Facebook, Skype and Jobs in Shenzhen

Hello everybody!

I am going to live in Shenzhen with a friend for 5 months.
Therefore I was wondering about three important things:

1. Is it possible to access Facebook in Shenzhen?
2. Is it possible to use Skype in Shenzhen?
3. Can I take any jobs in Shenzhen to earn some extra cash? (e.g. waiter or anything else)

Thank you very much for your replies in advance!

Regards from Singapore
HamSingShen

Hello HamSingShen,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Do not hesitate to view other topics on the Shenzhen forum as well. ;)

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

1. Is it possible to access Facebook in Shenzhen?
   You may need some special tools like SSH, VPN to access. If you use google chrome, you can add hola unblocker, a plug-in.
2. Is it possible to use Skype in Shenzhen?
   Sure, Skype available in Shenzhen.
3. Can I take any jobs in Shenzhen to earn some extra cash? (e.g. waiter or anything else)
   Sorry, have no idea of this one. Wish you good luck

You'll need to get a VPN to access FB. Skype is no problem. Jobs...as a waiter or whatever as long as your Mandarin is really good...

Singaporeans don't need a visa to enter China, but you will have to exit every 2 weeks if you don't (pain in the butt unless you are staying close to the HK boder crossings in Luohu, Futian or Nanshan).

There is an app that can allow you to read and post in F B, its called social scope, for android smartphones. But you have to install it in your country before coming to china. Because it needs the permissions to access your data.

With the new visa regulations its always a risk taking a job without the working visa, last week several english teachers we detained in shenzhen for working without being allowed to.

were detained I mean, not that we detained them :D