Import tax for vehicles

Hi there. Moving to Ecuador hopefully soon and am thinking about driving to Costa Rica and then shipping our vehicle to Ecuador. Does any one know the import tax on this? Also, is there any golf?

Thanks, Chris

VW Gols are more common around here then VW Golfs.

Don't have a clue what import taxes are, but once you have been a legal resident for a year, you can import a vehicle tax free, as long as it is not more then 4 years old, does not have a motor bigger then 3.0L and is not worth more then $20K. Anything outside of those parameters is taxable.

Sorry but only Ecuadorians returning to the country are allowed to bring cars without taxes.
Foreigners moving to Ecuador are not allowed to bring any kind of car, bikes, motorboats, etc.

This are the rules as few months ago and I don't think they change.

So not allowed at any cost? Or just pay tax? Deal is a 2010 Ford Escape with 15,000km we bought new, just have not driven it lots. about 10k left owing so if we sold it we would only get about 10k in pocket so might as well keep it. i know there were restrictions on electronics etc., but not importing for profit. 

Rolling with the punches,

Chris

Well, you can try, but the burocratic problems and documents you will need, taxes. The fact you're bringing and American car from Costa Rica.
It will not worth it and you probably will pay more money in movings and taxes than the value of the car.

Notice moving from Costa Rica to Ecuador is more expensive than moving from the US to Ecuador.

Well, this is one confusing topic with several conflicting viewpoints. This link may help, although I don't see any direct link that answers the question. More viewpoints I suppose, but at least there is some explanation for the consensus found here.

http://www.expatexchange.com/expat/inde … id=3370474

Holy crap you guys. I went to the link from Joseph and looks to be true. No bringing your vehicle. Only reason we wanted to was to travel. South America is a big beautiful country, let alone Ecuador itself. Looks like we will shelf the idea of bringing our's and look for one when we are there. Thought it would be an adventure and maybe save a few bucks. It would be a vehicle from Canada not the US, but likely same result. Costa Rica is just a shipping point, no sense driving into Panama, and no getting past the Gap, and really would not want to drive through Columbia, even if I could get there, Mexico and middle America would be bad enough. I got a belly, so walking could do me some good.

Chris

You can travel throughout the continent (not country) of South America with your own vehicle. The catch is that each individual country has slightly different regulations on how long the vehicle can be in the country without paying an import tax. Anywhere from a month to three, if I recall correctly.

If you have resided in Ecuador for more then a year and have a immigrant visa you can import newer vehicles tax free, along with your household goods.

I suspect many are in a hurry and try to import stuff within a few months of arriving. It doesn't work that way. If you're making a permanent move to a completely different world, taking a year or two to make the switch is no big hardship, no?

For more info on permanently importing a vehicle to Ecuador, check out this thread on the Spanish side of this forum: Traer coche a Ecuador

Yes, there's a way to travel from country to country with a car. I think you can get a special permit at any automovil club, is like a passport for the car and everytime you cross a border you get a stamp. You havelimited days allowed in every country.

The catch is the car has to enter and leave the country in the time allowed. It can't be sold or stay in any other country. 

Vinny

Interesting. Not trying to bring in and sell, just be nice to have something that works, and is paid for. Only 15,000km and simple, no electronics to fix, 6cly, good on fuel. Trying to make life simpler, so a little more research and I guess we take the lumps.

Hi out there does anyone know about what it cost and the exceptable age of a vehicle  (truck 2 door)

I want to get it to  Vilcabamba    ,

Thanks

Talked to Joseph on another thread and I think his advice was good to check with Ecuadorian Consulate for most definitive info and it sounds like the rules change all the time