JUC female branch and it was AWFUL!

Hi All,

I just had an interview with JUC female branch (Jubail University College) and it was AWFUL! I wanted to ask if anyone else had such an experience with them - or maybe I'm just imagining it? The problems I had were as follows:

1. They did a Skype interview and made me turn on my video but wouldn't show themselves.

2. They apparently hadn't read my resume because they asked me about my experience from many years ago, as opposed to my most recent experience which was more relevant. 

3. They didn't tell me anything about the program or college or who I would be teaching.

4. They didn't ask me if I had any questions or seem to invite questions.

5. The questions asked seemed more to try to "stump" me - asking vague questions and then getting impatient when I asked for more details and seeming already to be annoyed despite knowing me for less than 10 minutes.

6. The head interviewer was very cold and condescending - and gave out bad vibes - can't describe it any other way.

Having worked with Eastern females before, I'm used to catty & high school-ish behavior (cold cliquish females I mean), but I felt like they were sort of at the extreme end. To be fair, one of the women seemed nice (from what I could hear!) and so I don't know if it was just the luck of the draw for me.

That said, I wanted to ask how females workng at JUC feel about it. I'm totally turned off, but I'm not really sure where I'll end up because I"m going wherever hubby goes.  He says it's DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, but I still want to get more info.

Thanks!
KM

Hi kathiri,

For better view, I created a new thread from you post on the Jubail Forum, hope this might help.

Best wishes,

David.

hi KM,
Sorry to know about your unfortunate interview experience. Being a recruiter i understand how frustrating a horrible interview experience could be. i would like you to take the advice of your husband and dont even bother about it.

Go with your gut.  If they are this bad on the phone, imagine trying to work with/for them? 

I recently had a skype interview and I was so disturbed at the circumstances of the position that several times during the interview, I said, "We'd better just forget about this.  It's not going to work" but the recruiter just kept talking and insisted on sending me a contract anyway.  Told me to *think* about it :lol:  Well, not much to think about!

Go with your GUT!

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Couldn't find it though. Any idea on how I would go about finding it?

KM

Alliecat wrote:

Go with your gut.  If they are this bad on the phone, imagine trying to work with/for them? 

I recently had a skype interview and I was so disturbed at the circumstances of the position that several times during the interview, I said, "We'd better just forget about this.  It's not going to work" but the recruiter just kept talking and insisted on sending me a contract anyway.  Told me to *think* about it :lol:  Well, not much to think about!

Go with your GUT!

Sound awful! This has actually been my first awful interviewing experience EVER, so I guess I'm lucky.  Yet it was not fun.  Sorry to hear about your experience though.

I wonder if this kind of thing is common here. Like I said I've been lucky.  For the most part I've only been interviewed by middle-aged laid-back Western males who seemed happy with their lives and not the least bit inclined to try to "prove themselves"! :)

kathiri wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Couldn't find it though. Any idea on how I would go about finding it?

KM

You're on it now.  He moved you.

kathiri wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Go with your GUT!

Sound awful! This has actually been my first awful interviewing experience EVER, so I guess I'm lucky.  Yet it was not fun.  Sorry to hear about your experience though.

I wonder if this kind of thing is common here. Like I said I've been lucky.  For the most part I've only been interviewed by middle-aged laid-back Western males who seemed happy with their lives and not the least bit inclined to try to "prove themselves"! :)

Oh my experience wasn't unpleasant ... just verified what I know about so many recruiters being unscrupulous! (apologies to any scrupulous recruiters on the blog lol).  Just telling me what he thought I wanted to hear because once I landed, it would be too late.

Just got my offer letter from JUC - Jubail University College. It was awful. Awful, awful, awful. Most condescending and callous - if a contract could be that, this one was. Anyone who's gotten an offer letter from them would know what I'm talking about. (Not to mention the lowest salary I've ever been offered for any ESL job.) Anyway, so that settles that (& cross JUC off from my list of possibles!)

My two cents: If you're thinking about JUC, think twice at least. There are many other schools out there that are more employee-friendly.

Just don't stress yourself out.  I think they were not interested in hiring you to begin with, but had to conduct the interview and make offer etc only to show to their superiors that they DID IT.  Or you were probably more qualified (read better) than the interviewers and they didn't want you to join for their own job security!  Don't let just ONE bad experience deflate your confidence. Stay positive and you will find a better place.

Dn't worry. Have faith! May be you will get another good opportunity.

kamal20133 wrote:

[moderated: off topic.]

Eye candy? :whistle:

Mohammadosama wrote:

Dn't worry. Have faith! May be you will get another good opportunity.

To be fair, when I examined the offer more closely, I realized that the salary and benefits were fine, not the best, but quite okay. However, the way it was presented really wasn't that great. This is something they should keep in mind when making offers to potential employees, not that they're reading this. :/

And, to be fair, it could have been me. But, being me, I'm most thankful not to be there after my experience.

Also, I'm happy to say, I got something much better and something that I am quite satisfied with.

[Besides, who knows what the teaching would have been like at JUC, after all that? (They never actually told me. :rolleyes:)]