Residence Permit

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I and looking to move to Greece next Feb/March and will be working on a self employed basis, we already own a small house over there and I have a tax number (that I needed to purchase the house) but we now need to know whether we will need a residence permit? we are both from the uk (so are eu citizens) but as we are going to need to buy a car will we need the permit to be able to do this? as well as work in Greece, any help would be appreciated along with any additional information regarding what other if anything documents/permits we may need

Many Thanks

Citycastaways

you do need a certificate of registration if you stay more than 90 days,which can be got at police stations,my friend got hers at a local council office.You can be fined without one and actually it can be useful to you,I needed some legal papers for my house which had to be sighned,I didnt have it and things got tricky.I think its quite cheap and painless.There are websites which tell you what documents you need to show,just be careful of your originals.

In practice if you are a EU citizen you don't need a residence permit to buy a house, but you do need one to buy a car (or motorbike).  See the article at https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/g … ermit.html

hi While we are on the subject of legal things,I would remind people who own property in Greece that the land registry lark is up and running again and the government website on this subject shows the new areas being covered at the moment,lots around Athens,Corinthos and many Islands.They say that if people do not register and then after the four years finalise the information the property will be labeled----owner unknown and will be deemed to be owned by the state.This also applies to land,all ownership.Another head on the way ha.

What is a certificate of registration?  When I rented an apartment I got a tax number.  Where do I go to get this certificate of registration  I do need to buy a car.  How and where do I apply for a residence permit?

Thanks in advance!

Joan

hi joan you need to go to your nearest police station with lots of bits of paper,the cost is small I believe and it is quite painless.Look on a government web site and they will tell you want papers you need to show.As for buying a car,do you have people to help you or are you knowledgeable about such things.If you need help my husband has a very good contact with car dealer and my husband spent his youth as a mechanic,if you need advice at all please ask and we will help you where we can,how are you getting along in athens and with your studies?Perhaps we could meet for coffee downtown if you want sometime.from concertina

Thanks so much for replying and helpful information.

I am enjoying learning Greek!

I sure would like to meet for coffee one day, that would be nice.

Will be in touch.

Joan Doreen

Hi everyone, on residence and other bits of paper for the government, the ermis . gov . gr site has been a lifesaver

THANK YOU