Am in Quito on first visit and need some direction

Can anyone  help with an address for a safe Laundromat? I am staying in Old Town and hotel charge a fortune to send laundry out! Also have been recommended Plaza El Quende on Wednesday nights for live music (guide book). Is this a good place for a woman alone to hang out for a few hours?
I have walked all over the city and have found people to be kind and helpful.  I have not been out alone at night and have not seen any women on the street alone---coincidence???

We stayed in the Old City as well, right on the main street a couple of blocks downhill from the central plaza. Laundromat nearby.

So if you know where the central plaza is, do this:

Walk downhill on the main brick pedestrian street that runs through the plaza (I think the street is Chile?) and then down to the main transportation artery at the bottom of the hill (maybe 7 blocks?) where the big red and blue bus station ramp is.

At the bottom of the hill where the terminus of that brick pedestrian street ends intersecting with the main crazy traffic street (you'll be looking across to the bus ramp thingy), make a left on the sidewalk, and there is a really nice laundromat 4 or 5 doors down. You can either do the washing yourself or the ladies who work there will wash and dry it for you. Very inexpensive, couple of dollars.

Sorry, can't help with the city you're in, I'm in Cuenca. Here, you will see many laundry establishments. Funny, many are called " Gringo Laundry " . Pretty much what we see stateside. A bunch of washers/ dryers lined up.
I wish you the best in your journey, and if you hit Cuenca, give me a call, free laundry service provided. < smile >
Stay Well,
Neil

As to your other questions about safety at night, are you talking about the old town? Because that place closes and locks up by 7PM. Everything closed and everybody gone home. Nothing open, nowhere to go at night except a couple of tourist cafes on the plaza which stay open a bit later.

Admittedly I wasn't alone in Quito alone, but I never felt unsafe.

We got lost on foot, went the wrong way on the bus to unknown parts, all the usual bumbling and nothing ever happened.

I did think the parks looked sketchy at night but there did seem to be a noticeable homeless population in Quito's park areas at night. There were also a lot of Policia in the park areas too.

We are fairly well traveled and I never got the sense that Quito was unusually or particularly dangerous.

But I'll tell you this, the closest I've ever come anywhere to being targeted on the street for theft was in London on Oxford St. Yes indeed, good old Blighty. So bad that I ducked into a shop quickly to stuff all my documents/cash/credit cards into boots and underwear because I could see that I was one sunglass vendor away from being robbed.

I'll take Quito over London any day.

Ask the hotel's room maid (discretely) or other type maintenance folks to point you to a local laundry service. Don't forget the exit gratuity of a few bucks if they deliver something reliable on this or any other questions.
As for hanging out alone, ask others you meet or have confidence in to point out a few ex pat gathering places. Use the taxi out front of the club/bar to get home. Don't go looking for a cab, ask the bartender or the bouncer for assistance in getting the cab.

Just do exactly what you would do in an American city that you're not familiar with, don't make yourself a mark by acting like a hick. Quito has above average crime by Ecuadorian standards as does Guayaquil. Coincidentally, Guayaquil is Ecuador's largest city with just over 2 million folks. Quito is 2nd with right around 1.2 million.
It may also help you to make some gal friends to run with even though your stay maybe short? Be great if they're bi-lingual till you get up to speed on Spanish?
Assuming you don't speak SA Spanish?
Either way, when in Rome do as

CB48,

how long are you in Quito for?  I live here.  I can't help with your laundry situation (lavenderias) are scattered all throughout the city.

I always weigh my clothes when I go into the laundrymat along with count them.  That way you don't have to worry about theft.

Feel free to email me any Quito questions while you are here.   

[email protected]

Mike
www.themiddleoftheworld.com

Before I got set-up with my own washer-drier, I used to pay 1$ a piece at a laundry in Mariscal Foch area. Still pay 50c for ironing when my housekeeper takes a break...If you are paying more, hit me up and I can direct you that shop.

Hello

I can help you, IŽm from ecuador, I can find a laundromat good and cheap, and I suggest you don`t go out alone at night and less on foot, the people is very nice but you should be careful like every where at night is dangerous.

samgeets wrote:

Before I got set-up with my own washer-drier, I used to pay 1$ a piece at a laundry in Mariscal Foch area. Still pay 50c for ironing when my housekeeper takes a break...If you are paying more, hit me up and I can direct you that shop.

A buck a piece?!?! Is it really that much?

Putting aside the ironing (I try to avoid owning things that require ironing) that seems awfully high.

Here, I pay 35 pesos (about $0.85) per kilo, and my monthly tab adds up to about $15-$18 for wash/dry/fold.

$5.00 per piece!!  Highway robbery

WOW...no, that is way too much. Go to Mariscal Foch area. At the junction of Joaquin Pinto and Reina Victoria...just one junction south of Foch...you have three laundries there that will do washing-cum-ironing of shirts, pants, blouses etc. for $1 and $1.50 for bed sheets etc. (basically large garments). Plenty more in that area as you walk around, including a shoe repair shop, luggage repair shop and even a shoe-shine! Just don't go at night...you are likely to be mugged.

If you want only ironing, they will charge you 0.50 a piece. Return same day for ironing and next day for washing cum ironing.