New id cards

Hya,
does anybody know how to go about renewing our old I.D. and residence cards. We have phoned the No. given in the Times and that is non existant and emails are being ignored so wondered if anyone else is having any luck with these new cards thanks  Dottie

Hi dottie,

there is an extra thread on the issue!

You need to apply for an appointment by e-mail:

[email protected]

At the moment dates are being given out for March or maybe even April. It can take two days to hear back. Don't attempt to go there without a conformed appointment - it is a waste of time!

The old ID cards are supposed to expire at the end of March.

Follow the info on the ID thread !

Cheers
Ricky

Hello dottie.

Here is the ID thread : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=157267;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your info we'll give that a go I love it here but they do make everything such hard work don't they haha
                          Dottie

Hya Thankyou so much will give this a go
                 Dottie

Hi Dottie.
They never answer the phones... so send an email for an  appointment. I sent one last week asking for an appointment for 3 of us last tuesday and got an email today nearly a week later and the appointments for 9th April. The id card will no longer be issued once you have the new bio residence permits... but you have to fill in the forms and take all the necessary paperwork e.g. passport, proof of income ( if you don't work) marriage cert and you have to photocopy everything before you go and take all originals as well as copies. The forms can be collected from near upper barakka gardens, but you can't make an appointment while you're there collecting the forms.. seems stupid to me. I wouldn't worry though as i've lived here 9 years this august and never had a residency permit. Make sure you ask for the right forms though as they're different if you work, as i have a 20 year old daughter that does. Hope this explains it a bit better for you. Denize.

Hi denize ,

thanks for the info that the appointment dates are now up to April !

But you have still been living in Malta for 9 years without a residence permit ! Hmmmm.........

Maybe no one has to worry but maybe they do ! Maybe you are lucky and it is Malta and not the UK or any other EU country . Any other EU country would issue fines for not registering ! Even in Malta the Legal Notice states a fine !

Cheers
Ricky

From an official body I got an inofficial answer that I do not have to worry about it. When my current ID card gets invalid (end of this year) I should apply for the new one ...

But I think Non-EU-nationals should not take it so lightly.

really?

cant wait til 2018 then whooppeeeeee

toonarmy9752 wrote:

why not ? That will be approx. the date when the whole procedure will be finished :D

The authorities now say the current ID cards will be invalid end of March.
Before they also said that the ID cards will be invalid as soon as they expire ... and lots of people still using their ID card (ending with "A") even though they've expired years ago.

An acquaintance recently also applied for the "new ID card" and got an appointment at the Ministry something end of April ... means the next 3 months he is without any ID card.
But even for the employee form and registering at IRD his passport was sufficient ...

much depends on the attitude of the two entities that mainly use the  id card /residency as a means of proving you are resident for lower tariffs...Arriva and Arms Limited.... the governemnt may enforce these two entities to enforce the checking of all cards / permits and make the existing card (no matter what the expiry date)to be invalid and force anyone who hasnt got a valid one to pay the higher tariffs...just a possiblilty ...but then nothing surprises me here..

matm911 wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

why not ? That will be approx. the date when the whole procedure will be finished :D

OMG that is so true lol

btw, yesterday evening the police came to our house and handed over our voting cards for participation in the "local" election.
Now I only have to find out for whom or what I can give my "local" vote ... :|

we got ours last week

Hi Ricky.
Yep we've been here 9 years this year and when we first arrived we lived in Gozo for 7 years. We went to the id office with all paperwork applied for the id's and asked him where we went for residency permits he told us as we're now eu we didn't need them.... and never had them. I've spoken to someone here in Malta and she said no problem.. so will see when we go for the residence permits here ;-)
My husband and daughter are both registered at the tax office as she works here but my husband doesn't.