Car import

Hello

can anyone share experience of importing car from abroad (US/Canada/UK). Just curious about the total local expenses ( duties+clearing cost etc)and process associated with it.
i heard that car over 3000cc (3 lit) cost 45% import duty and less than 3000cc is 7%.

Drive safe
Rgds
Waqas

Don't bother - for all the reasons in your post.

I looked at exporting a vehicle from Canada to Libya.  Loading/packing/shipping costs varied between $4000 - $7000.  I could never get a final word on duty, but what you wrote is about right.  Overall, I got the impression that it would be better to buy in Tripoli.

Also, worth pointing out is that the North American model of a vehicle is often different than the African model.  The parts for a North American Toyota Hilux and the African versions are different.  I had a friend take a Toyota Corolla to South Korea, when his car got broken into, he had to order new glass from the USA.

I am thinking about bringing my two over to Libya...how are the road surfaces..? They are very low sports cars (one is a 4 liter and the other a 5 liter engine) so dont cope well with rough roads. Also what Petrol is out there..? they have only ever been run on Shell V-Power (99 RON).

TIA
Claire

ukclaire wrote:

I am thinking about bringing my two over to Libya...how are the road surfaces..? They are very low sports cars (one is a 4 liter and the other a 5 liter engine) so dont cope well with rough roads. Also what Petrol is out there..? they have only ever been run on Shell V-Power (99 RON).

TIA
Claire

RHD vehicles?

Even if you're allowed to import RHD vehicles at all, the Police will have a field day with you driving some flash right-hooker lowrider sports job.

Fuel is officially 95 RON but I doubt it's actually the case.

The highways and main roads are OK, anything else and you'll soon crack the sump.

ukclaire wrote:

TIA
Claire

Luxury cars (Porsche) are subject to higher duty (up to 40% depends on how they are feeling teh day they assess it probably).

They are TVR's..so not in the Porker league for price, but yea they look flash even though they are basic.

Still, its something else for me to consider if I end up staying.

Thanks again boys.

Claire