Biking and Swimming

We are seriously considering moving to Ecuador.  We are currently looking at Cotacachi or a similar town.  We are in the process of doing our homework and getting ready to come down for a couple of months to check everything out. 

As an ex-marathoner and triathlete, I still work out regularly.  Running, of course, is not a problem, since you can run anywhere.  But I'm wondering about the biking and swimming.  Are there any lap pools available.  I would suspect I would find lap pools in the large towns like Quito or Guayaquil, but what about the smaller towns like Cotacachi. 

And what about biking.  I'm talking about biking for exercise, not transportation, on a good touring or mountain bike.  I don't know what the roads are like or how dangerous they are. 

Thanks,

David

First off, say Hey to Brett.

I can't speak for other areas, but as far as Cuenca, I can make a few observations.
As far as bikes are concerned, it seems there is a bike shop on every block. There are huge bike group runs through the city, mainly following the river, it seems almost weekly.  Whether these are charity runs or not, I can't say. Suffice to say there is a huge bicycle community in Cuenca.
Cuenca also boasts an Olympic sized pool. Admission is a buck n' a half for the day. It also has a platform diving pool.
So, hopefully others can chime in regarding other areas, but all your desire could be met in Cuenca. For sure!
Good Luck,
Neil

Check out YouTube . I found an awesome video of a downhill trail ride near Cotacachi that was almost all downhill . An adrenaline ride to say the least. Hope this helps.

Our neighbor across the street is an absolute fanatic about bike riding.  When you get here I can put you in touch with him. 

They go on 60k rides into the mountains etc.  There is another lady I know who rides with a group here in Cuenca.  Suffice to say, that is not going to be a concern here.

Thanks.  Looks like you are in Cuenca.  Any info on Cotacachi where we are currently considering.

David

Sorry, no

While passing through Otavalo (near Cotocatchi) this past weekend, I saw a billboard for Centro Cultural y Recreativo Neptuno.  Looks like it has a heated swimming pool and some other recreational stuff.  I don't know much more about it other than what Google can tell me. 

For biking and running anywhere in Ecuador, be aware of dogs.  They will often chase a runner/cyclist, but most dogs in Ecuador can easily be scared off.