How do you solve a problem with mosquitoes? :)

Hi all!
Who knows WHY in Malta on the windows is no mosquito nets? How do you solve a problem with mosquitoes?

SmallT,

I have mosquito nets at my windows but I don't know for what! First of all they have holes big enough for doves. Second mosquitos can come in through the ventilation holes or simply through the doors and windows. I have 1cm gaps between the door/window and frame ;-)

Normally I sleep on the roof terrace. My bed is under a mosquito net (IKEA, Amazon) and I have a veritable  lavender plantations on the terrace and on the balconies as well. They say it helps. Don't know but it smells nice..

Likki

Thanks a lot for the answer, Likki! but then the second question, Malta has IKEA??? :)

Malta has no Ikea, but there are services that get you Ikea stuff from Italy, maybe some else know a website.

Other than that, the mosquito problem is really annoying and we always have everything closed when its getting dark

Mozzies are attracted to your exhaled breath and lighting too - their normal feeding height is about 6-8inches hence the likely hood of being bitten on the lower legs...

a good silent fan aimed at your upper body at night when you sleep helps you as they cannot fly well in air currents. I am also reliably informed that a few bowls of cloves - not crushed ones though - help to deter the dreaded mozzie.

there are also different qualities of mesh too one theat rips easily and the other is far more robust....well it isnt too affected by a climbing cat... whereas the cheaper ones rip easily...

costs also vary depending on frame size

I would suggest buying some citronella essential oil and using that in an oil burner on water. You should also be able to buy citronella candles but make sure you buy new stock.
Personal protection is, IMO. only afforded by military strength DEET, sold under various trade names.
Avoid having plants around, especially in tubs, even on balconies unless they are:  Citronella, Horsemint, Marigolds, Ageratum or Catnip (avoid this one if you have cats though!). See here:

http://eartheasy.com/blog/2011/04/5-eas … ng-plants/

SmallT. wrote:

Thanks a lot for the answer, Likki! but then the second question, Malta has IKEA??? :)

michael78 wrote:

Malta has no Ikea, but there are services that get you Ikea stuff from Italy, maybe some else know a website.

http://www.maltashopper.com/

See below for a list of online shopping sites for Malta. No IKEA but you may be able to get what you want from an alternative outlet and cheaper.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=240667

There is a good camping shop in Mosta that stocks nets, sprays etc ( lots of ex NATO stuff).

Terry

redmik wrote:

See below for a list of online shopping sites for Malta. No IKEA but you may be able to get what you want from an alternative outlet and cheaper.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=240667

One of the most helpful and comprehensive lists around Mick ('nod' goes to toon)

Nice one

Mike

"How do you solve a problem with mosquitoes?"

12 bore - season just started

Eat marmite

SunshineLover2011 wrote:

Eat marmite

"Eat lead" is more gangsta, I guess "eat marmite" is for the vegetarian gangstas

napalm :)

Rocking Ken wrote:

napalm :)

Autumn season only, unlike shotgun

aha "nothing like the smell of napalm first thing in the morning" but coffee and fresh croissants are much safer

Thanks guys)))))))) Now I'm armed!!!! :D

and dangerous.....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

aha "nothing like the smell of napalm first thing in the morning" but coffee and fresh croissants are much safer

pmsl :lol:

i think you will find that many apartments dont have the mosquito screens on windows and doors is because the owners/landlords wont or dont want to buy them - or the frames of the existing doors and windows arent equiped to take the sliding frames - and after all its not their problem - best advise is to ask for them....what you got to loose.

We noticed that we only had three screens so mentioned it and now our landlady is having new ones made for every window and sliding door in the place.
Quite agree, ask for them.

Bite the Little Blighter back. :)

Next Thursday (April 18), Lidl will be selling insect screens, nets, lamps and so on.
Their current leaflet has two full pages dedicated to these products, but it's also on their web site at lidl.com.mt.

