B.S System

As some of you might know, I recently posted my experiences in the on going Visa saga.
To quickly sum it up, I was told by my attorney in Cuenca that :

They would NOT accept my State background check in Cuenca, but they would accept it in Quito.

That the Marriage Certificate and the Birth Certificate were no longer required.

Okay, a couple from Texas went to the office in Cuenca yesterday, 6/6/13, and they did in fact accept the State background check, BUT, did not accept the Marriage Certificate that was over 90 days old, the same document I was told was no longer required?

In summation, I would suggest to anyone that is considering going through the visa process to bring every document under the sun, and to have the FBI background check done, AND a State back ground check also. It's damn cheap insurance to come overly prepared. Actually.... there is no such thing as being overly prepared in S. America.

These are the " Facts " as know them on 6/7/13.
" Your Mileage May Vary"

Good Luck... I'm off to Quito on Tuesday, wish me luck.

Confused in Cuenca
Neil

Did you make it to Bananas and did you try the hash browns?

Hi Neil,

Welcome to the harsh realities of South America! I hear what you're saying and feel very sorry for what you're going through. It's the same everywhere in Latin America unfortunately. Here in Brazil it's even worse still. The Federal Police here are so screwed up that not even one in ten of them has the first clue as to what they're doing.

Just goes to show you how truly spoiled we North Americans (and Europeans too) really are, having lived in countries where everything (even government) actually works the way it's supposed to work.

Don't give up hope!

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi William,
Thanks for the support and the understanding ear. I had tried to steel myself for this change in reality. Were I in the states, I would be really up set. Now.... I'm just taking it with a grain of salt. It is what it is, and I have absolutely no control over it. I think that is the key to this new life.... accepting things that were unacceptable in our old lives

To The Journey!
Stay Well,
Neil

FYI-your background check and marriage license will be accepted in Cuenca (as long as they're not too old and are apostilled). That's why they opened an office here, for God's sake. And your birth certificates aren't needed for your visas but are required for your cedulas, which comes next. Hope this info is helpful.

Thank you Edd,
I meet with my attorney's at noon today, and I am going to present this to them. I have already booked a flight to Quito for Tuesday, but LAN is very forgiving on cancellations, so if I can arrange to have it done in Cuenca, I'll just cancel.
This whole misinformation thing can get pretty frustrating, but I guess I'll just go with the flow.
Stay Well,
Neil
Ps. all my docs are less than 90 days old.

And the good news is that you knew ahead of time that the only thing for certain was uncertainty.  By knowing this and having lowered your expectations you hopefully will come out of this with a big smile.  Hope you get to avoid Quito right now, good luck.

Indeed I did, on both counts. Odd they still have the old restaurants name on the building though?
Spot on directions, Thanks
Neil

Thank You Sir,
I hope it all shakes out.
Stay Well,
Neil

I learned a long time ago that in Latin America if you don't like the answer you get just go back tomorrow and ask someone else :)   Everyone has their own interpretations of the rules.   I know in Colombia if you brought a "gift" for the ladies kids that did the visas you had no issues :)

I got lucky in that the lady I worked with in Guayaquil was quite nice and helpful.   Was able to get my visa relatively easy.

From your reports, it is sounding to me like Quito is the place to go for residency visas. Cuenca is under-informed or more whimisical? So Zen where are you doing your visa application? I thought you were in Quito a couple of days ago.

---and I do have my fingers crossed for your success.

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi Neil,
Just goes to show you how truly spoiled we North Americans (and Europeans too) really are, having lived in countries where everything (even government) actually works the way it's supposed to work.

WJ,

At least in South America they don't have any $2 billion taxpayer funded centers hidden underground in the desert capturing and analyzing every email, telephone call, text message, Facebook post, and search-engine data.

I'd rather put up with a little incompetence than a government that spies on me. :)

gardener1 wrote:

From your reports, it is sounding to me like Quito is the place to go for residency visas. Cuenca is under-informed or more whimisical?

