Gratuity / Tipping

What is the appropriate practice regarding gratuity / tipping in China? If gratuity / tipping is appropriate and/or expected what are tipping rates?
Waiter
Bartender
Taxi
Bell Hop
Guide
Hairstylists
Etc.

I would give what I feel to give and I do make sure if the tip is already included. JW

Ummm. No tipping, at least in mainland. Many times people will be offended if you try to tip, they will consider it a loss of face.  Not to confuse you with the other guys response, but I'm surprised at his reply :)

When I first came to Shenzhen I tipped a food delivery guy and he returned me the money. When I insisted he said that it's against his company policy... Very honest guy...
But I'm not sure if people tip in SPA, anyone knows?

When we first came to SZ we were told not to tip but it just seemed wrong especially knowing how little some people are being paid. So we tip when we feel it is warranted and have never been turned down.  We tip the delivery folks a few rmb and if we find an especially nice taxi driver we will tip him as well. Restaurants generally include a gratuity.

In tradition and history of China's modern times cutlure, you don't have to worry about tipping.  But it doesn't mean that you can't give tips for some service you are satisfied.  It all depends.  I think too much tipping will spoil the local service people, and don't transfer the western way to this country.

yes, you are right
in gerenal speaking, chinese don't like collect the tips

David,  Since customer service is so bad here in SZ I have to disagree.  In a perfect world, service related workers would make a better living and be happier in their jobs. Realistically they are paid poorly, have no pride in their work and give very poor service.   Without tips as motivation, why should they try any harder than they have to? 

So when we find someone, taxi driver, restaurant server... who puts forth the effort, we in turn reward that effort.

As I know, the pay in Shenzhen is better than the rest of China. Low-pay workers under their lousy employers are consciously trying hard to get better benefits by means of switching jobs or working passively, and as a result the employers lose their competitiveness.  So this is rule of company survival.  Giving tips in Shenzhen is a personal choice, but my idea is not to compensate the bad employers and let them survive if they prolong the unreasonable company system.  This is different with some service people who largely rely on tips as their job nature.