CC Issues

Okay, before I left the states, I informed my CC/Debit bank that I was going to be using it in Ecuador. They said cool, no sweat.
So, I tried it in a couple of ATM'S with no luck. Then I went to Super Maxi yesterday < with cash in my pocket > and I gave the gal the same card, she swiped it, no problemo! So, I know the card works here, so whats the issue?
Also, I've tried to use 2 different cards here to pay for services back in the states, and they are not accepted, so I think it has something to do with the vendor seeing this charge is coming out of a different country? Does anyone know if that's a proxy setting or something on my computer?
I'd like to get this resolved. Kinda frustrating.
Thanks for any advice.
Stay Well,
Neil

I initially had periodic problems with using my atm/debit card to withdraw cash at some banks, but genenerally had good luck with Bank Pichincha on the corner of Solano Ave and 12 de Abril.

Using credit card to pay for services could be associated with their identifying that your ip address is in Ecuador, especially if the billing address for those cards is the U.S.. Check my thread about Shipping and receiving.  There is a utility you can install that you gives you the appearance of being in the U.S.

Too funny. I remember that thread, and had to laugh when I saw the Keene shoes again. I just bought a another pair just before I left, the exact same pair. Nokomis Shoe Shop in Minneapolis MN.
They ship. They of course have a web site. I absolutely love the store. Very cool stuff in there. I'm sure they are waaaay more expensive than on Amazon though.
Anyway, thanks for the link, but I'm flumuxed. Could you pm me a guide line of what steps to take once on the site when ever you get a chance?
I'd appreciate it. I was hoping I'd just hit a download button.
Stay Well,
Neil

I will walk you through here:

1. click on this link, and the download will commence

2. Once the utility finishes, a dialog screen will pop-up asking you to create an account click that button. You only need the "Basic Account" which is free.

3. Once signed up you enter the account name and password into the utility and off you go.  Look in the in-tray in the lower-right corner of your computer. It shows the icon as green if you are connected to the proxy server in Dallas.

4. I would probably close your browser at this point and then re-open it, and go to website of the service you wish to pay.

I should add that once the proxy utility is activated, your browsing performance will be reduced since they intentionally pinch the bandwidth with the free account.

Once you have completed the transaction you will want to right click the icon in the in-tray and disconnect. Then I would close and re-open browser again.

One other possibility I want to throw out regarding your problem is if you opened a new p.o. box in the states which you use as your mailing address for your credit cards, it could be you forgot to inform the utility company that your billing address has changed. In that case you need to update your profile with the utility company.

Problems with credit cards happend everywhere, computer banks realize that the payment is made in another country and then is not allowed. It happens if you try to buy online too.

It happened to my in the States, I order some items by internet but ask for delivery in another state, not in my real address. No way, I tried to do it several times with no luck, I went to the bank to allow the delivery but they told me they can't change the way the system is working. So, I never was able to do the purchase.
Computers rule the world!!!