This is merely speculation, but I think it's at least a logical hypothesis. At some point, the Cuencan examiners changed their policies to make it more difficult for Westerners to get residency visas. It seems capricious, and perhaps it is. But my theory would be that at some point a Gringo went into the office and didn't show the "proper respect." So they're now pissed off at all Gringos.

Just a hunch.

No, I flew into GYE., but only spent the night. Then took a van the following morning to Cuenca.
After talking to my attorneys this afternoon, I decided just for the total ease of it, I'll have it done in Quito. I already  have my flight. From what they tell me, we walk into the office, my facilitator will turn in my paperwork, and that's pretty much it. I don't even transport the paperwork. They already airmailed it today, so all I have to do is bring my passport.
I think the biggest thing is theses attorney's have been doing biz so long with the folks in Quito, that it's pretty much a done deal when the client shows up.
Famous last words, huh?
Thanks for the good wishes.
Stay Well,
Neil

I have no idea what is so great in living in Quito. I been in Peru for five years there is nothing here. I guess is up to perople.

lulie wrote:

I have no idea what is so great in living in Quito. I been in Peru for five years there is nothing here. I guess is up to perople.

Dear, we're talking Quito Ecuador, not Quito Peru. Me thinks you're a tad confused. This is an Ecuadorian blog.

Be Well,
Neil

Both are not well my curiosity is that I do not see any future. Both countries are not the best place to be. That is what I mean. What is so good a bout Ecuador?
I am not confused I just wonder what do you see there. I thought the same when I lived there, Argentina, Ecuador etc. Only if you have 100 thousands dollars or something like that.
Profa. Lee Redfield

I apologize Profa, I thought you were referring to Peru when I read your post.
What I love about Ecuador is the beauty of the country, and of the people.
Not to sound disagreeable with you, but one can live here very comfortably on a modest income. Some of us that migrate here are very comfortable financially, others not so much.
I bid you good day, Sir.

Good I will not worry please visit englishserviceslima.blogspot.com
I am a teacher missionary i Lima Pru.
Best wishes
Profa. Lee Redfield

lulie wrote:

Good I will not worry please visit englishserviceslima.blogspot.com
I am a teacher missionary i Lima Pru.
Best wishes
Profa. Lee Redfield

I applaud your missionary works, and wish you every success.
I certainly will visit the site.
Regards,
Neil

I found the forum!  Thanks for that information, Neil.  That was high up on my list of questions.  Hope you get everything straightened out!

Well,
I had my appointment yesterday, and it could NOT have gone any SMOOTHER!
In and out of the office. My rep brought my paperwork up to the agent, I stayed seated. She did some yammering back in forth with the agent, my gal came and asked me for 30 bucks, she ran to another window, paid, came back for my passport, they took a picture of me( Ugh ) had me sign 2 forms: Accepted!!! The agent stamped everything and I was on my way after a total of about 40 minutes, and of course, most of that was waiting for our number to come up.
All in all, pretty painless.
Good Luck in your journey!
Neil

Congrats Neil, you had 'em all the way.  Time to celebrate tonight!!  Perhaps you could allow yourself the luxury of consuming a guinea pig.  Let us know how it goes down.

Thank Mugs,
Actually, I had my doubts along the way, but, it came out cool.
And yeah, that's what I'll do, consume a rodent for dinner. Just not sure if I'll swallow it head and hooves first, or tail and hooves? Quite the delima! Either way, I'm sure it will be yummy!!
Stay Well,
Neil

Congratulations Neil. I hope it goes as smoothly for me in September. If you are in Cuenca when you do the rodent deed, wife and I enjoyed ours at Guajibamba. On Luis Cordero 12-32 y Sangurima (about 3 blocks North of Gran Colombia on the East side of Luis Cordero).

