Renting or working for rent in corizal

Hi everyone!

My husband and I visited Belize in 2004. We took a tour of all the districts. We fell in love with Corizal and Placencia for different reasons. Placencia was a great place to vacation, but Corizal was a great place to live.

We will be visiting again soon to find a place to retire. We are a little bit before retirement and we are not rich, nor are we looking for American amenities. We have no debts in the states and we are not consumers. Does anyone know where we can rent or work for rent for a reasonable place with no water heater, air conditioning, dish washer, maid service, or any of the other things most of the Stateside people think they need?

"no water heater, air conditioning, dish washer, maid service" - well, that would describe most places in Corozal. You would have a hard time finding any place with those luxuries. Also add no TV and no internet to your list. Even getting internet service and TV is often a problem (depending on the area).  I don't think I've even seen a dish washer since I've been here. :)

There are several options, you can look at the real estate listings on line - they have homes for rent in with the houses for sale. Realtors like Remax and Century BTaL21 often post rentals. There are other property management companies on-line that have rentals. There is also craigslist and craigslist belize.
You will have to pay 1st and last month - plus one month security deposit on a long term rental. This seems to be standard.  It may be tempting to by- pass that and find a place without a lease, but when you come to renew your monthly visitors permit, the officer can ask you for a copy of your lease( as well as a bank statement). It doesn't happen in other areas, but it is standard at the Corozal Immigration Office.
Utilities are usually extra - so factor that in when looking at rental prices. 2Mbps( which is probably 1/10 of your US speed) is about BZ$250 plus there are modem charges etc. If you have to have it installed, they charge non-residents a BZ$1000 deposit. Also, you may get sticker shock at your electricity bill.

There are several hotels that have long term apts for rent. The 'quoted price' is more usually expensive than a house- but they include utilities. This often makes them a better deal.

Hawk, who contributes here, often recommends the Maya Hotel, which is close to town.
Many of your options will depend on whether or not you plan to have a car or truck in Belize. There are allot of really nice, inexpensive 'off the grid places', but you need a good solid truck to get to them.

Just be careful about " work for rent". You need a work permit in Belize to do any "work" - even volunteer work needs a work permit. You have to be here for 6 months before you can even apply for one. It is done through the Labour Dept. The cost for a work permit is just over US $1000 and it must be renewed every year until you have your residency permit. If you come in on the QRP program, then you cannot work at all.

Booking into a short term rental for a few months will give you a chance to look around. You will also get better 'deals' when you know people here. From there you can find a longer term rental, then eventually something to buy. Don't be in a rush to jump into something - take your time.

You may want to check out Royal Colony Estates in Corozal. It's set up much like our 'gated communities' in USA....even has a community pool, guard house, and a 2-car garage. Lots are relatively inexpensive, and a complete house (1500-1600 sq.ft.) would be in the $150K. range. I was very impressed with the builder, George Moralez, Jr. (nice family man w/wife and 3 young daughters). We visited all the main spots in Belize in March- Placencia, Cayo District, Ambergris Caye, BC, Orange Walk, etc. But, we fell in love w/ Corozal. We'll return in March to finalize plans w/ George and return again in June permanently. I'm sure George would be glad to answer any questions you have. His email address is: georgemoralezjr@hotmail.com. His website (where you can view construction): www.royalcolonyestate.4t.com. Let me know if I can help you. One final thing: I've found Hawk and Corozal Dave to be extremely helpful when I have a question. RICK and LINDA

Royal Colony Estates is a nice place, in a semi-remote area, just off Consejo Rd, but there are only 2 houses there so far and I believe that both houses are either rented or sold.

One of the houses in RCE that did have an ad for rental a few months ago, but they wanted about $1200 US per month.
You can find nice, furnished places in the outlying areas near Corozal for the US$450-$650 price range. If you want to rent an unfurnished house in town, you can find them for less than $450.

Thanks for all the information!

I think we have stayed at the Maya before.

Also, last time we came through, there was an internet place in town where you could pay by the hour. Is it gone?

I had forgotten about Craigslist Belize. I will be looking there too.

Thanks again everyone!

We'll be renting one of the houses there at Royal Colony Estates in March and then again while our house (across the street) is being completed when we return in June. I get the impression that the rent is negotiable. I found it to be reasonable considering all the amenities, but that's just my opinion. RICK

we rent a house in the suburbs of Corozal.  too far to walk to town.  $550 belize a mo, pay all our own utilities.  Inland, without AC, would be unbearable in my opinion.  summers in the sub-tropics are naturally subtropical....   hot and humid.   second story near within 2 blocks of ocean may be OK without AC.  My AC bill here is twice what it was in Atlanta for 1/2 the sq foot.  kris

Thanks for the info Kris. We appreciate anything we can learn. Did you find your house after you got to Belize? When we were there last time, it seemed that was the way to do it. Also, is there still an internet place in town to pay by the hour? Phyllis

greenleaf wrote:

Thanks for the info Kris. We appreciate anything we can learn. Did you find your house after you got to Belize? When we were there last time, it seemed that was the way to do it. Also, is there still an internet place in town to pay by the hour? Phyllis

There are at least two Internet cafes in Corozal,where you can pay by the hour.  When are you planning to come?
Cathie