Banking

My wife and I will be retiring soon to CR. The question I have is when we move we will be applying for a Pensionado Residence and I have heard that you could not open a bank acct. until you are approved. How do we open an acct. to live on until we are approved? Do we have to use ATM'S until we are approved or can we open an account some other way? Jerry

Some banks require a residency card Banco National does not. I just use the ATM  it cost me a fee of about $9 to pull out $300 (conversion charge) my bank refuns the $3 internation atm fee.

Hi CGB, Can we transfer funds from the states in an amount wher they will not charge you a ATMfee?

You could open an account with HSBC or Scotia Bank in the US since both are found here too. But it may depend on where you want to live since both of those banks are located mainly in the Central Valley.

Hi Girl, we have decided on Grecia and I don't think that they have one in the city. I was hoping that I could open an acct. by transferring money from my bank in Texas to a local bank in Grecia until I get approved for my Residence. I guess I may have to live at the ATM'S until I'am approved.

You can tranfer money from the states to a bank herexand then use the atm with your new shiny banco natinal card with no fee. You will never escape a converion fee BUT as part of pensionado residency reqiurments you have to convert ten thousand per year anyway so its a moot point?

Thanks, I think my head will explode before I arrive in CR.

Its nothing to stress over Jerry- TRANQUILO

Your right, Pura Vida!

I have to laugh at your statement because I have been thinking the same thing!  WE have been researching moving to Costa Rica when  my husband retires in 1-2 years and Holy Cow it does seem difficult. How will we possibly remember all these different requirements?  By the time we feel confident that we have not forgotten anything, the laws will change just as we are about to move!  LOL

I have to agree with an earlier post I read about hiring a good lawyer for a larger fee but he/she takes over almost everything and handles it all!

Andrea

Andrea, it is true about lawyers, but I was very lucky and mine explained to me every detail and how to use check and balances, so I did not feel helpless. Unfortunately, that is not the case with most expats. The stories I have heard and witnessed are heartbreaking. Even about ARCR!! Develop a relationship with your lawyer (I did!) because you do need them for almost everything, even just buying a car. DO NOT let an attorney or real estate agent pressure you into buying anything! It is a buyers market here and trust me, your property is not going anywhere. DO NOT use the law firm recommended by a real estate company and ALWAYS hire an outside notary too (lawyers and notaries should be separated! Even though notaries are lawyers...I know it's confusing). You do not need a corporation to buy a house or a car. Expats can own land outright and that "corporation" will not "protect" your assets. Good luck!!

We are bringing our vehicle with us and going to rent for a while, so I mostly concerned with having a lawyer for all the "paperwork"...drivers licence, insurance, dealing with the process of applying for residency etc...We are making a check list so that we do not forget anything important...going to be spending some time at the Costa Rician Embassy in Ottawa as well.

WE will be as prepared as we can be...I am a pessimist so I like to have as many bases covered as humanly possible.  Expect the worst but hope for the best...so the saying goes.

@DDTICA ,

Concerning this statement "You do not need a corporation to buy a house or a car. Expats can own land outright and that "corporation" will not "protect" your assets. Good luck!!"

That's correct but after you bought a house , you need a corporation to be able to subscribe to services like electrecity , water , telephone/internet .....   unless you have already the residence card

Yes, Bottrader you are correct. Residency should only take little over a year. During that time, I rented and became accustomed to CR. It was a good time to leisurely browse for property and get a firm handle on what I was in for.
Flower44: I hope you have contacted a lawyer in CR already so you can be sure to have all the papers you need in order before you get here. It will make things a lot easier and cheaper. I had a friend whose lawyer told her what she needed but "conveniently" forgot to tell her they needed to be apostled. Of course that firm would send all the paperwork back for the apostle for $$$$. Good luck!

Thanks,  we are going to be visiting the Costa Rician Embassy here in Ottawa, Canada before we do anything, and then hopefully going to get a referral of a good lawyer from the ACRC group in Costa Rica.  I will have triple of everything before we even board the plane!  Same with the shipping information.  There have been some wonderful people on this site as well as the ACRC site that have been very helpful with advise about shipping and inventory lists...etc...

I do not think that Canadians have to get this apostle thingy...but i could be wrong...

Andrea

EVERYONE gets the apostle. Beware of ARCR too.

+ 1

As per the costarician immigration department and my experience of filing the residency demand to this immigration department

Todos los documentos que provengan del exterior, deberán
estar debidamente apostillados
o legalizados por el Cónsul de
Costa Rica en su país y autenticado por el Ministerio de
Relaciones Exteriores y Culto de Costa Rica; con los aranceles
consulares respectivos debidamente cancelados, o las
certificaciones emitidas por las autoridades consulares del
país de origen de la persona extranjera, acreditadas en Costa
Rica, siempre y cuando exista el convenio correspondiente
con la Dirección General para la emisión de estos
documentos.

Do let us know how it goes. We recently purchased a house but do not intent on retiring for some time (10 years or so....) and rent it out as a vacation rental in the interim.

Paul.