Don't buy the traps! I had two of them the whole summer long on my terrac
e. Not ONE mosquito in them. :
-D

crafty lil blighters.....

toonarmy9752 wrote:

crafty lil blighters.....

........but the traps were bought from a local 'discount' German supermarket chain.

Crafty Lidl blighters.

:cool:

MikeInPoulton wrote:

Crafty Lidl blighters.:cool:

:dumbom:

ha i saw what you did there

I always put neat Lavender oil on my wrist and ankle's it seems to keep the mosquitos away ,also to burn the oil in a oil burner ...

cloves left in a bowl is usually good to

Mosquitoes are a pain in the ****, but what are those really tiny critters, they look like little white sandflies, they're horrible! First saw them in Gozo in June, now they've found their way to our apartment. They're so small, almost impossible to kill!

Anybody know what i'm talking about?

nilonilonilo wrote:

Mosquitoes are a pain in the ****, but what are those really tiny critters, they look like little white sandflies, they're horrible! First saw them in Gozo in June, now they've found their way to our apartment. They're so small, almost impossible to kill!
Anybody know what i'm talking about?

Could be gnats or midges.
This is a gnat

http://pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/Flies/gnat.jpg

This is a midge.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/BitingMidge.jpg/800px-BitingMidge.jpg

'Midge' is a generic term for many different types of small flies, some like human blood some do not.

Keep screens fitted and fumigate. As we clean each room we also seal it (close all doors and windows) and spray it and leave it sealed for as long as possible.

I would also get rid of house plants, ensure clothing and footwear are clean and particularly over the next months to come ensure all clothing is kept dry or dried as soon as possible after exposure.

You don't say if you have any pets because they should be kept clean and dry (unless they are fish of course :))

PS. No great nuisance to us here I am glad to say. If they irritate you do NOT go to Scotland for a holiday in midge season.:)

Bumping an old post, sorry for that.. We are absolutely RUINED by mosquitos, our 3 year old son was sent home from daycare today in Gzira since his face is covered by about 20+ bites. They called us today and said "Parents are concerned" and that we have to go to Gzira health center to get a certificate that he is not sick..

We have:

- 2 ultrasound electric mozzie thingys
- 1 blue lamp (the electrocution one..), they use it to party pretty much...
- tons of spray for the kids and us
- electric burner also connected to a socket

And STILL those f***ers keep coming every night, and we are full of them. My son seems to be allergic to the bite as he swells up quite bad, for us it is only uncomfortable..

I would never in my wildest dreams imagine that mosquitos would be our biggest problem moving to Malta 2 months ago..

Any suggestions, apart from the above? :)

Have a look at this and there is a You Tube video showing it. Just Google for 'Mosquito Trap'

Mosquito Trap

For outdoors I use these from time to time. The equivalents are easily available here.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FaNbCrF-L._SY300_.jpg

Sometimes use this but don't need to very much. And read warnings etc. You need Jungle strength.

Jungle DEET

And don't forget antihistamine tablets and a hot spoon on a bite or ice.
Good luck.

Unfortunately it seems that you have chosen a bad area in which to live. We are lucky, have all the above at our disposal but rarely use them. I have never found the ultrasound to work at any time and that includes when I lived in Belize and the Maldives.

It may settle down too. My children used to come up like that in the early days but then they've seemed to have 'grown' out of it. They still get bitten but they stay small and rarely bother them.

I've heard Marmite works if he likes that?? Something about the Thiamine released from the pores puts them off???

It's also not all year round either. They would have normally settled by now but we are having unusually hot weather at the moment. May is bad for them too.

Hi. We are the same we have just moved and the apartment has no mosquito nets and my son Mainly is being bitten all over. We also had to go the doctors to get a note to show they are bites and he has allergic reactions too. I have got the jungle deet and am trying that from tonight. I have bought netting for our windows on eBay but can't get anything to fit our back door! So going to get something made. There a bloody nightmare!!!