Volunteer Work in Rio

Hello, my name is Laura, I just moved to Rio with my husband. I have been researching charities online to volunteer my time but have found that most of what's out there is for people wanting to travel to Rio for a volunteer project requiring lodging with the organization etc. Does anyone know of a good volunteer program/charity to recommend me? I'm looking for somewhere to visit a few hours a week to help. I speak English and Spanish fluently and very little portuguese (which will hopefully get better quick).

Thank you!

Hi Laura,

You have to be very careful about volunteer work if you are on a Tourist Visa. Remunerated work of any kind is not permitted on a VITUR, so if there is any kind of stipend paid for such things as lodging, meals or anything like that you could run into some problems with the Feds. As long as you would receive no money at all there should be absolutely no problems with volunteering.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi Laura, do you have any updates about this? I'm looking for something similar!

Thanks!

Rgds

Sandra, you can look for Vera in Saúde Criança, please take a look on the site:
saudecrianca.org.br/

Hi Laura,

There is a very good organisation called i2i (Dois Irmãos) based in Rocinha where you can work as an unpaid volunteer.  They do out of school hours education for the kids from the favela, and is a charity I really believe are doing valuable work in the community.

I also came to Rio to volunteer late last year with the intention of volunteering through Iko Poran (they also partner with IVHQ) who in my opinion are NOT a worthwhile charity.  It's more "voluntourism" for kids on their GAP year who feel like partying in Rio - not my thing.  Lucky I didn't pay for any lodging or anything before I arrived, as after seeing a little bit of what they were about I decided it wasn't for me!

Good luck & let us know how you go!

Megan

If you're looking to volunteer with youth in favelas, a few organizations I can personally recommend (from knowing people who volunteered there or work there) are:

- Two Brothers Foundation in Rocinha
- Rocinha Surf School in Rocinha
- Alzira de Aleluia in Vidigal
- Saúde Criança (previously mentioned) in favelas throughout Rio

Also, Favela Adventures has a good list of some other favela-based volunteering opportunities.

If anyone has questions about volunteering, send me an email at [email protected].

Hi all,

Just a reminder that if you are in Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa, this does not permit remunerated work in Brazil. This would include any kind of volunteer work that paid you a stipend or allowance.

If you do wish to volunteer and the position pays a stipend or allowance of any kind for accommodations or meals see if you can work out a deal by which the organization will pay those directly to the provider and not to you or that they provide the accomodations and meals. This would then keep you out of any problems with the Federal Police.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team