Greek Visa's

Hello all,
I am a retire US Military member and I am looking to move to Crete. I have the Money to be self supportive and would like to apply for a resident visa. I can afford my own housing and pay for everything. How hard will it be to obtain a visa and what is the proper process. Any information will be helpful.

I believe you can get a resident permit if you buy a property valued at 250,000 Euro or more.  Otherwise, you need to apply for long-stay visa in the US, then a 2 yr residence permit once you arrive in GR.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how long it takes to process the paperwork and an estimate on the cost.

Sorry I have no idea how long it takes to process or costs involved.  Unless another member can answer soon, you may need to contact the Embassy and ask; or search their website.

Hi,surely if you are going to live in Greece with your future wife then when you are actually married legally your right of residence will be a much easier thing to achieve,Greece does not have the same stringent rules as the UK for example when bringing a non British or EU spouse to live in the UK.

Thanks, We realize that. After checking the Embassy site, I will come for the 90 days then request an extension. We will not get married right away when I arrive unless the situation changes (we are trying to have a baby). I am coming over for a week starting Sunday and will check out the local laws while I am there. if there ia any other advise that you have please let me know.

Just to say that it would probably be a very good idea to walk into a law office on Crete,one that deals with your type of law issues,they mostly all speak fluent English,you could make the appointment from now by researching on line a good lawyer and contacting them before you arrive so that you get to see them real fast once your feet touch the ground,then you will know exactly how to deal with your situation within the Greek law.

Thanks for that. I will start looking now. I am not looking to move until September but want to get a head of the game now.  if I have any other question can I ask for your advice.  Thanks again.

Dear abmeggett,of course you can,fire away anything you want,we are here to help you as best we can and sometimes a little emotional support goes a long way too.