How old can a car be to import it to Libya??

I was told if your car is older than 3 years you cannot bring it to Libya. Is this true? As I already own a car was looking to take it with me.

That can't be right, most cars here look 30yrs old.
Personally I'd sell the car in the UK and buy another here rather than go through the hassle of importing a vehicle. But if you've got the time & the patience, go for it.

I didn't think they allowed right-hookers in Libya?

I'm certain there was a law brought in a few years ago to stop the import of second hand cars although I dont know the details.

There used to be hundreds of second hand cards arriving in Libya every week, this was stopped and only new cars are imported now.

Flasher wrote:

I'm certain there was a law brought in a few years ago to stop the import of second hand cars although I dont know the details.

There used to be hundreds of second hand cards arriving in Libya every week, this was stopped and only new cars are imported now.

Surely that's for commercial import, not private import? I'd have thought you'd get a temporary import licence, that wouldn't allow you to sell it on.

Fair shout

You can not import it if it 3 years old.

Or if all the lights work, at least one corner or panel isn't dented or missing, if it doesn't rely on string, tape or hope to hold it together. The windscreen (if it has one) must be cracked, the suspension shot, tyres bald and the whole thing must look like it's going diagonally when it's viewed from behind. :)

I have bought a car from LA and sent it this year - it was a 2005 car.

They allow cars less than 5 years old. So its fine for your 3 year old car, you just ve to take care of the complicated processes

One more important question... are you aware of any import taxes or duties on the import of cars? I would appreciate if anyone can share any document etc that shares details!

Mudman wrote:

Or if all the lights work, at least one corner or panel isn't dented or missing, if it doesn't rely on string, tape or hope to hold it together. The windscreen (if it has one) must be cracked, the suspension shot, tyres bald and the whole thing must look like it's going diagonally when it's viewed from behind. :)

:lol::lol::lol: I was thinking at one point of taking my BMW M3 out here, oh how glad am I that I didn't :rolleyes: I am not even going to buy a car out here now. 2nd hand prices are higher than back in Scotland FFS, and the cars are nearly all in a sheeeeeiiite state. My mate is selling about the only roadworthy car that I see in the city centre on a daily basis. The new ones owned by ex pats look good, the rest well ....... Oh aye watch out for the 'import duty' which I THINK is a percentage of the cars value (awaiting someone to correct me).

Clansman wrote:

'import duty' which I THINK is a percentage of the cars value (awaiting someone to correct me).

Can up up to 60% of the current book price, so I hear. No idea who's price reference they use though.