might also come across some questions you hadn't even thought of yet  ...

Carlos  aka  "ElGringoBueno"  :cool:

PS  The best man at my wedding lives in Zephyr Cove these days ...  Tahoe is a wonderful area, but Ecuador is Ecuador !!!

Hi Trish - I will be able to let you know soon!

We are arriving in Cuenca this Saturday (14th) and I will be staying for one month - hubby will be there for only 2 weeks.

We rented a small one bedroom, kitchen, bath AND a small walled garden area. So it is Ground Floor.

I will be "a single female" for 2 weeks LOL and will get a real feel for what that is like. From the forums and chatting with others - I am NOT afraid to be there alone.

Hope this helped and that others will answer your questions!

Pam

Pam,

I am so excited you sent me a note....
Thank you so much!

I would like to leave right not too..
I have so many things to sell off and would like to visit
for the 3 months and come back to the states and get my things in order.

Have you found out where other expats mingle and any clubs etc to meet others from out of the country?

I would like to find a place where I could grow a garden and have tons of flowers.

Do stay in touch with me.

I am still working in the Real Estate arena here in Tahoe, but so over it.........we are all second homes up here and have taken a big hit in our market since 2008 no one's buying million dollar second homes these days.

Thanks again for you letter :)

Trish

This site will give you lots of good, current information about life, travel and retirement in Ecuador:

http:// yourescapetoecuador.com/

Thank you so much I will check it out for sure...

Trish Moreland

www. TahoeTrish.com

Hi Trish - I am glad that I was able to help - at least a little.

I have been in touch with A Lot of people that live in Cuenca and some that are just going now.

Email me - mappam at hotmail dot com - make sure you say something about Cuenca in the subject lol or I may miss it. It is getting a little crazy trying to pack and make all the plans - with only a few days left before we leave!

I will be able to give you some email addresses/names from a few I have been in contact with and what I have learned in the process.

This link will take you to another forum = can be helpful - but sometimes a little "cranky" - just look past that to get some very useful info.

http://www. expatexchange.com/ecuador/liveinecuador.html

My BFF lives in So Tahoe! I know the area very well as I have visited many times! Small World!

Hugs - Pam

[Moderated: off topic]

Hi Trish,

I was very interested in your post as I am considering moving to Cuenca as a single women in 2 years.  Considering a trip down there next year to check it out. Would really like it if you find any useful info if you e-mail me. E-mail address susaneabramson at yahoo.com. Happy travels.

Susan

You need to check out Your Escape to Ecuador. This is the site for the latest news, reviews and information about life, travel and retirement in Ecuador:

yourescapetoecuador.com/

Thanks a bunch!!!
I will check it out

Trish

Susan

Yes, lets keep intouch for sure....

I would like to go visit in Jan or Feb...maybe stay my 3 months come back and pack up....

Trish

Susan ...We have arrived! We are loving it so far. There is a learning curve as cabs are cheap but drivers do not speak English so we wrote down apartment address and hand it to driver -way easier! We still have had a few problems trying to get a few places. As an American expat I feel safe. More later after a few more days under our belt... hugs Pam

That sounds wonderful hope you able to do it

Susan

Can't wait to read your next update. Have fun!!!!

There are a lot of possibilities for a garden and a lot of places here in Cuenca to buy plants.  The house we rent had a small space (± 3'x15') in front and had weeds and some type of wild grass.  My wife cleaned it out and planted roses, English lilacs and bunch of other types of plants.  Another couple uses their apt patio they rent for flowers and small trees using pots etc.  We also have a bunch of indoor plants...  I guess you can tell I am not a gardener.

The other great thing is that if you want flowers and the plants are not cooperating, there is a flower mart in the historic center.

Mike

Hello Trish,
Thought I would throw in a response to your question.  I am a 60 yr old female, living just outside of Cuenca.  I feel very safe, I've never felt threatened in any way since I've been here.  I arrived June 5th of this year.  I found a house about a 20 minute bus ride from downtown, in a rural community.  The owners live upstairs and I have the entire first floor of the home.  It's a lot less expensive if you get out of town, and also I find quieter, and less bus fumes.  Of course the original reason I looked out of the city is because I just love being away from the traffic and noise.  I'm used to being out of town.  So yes, it can be done, and safely.

I'm still struggling with whether I can afford to move to Ecuador, but I agree totally with your sentiments about living in a quieter area out of town. I'm wondering what area you live in, what sort of costs are involved with a one bedroom type unit and, important to me, what sort of internet and TV connections do you have?

Thanks!

I live in Ochoa Leon, if you look at map its past Ricaurte.  I have a 2 bedroom, with 2 1/2 baths, den, living room, dining room, kitchen.  All totally and quite nicely furnished, all utilities included.  I pay less than $400 a month.  My internet for the most part works well, there are times when there is heavy use it is on and off.  I watch TV through ustvnow.com on computers so I get a lot of U.S. channels, but you can also get Direct TV here, I am not familiar with their packages so can't quote any prices.  I'm sure if you look at their site you would be able to determine closer.  Also, the bus runs right by the house, and there are small tiendas locally for a few things.

