Teachers Salary - Guangzhou

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to move to Guangzhou this summer to teach English. Can someone give me any advice on what kind of salary I can expect? I'd appreciate any advice on living in Guangzhou - living costs, is it difficult to make friends etc? Thanks so much :)

hi, Lisa,

welcome to Guangzhou.

It seems nowadays, foreign teacher(particularly native english speaker) is very popular in China. here in guangzhou also definitely.

i am not in the field of teaching(education).

as far as i know, salary is quite varied depending much on what kind of schools, what students, where you teaching...many many factors ...

mostly, here, it seems it is RMB8000-12000 ...I AM NOT SURE.

you can email me by :   [email protected]

so that we can share more....

GOOD LUCK.

Raymond

it depends on your qualification and previous experience.

It is easy to make friend.

yes is easy to make friends if you like we can be freind  [email protected]

salaries vary, depending on the school/institute, and on your experience/qualifications, but generally, for full time, between 10000 and 18000 rmb per month. Or if hourly, between 120 and 200 rmb per hour if you go through an agent or language centre (which most ppl do) but apparently a lot more than that (400 to 600 per hour!!) if you can find students yourself, avoiding the agent's cut. Though that would take some time to acquire students.
gzstuff.com is pretty good in terms of finding out about events, meeting ppl, etc.
Good luck

umm.. what does that even mean?

like any other job, it depends on your experience, qualifications, expertise, skill, ability, performance, and many other factors

off hand, i'd say pretty low.. since "Teachers" rather implies you arent really one, and are rather an "English Speaker", a skill you were born with which isnt really deserving of any sort of accolades, let alone payment... and also implies you are likely much more of an adventurer or traveler, rather than a career-minded, Second-Language Education Professional

-

[ moderated: no free ad. Please register in the Guangzhou business directory. Thanks.]

Aloha.com wrote:

umm.. what does that even mean?

like any other job, it depends on your experience, qualifications, expertise, skill, ability, performance, and many other factors

off hand, i'd say pretty low.. since "Teachers" rather implies you arent really one, and are rather an "English Speaker", a skill you were born with which isnt really deserving of any sort of accolades, let alone payment... and also implies you are likely much more of an adventurer or traveler, rather than a career-minded, Second-Language Education Professional

-

Ummmmm.....
WOW! You Sir are very rude.

Anyways .....

Dear job seeking friends.
Salary ranges between 5000 to 7000/8000 if you you are a graduate.
Experience adds another 2 thousand and a TOEFL certificate adds another 2 thousand.
Making your total to 12000.
But just a tip you will need a working knowledge of Mandarin if you go for a private institute job teaching adults.
Job with a School or kindergarten doesn't necessarily require it and if needed they provide classes.

wow.. seriously?

"teaching english in china" is widely known to be a method for travelers & backpackers who want to usually simply party, get away from their homeland, are on the run, or think its easy money.

In China, the profession is suffering, and not taken seriously, as TEFL Instruction is in other countries, such as Japan, Korea, & Europe

and, as such, you get paid for what you are.. and its what you actually deserve.. you are likely not even educated in ESL Instruction nor are you likely career-minded, and you're ignorant enough to not even have respect for the actual profession..

go on, teach away.

even though, deep down, you know you probably shouldnt be

Post Graduated in English Literature and Language Teaching
As well as Teaching of History
And a Toefl certification.
I think AFTER 18 years of education and 4 years of working I am qualified enough to have some idea about what I am saying.

@ Aloha.com
Computer Science degree.
Primary school PGCE.
2 years post QTS qualification teaching in UK state schools.
TOEFL qualified.
Several months volunteer teaching in Asia.
2 years teaching English in Asia.
Plenty of travel done amidst it.
Sorry about that.

I am offered a teaching job of 1000 dollars in China. Is it enough to live on and save something?

I have a friend who has just opened up an education center and is requiring good NET teachers.
I can pass you details if you are still interested.

Good luck with your job hunt.

I teach ESL in China, around 9000rmb on 20-30 hours, private school, That's with a BA. TEFL. Native mature Brit. Good luck on you`re hunt. Another note, universities do pay less than a private gig. God knows why! That's China for you. As a teacher China is not the best for remittance, Saudi at the moment, you could easily land 46K a year.

I don't want to brag but in Shanghai, you don't need a BA, a tefl is enough to get you 18 000k for 20 hours work.

@ Pete555

Without a BA you can only get illegal employment.
A Bachelor degree is required to get the work (z) visa. Authorities are getting more and more strict on this, and they will deport you if you get caught. There is even a bonus for everybody who dismantles illegal teachers: 5000 per dismantled illegal teacher! Some locals will be happy to double their salary for one month.

So be careful, and work only with a legal work visa.

I am an American in Anhui,hefei china since 2006

I own my own WFOE American single owned company in China, licensed and legal under my legal name.

if you have any question's we are sure to help!

my name is Timothy Scott Mercurio

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share Emails/ External groups/ Websites on the forum. We have a private message system for private contact infos.

Hello quwai

Could you please register your company in our Business Directory?

Please note also that we have special sections for adverts concerning jobs and that the forum should be used only to share informations about expatriation.

Regards
Kenjee

If it is possible, I'd like to know more about that institution too ;D.
I'm a native Spanish teacher with theatrical and teaching experience (specially to children and teenage students). I can also speak English and Italian.

Thank you very much =3.