Visiting Cuenca with intent to stay.

My wife and  I plan to visit Cuenca within a few months and if we like it we will simply start the process to make it permanent. If on the other hand if we don't feel comfortable we will simply go back to the US.  With that in mind what documents would I need to carry with me in case we do want to stay. What I'm really trying to do is avoid paying the air fare for two trips.  Is such a plan even feasible?

Thanks for any advice,
Ray

Ray....
Did you guy's take " The last train from Clarksville"?
Sorry man, I had to ask!
To address your question. Sure, anything is possible. Get ahold of the consulate for up to the minute info on paperwork required. AT this writting ,( things change ) you'll want to bring your:

Birth Certificate
Marrige License
Pass Port ( course, you'll have it if you're in Ecuador )
Police Back Ground Check  ( do this as a last minute detail, as it's only good for 90 days )
Drivers License ( you can drive for 30 days on a current US drivers license, although I don't think you'll want to!)

Marrige License, Birth Certificate and Police check have to be Apostilled here in the states. They also have to be translated into Spanish, and most suggest you have that done in Ecuador. There are lawyers there that can assist you with all these issues, but... you have to take care of many of these things stateside, before your trip. Many claim once you are in country, with all the proper paperwork, you can handle this on your own. I've done business with a law firm there I trust, so I'm going with them. It can get kinda tricky, and I've heard of some horror stories. There are also  locals known as " facilitators " that will help walk you through the process, cheaper than a lawyer.
I'm  sure I left something out, and others will chime in. Your best bet is to contact your nearest Consulate.
Best of luck to you...
Stay Well,

Neil

Thanks Neil,

That's the most concise and to the point advice I've heard yet on the subject.

The last train left already and then they closed the depot ! So  I'm still stuck in Clarksville lol.

PS.
Oops, forgot to include: If you plan on a retirement Visa, you will need proof of income. At present $ 800.00 per single. In your case with spouse and child, $900.00.
Cha Cha
Neil

I'm retired from the US army with a decent  pension plus I'll soon be eligible for SS so I'm thinking I can be fairly comfortable in Ecuador .

Just my wife and I. Kids are all grown and gone.

Hello, Ray.
Niel is correct at the moment. I will very strongly advise you to come with your wife for at least a two week trip and see/feel it for yourselves.
Regulations here change from morning to afternoon so advising anyone on up to date rules as Neal impossible.you are welcome to contact us when you are getting here.  We also advise you to get your permanent retirement visit as stateside as it has become more and more difficult to achieve that once here. If you intend on shipping your household goods duty free, you WILL need a permanent residency visa now.
Manonne

yes its possable. i can handel the paperwork and get you extentions on your visa tell all the paperwork is done.
1: you will need to go 1 week before you come to your state capitpol and get a police backround check from the state police(only good for 90 days but i can get around that time line too if needed)
2: birth certificates ,original long form
3: marriage certificate/ proof of divorce if previously married
4:proof of income.

im not a lawer i just know the people that handel this here and can help with just about anything you need. my wife use to be a car sales person and knows just about everyone in the busness so when you need a car she can handel all the paper work. anything you need just call or e-mail

skipe anthonydserrano
e-mail [email protected]

Hello sparticous,

Maybe you could tell a little about you?

Melissa