Sending items to Laos

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions about shipping items to Laos and I really hope you can help me. I have a friend who lives in Phonsavan, Xieng Khouang, Laos and I would like to send her a few items.

So here are my questions:

1. Can I ship a digital camera to Laos from the USA?

2. What about candy and snacks? My friend really wants to try American foods.

3. What kind of forms would I need to fill out?

4. What types of customs payments would my friend need to make?

5. Finally, does anyone know the postal code of the post office in Xieng Khouang?

Your help is appreciated.

J

Hellobjjguy.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you'll helped by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Yes you can send these items by post to your friend.
Best to send by Express post or DHL,and declare the articles and their value on the forms.   

I use the tracking system so I can find out where the parcel is.

No Lao forms to fill out.

There may be a fee to be paid by your friend at to Post Office. This may vary depending on the value of the articles you are sending. Personally never had this happen as my wife is Lao.

No post code for Xieng Khoung. 

And remember to insure the parcel before you send it. It will take time to get there too. I send things from time to time to my family in Vientiane from Australia and it takes around 10 days to get there.

Pack everything in bubble wrap. 

All mail for Laos goes directly to Vientiane and then sent out from there to wherever.

Sir, How can I do that ? Would you kindly please reply to me some steps of how to send an item to vientiane  I'm trying to ship an envelope of photos  from USA to Vientiane Laos. I don't know what to do I'm worried that it will get lost. All I wanted was to ship it directly to the recipient 's house. Do you know if it possible to do so ? Please reply, thank you

Best have your friends get a Post Office box to which you can send articles. No mail deliveries to houses in Laos.

Does anyone know where this post office in Laos is located? Xiengkhoung Delivery Office,Tel; 061211310. My receiver tried calling this number and even went to the post office located In xiengkhoun but the mail clerks told them the package I sent them from the US isn't there. But we've gotten a confirmation from the Laos Foreign  Administration that our package is at the Delivery Office in Xiengkhoun, please help

Have you asked the Laos Foreign Administration for a contact number? Xiengkhoung is a province.
The post office is in Phonsavanh, the capital of the province,  phone number 061 312 005

You could also contact the post office in Vientiane 020 54 912 991

Try a Google search too for information. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you,,
I've opened up an international investigation with the USPS because I wasn't able to track my package however below is the response Laos sent back. My recipient called the number below numerous times but there were no answer. I told the USPS to send me the exact location of Xiengkhoun Delivery Office and to have the Laos delivery office contact my recipient because When they went to the local Xiengkhoun Post Office the clerks told them they had no packages. I'm just trying to figure out where this place is so that I can have my recipients go there to pickup the package.

Thank you for taking my call.  Please see the following response that we received from Laos Foreign Administration regarding the disposition of your package:

Dear colls, the item is helding at Xiengkhoung Delivery Office,Tel; 061211310. the addressee has POX  and address is not complete. Please advise addressee come to pick it up at Delivery office. Best regards,Monh

Bu chance do you know if the post office in Laos speaks English? I don't speak Laos.

Some speak limited English.
Did the phone call to the given number actually connect?  It may be that they are closed because of Covid19.
Have you tried the numbers I gave you for information?

The phone number given by USPS when my receiver In Laos called, rings and rings no answer. I haven't tried calling the numbers you gave me. I've never called Laos from America before, can you please kindly guide me? Apparently I'll call today and since in Laos it's already Early Monday morning. Based on this message response from Laos the package is in Xiengkhoun, what I'm
Afraid of is that what if the postal clerks stole the package? It's a possibility right!  The package is necessity for a very indigent countryside family. At this point I wished I was able to locate the delivery office and have my recipients go there. However, bless your heart and Thank you so very much!

Try the numbers I have given you previously. The county code for Laos is 856. Your international access code is 011

Dial 011 856 61 312 005 for Xiengkhoung
        011 856  20 54 912 991 for Vientiane post office.

Time difference, Laos is 12 hours ahead of Oklahoma. So 2.30 am Laos is 2.30 pm Oklahoma.