Goggle has never heard of Ochoa Leon and I was assuming you lived outside Cotacachi, so I was literally all over the map trying to find you. lol I did finally find Ricaurte on Google.

Cheers!

Thank you for the note..

I think I would like to be a wee bit out of downtown and
have a home with a yard so I can plant a garden and flowers
But want to be close enough that I can attend concerts and gatherings with other expats.

Let keep in touch for sure

Trish
TahoeTrish.com

Sounds wonderful.......I love to garden too.......I live for it!!!
Hope when I arrive I can meet you both.

Thank you for your time and note

Trish

Keep me posted Pam..want to hear about everything.....

Trish

As far as safety goes in Ecuador, here is a article with good current advice:

yourescapetoecuador.com/travel/staying-safe-in-ecuador/

Hello, I just check out the entire article..

Thank you so much,

Trish

How are things going Pam?

keep in touch

Trish

Hello,  I recently move from California to quayquil . I can provide any information u like about Ecuador.

Single lady i dont want to offend you but your picture is attractice and throwing out there your single, where your from, where your going, and your picture abd not smart is not the grest first step....,as a women that has a lot of experience warning warning there are a lot of not so nice people looking to take advantage and set up a little sting....you can get abswers to your question without a picture..,get a cute name with out giving that your alone and advertising this is a small area and they can find you easy.  you wouldbe an easy pigeon.
If i was you i would regroup...,abd learn your first lesson in going to ecuador wrong kind of exposure,,,,you will regret it.

LOL...again, not wanting to offend anyone, but whats wrong if a single person wants to find some company? But seriously, I think she used the words only to make the responders understand the sensitivity of the situation...so they could respond with correct advise for her...being single or in a relationship/marriage does change a lot of things and what would or would not be suitable/acceptable.

I think she is mature and educated enough to know what she is doing and there is no need for anyone to try and control her.

I reread whst i wrote her and i was not trying to control her i have lived here a long time and heard single oretty woman like her tell me their sad stories of what happenec when they first came here....the your not going to believe this story.....i wzs just trying to help another woman sorry do it your way no control when i hear the next story i will think of you clap and say arent you glad you didnt have any honest advise from another older women who has been there..,.control is another total issue that we have to go to a doctor that i am not
Sorry.

Gracias. Sorry if I got you wrong...english is not my first language, so possible i got the meaning wrong...like I said, no offence meant...just posted the first thoughts that came to my mind based on what I understood!

How long have you been there?  are you retured there?  Did you rent and how muchdid you pay if you dont mind me asking a mo?  and is ut hard to find a apt with one dog?  We love the city us it active there! Humid?  sorry for all the questions have you ever been in the hospital over there because the hospitals here are great in cuenca really are....
Is it easy to get a bus?  is it dangerous????  do you have a job?
Is it true they have earth quakes there or no...

Did you find house on your own...how much a mo do you pay if i may ask did you gave to buy all appliances do you have a ling term lease?

There are no one bedroom units that i know of...but i am sure they are out there some where but its two or three house or condo....and if you want it quite dont pick the city...you will need a very high flr....noise does not bother me dogs bark all the time i dont hear them gringos complain i dont hear them or the cars what can i say...

Single lady a lot of gringos come and get a bacteria infection..so i suggest you get medicine before you come so you are prepare.  some think it is from where you eat or the water.  others think it is from the stands or dirty knifes or something lije that..others think it is from not storing food correctly.  if is a big change for the body.  if you come to cuenca bring height pills too...my husband is much younger then me and he brought them for me but i didnt need them he did fir a week he was a little light headed we thought that was funny but it went away and he doesnt take them any more but at least we were prepared many gringos go into the hospital for three to five days for bacteria infection diaheria etc.
Also half of the gringos trip yes trip on tge sidewalk...before i could tell my friend who is young her husband foot got stuck in a whole forgive me but it was funny nit to him but we could not get it out it some how got stuck in the hole we still laugh about it...the other day i fell again and broke my third pair of glass so careful....sounds stupid i know....

How is it going Trisha? Sorry it took so long to answer BUT we moved to Cuenca -arrived "April
Fools
Day"

We found a 4bed,2-1/2 bath,small garden house. We brought our dog and it was not as hard as we thought it would be.

Send me an email (scroll up for addy).... Hope to hear from you - pam

beadwindow wrote:

I'm tellin' ya, if you're under 70 or have the mind of a 50 year-old or less, you will kill yourself. Or save time and money and just move to Ft. Myers and watch the zombies do their shuffle. At least the food is better there and the company most likely as well.

So you prefer Mumbai to Cuenca.  Is Ecuador really that dull, uninspiring?