Advice on how to get a job!

Hi there

I am currently living in Dubai and married to a Sri Lankan national. We have been here 4 years and now we want to move back to Sri Lanka. We have some plans to set up our own business but not for a few years yet so until then I would need to find work. I am a UK national with teaching experience (no qualification) and I have a career in Hopsitality/F+B.

Could anyone give me some advice on what kind on job I should look for, how easy it would be, and if I would need a working visa for this.

Location is not an issue! I can speak basic Sinhala and moderate Tamil.

Thanks in advance for any replies and help!

Laila :-)

Hello Laila and welcome to Expat.com :)

As your professional background is closer to the hospitality sector, i would advise you to post an advert in the  Hotel, catering, bar, restaurant and tourism jobs in Sri Lanka section.

This might be of a great help.

You may also browse the other threads on the Sri Lanka Forum, section Information on visas Sri Lanka better insights.

Regards

Karen :)

Hi Laila. Perhaps you could try your luck with some of the many international schools in Colombo. If not a teaching job, at least you may be able to get some administrative job. You may need a work visa, but I am notnsure how strict the authorities will be. Being married to a Sri Lankan should give you some privileges when it comes to visas and work permits, but Its best you have it checked with the Immigration authorities.

Another source of employment could be with an NGO. The pay may not be high but you will be doing something for society.

A few ideas. Best wishes!

Thanks for your advice!

We are still looking at options as we want to move back in just 4 weeks time. Does anyone else have any advice on how to get a job?

Thanks!