Here's a photo (I can't post a "real" link yet, so you'll have to cut-n-paste and replace the [dot] with .)

picasaweb[dot]google[dot]com/lh/photo/xByFXyD4ec5Q3pfvEG-Z8qQxgxd_OuoPH9c8wHi8GaE?feat=directlink

Good going Neil, glad you got it all sorted.
Hans

rsymington wrote:

Congratulations Neil. I hope it goes as smoothly for me in September. If you are in Cuenca when you do the rodent deed, wife and I enjoyed ours at Guajibamba. On Luis Cordero 12-32 y Sangurima (about 3 blocks North of Gran Colombia on the East side of Luis Cordero).

Here's a photo (I can't post a "real" link yet, so you'll have to cut-n-paste and replace the [dot] with .)

picasaweb[dot]google[dot]com/lh/photo/xByFXyD4ec5Q3pfvEG-Z8qQxgxd_OuoPH9c8wHi8GaE?feat=directlink

Dude....
That's not fair. You had the creature sectioned up, and smothered in BBQ sauce. You have to be looking at their knarly teeth, shrunken head, see the little feet, all that disgusting stuff to say you ate Coy. What you had, well, it actually LOOK's edible. < smile >
Stay Well,
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:
rsymington wrote:

Dude....
That's not fair. You had the creature sectioned up, and smothered in BBQ sauce. You have to be looking at their knarly teeth, shrunken head, see the little feet, all that disgusting stuff to say you ate Coy. What you had, well, it actually LOOK's edible. < smile >
Stay Well,
Neil

No BBQ on the little guy, just how the crispy skin came out. Here's another shot, perhaps a bit more to your liking :-)

picasaweb[dot]google[dot]com/lh/photo/TVnx8E5PgrOkn1xI3wNth6Qxgxd_OuoPH9c8wHi8GaE?feat=directlink

symo

Neil, you are now qualified to start that business I know you've always wanted, namely, being an in-country facilitator for expats!  LOL

Well,
I'd be qualified to take your money, Bro, but not much else.
It's beyond my scope. Just glad I weathered it.
Take Care,
Neil

Hi Neil,

Congrats on getting your visa.  I had enormous trouble trying to get a work visa in Nuevo Vallarta in Mexico.  I has a "facilitator" who didn't help and then gave up and just worked underground until we moved on.   A real lawyer would have worked I think.  More Spanish on my part would have helped too.  One gringo that I worked with paid a lawyer $400 in 2005.  He thought it was a good investment as he stayed for several years (and then married a lovely Mexican woman).

Did you have a lawyer?  Is that the same thing as a "facilitator" (mentioned once)?  How did you find her/him and how much did it cost? 

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,
I did in fact have an attorney. And, when I started second guessing, " did I really need an attorney ", I'm glad I stuck with the attorney route.
A facilitator is some one that aids you. Someone whom is supposed to know the ropes, and speaks the language fluently.
My attorneys had me work with an employee of theirs in Quito, as they are based out of Cuenca. That person would be considered a facilitator.
In the end, it can be accomplished with out an attorney, I'm just not the type to want to deal with all of it.
You can find recommendations for reputable lawyers on Gringo Tree under recommendations. I found mine last year. The handled a real estate deal for me, and I was impressed with the way they handled that transaction. And yes, they are recommended on Gringo Tree.
Good Luck
Neil

Ps.
If a document does not have a State Seal, it will have to have a notary stamp before it can be apostille. I had to have my poof of income from the SS Admin and  my State Police Report notarized.

Thanks Neil.  Nothing better than getting it done the first time.  Was it expensive?
Joe

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Ps.
I had to have my poof of income

Ah yes, the income going poof in the USA is why many move to Ecuador.  Congrats Neil on not having your income go poof so quickly.

Well,
I guess like all things financial, it's what your comfortable with. My cost, from start to finish, was $ 1,300.00. I'm sure to some, that is a lot, to others, not much. For me, it was well worth it.
Stay Well,
Neil

mugtech wrote:
ZenSPIKE wrote:

Ps.
I had to have my poof of income

Ah yes, the income going poof in the USA is why many move to Ecuador.  Congrats Neil on not having your income go poof so quickly.

I think I was thinking of "Poof The Magic Dragon " er... was it 'Puff The Magic Dragon'?
It's a bitch gettin' old!