ARMS Ltd faces class action suit

but that doesnt mean you you cant get discounts you currently still have to prove certain things and fulful arms and government imposed condtions to do so.

an A card holder with a residency certficate can get the discounts - an A card holder with a paylsip and proof of tax ans ssc payments without residency certificate can get discounts

toonarmy9752 wrote:

an A card holder with a residency certficate can get the discounts - an A card holder with a paylsip and proof of tax ans ssc payments without residency certificate can get discounts

at the discretion of ARMS, yes, and they don't seem to be consistent in their use of discretion. However, having a residency certificate (which is a legal obligation for non-Maltese EU citizens living in Malta) means no discretion required

ARMS should stop faffing around, and just tell foreigners that they need to get a residency certificate.

The government should make it clear to foreigners what they are legally obliged to do if they wish to be resident. The problem is there are several things you need to get, and they are all from different departments who don't seem to communicate - all it needs is a simple leaflet, and so when , for example you apply for an ID card, you get given this leaflet itemising the other things. It would also, hopefully, stop staff at these different departments, sometimes giving wrong information through ignorance.

there are more and more people sticking to their guns GnG and getting the discounts....... we know currently it is a requirement but it seems that ARMs are getting in a muddle and dont really know what to say or what to do or are bowing to pressure. for me its "they dont really know" this is evident by the repetative nature of their responses to this sort of question.

the need for a residency cert is without doubt highly questionable - i know its a stated requirement...but is there really a need for it or is it just an unnecessary obstacle in a land without borders within the EU

"there are more and more people sticking to their guns GnG and getting the discounts..." what I dont understand is why people dont just get the residency certificate (as they are legally obliged to do so)

toonarmy9752 wrote:

the need for a residency cert is without doubt highly questionable - i know its a stated requirement...but is there really a need for it or is it just an unnecessary obstacle in a land without borders within the EU

its not just a stated requirement, but one backed up by EU law, and issued by many EU countries - its purpose is to try and make sure you wont become a burden on the state

questionable at best!

If/until the EU law is changed, its up to Malta whether it issues residency certificates.

We can debate whether the issuing of residency certificates serves any purpose or not until the cows come home, but it will make no difference to the current legal obligation to get one in Malta.

still makes it challengeable

you have 2 options
1. persuade Malta it isn't required
2. persuade the EU it isn't required

i dont need options am "papered" - but that doesnt make it right

legality and morality don't always coincide

theres plenty of history to prove that as we know - thats why we have democracy - of sorts - maybe not here - just because some thinks its right doesnt mean it is and certainly doesnt mean it cant be challenged. and changed if required to something more acceptable

The logical conclusion is for all EU citizens to be issued with an EU passport and EU ID/residency card, maybe all combined into one.

look we all know the EU experiment is a "c**K up and we all know its meant to be the ideal one nation, one set of rules, one currency and all that but its a farce and this is just one of many contentious issues that everyone knows wont go away without same major rethinking and redevelopment....we have to hope when that happens and am sure it will - that the right cross match of thinking and development occurs - of course it wont satisfy everyone. cest la vie - au revoir

agree 100%

Yes,  I have residency certificate.

the point the ID office was making was that unless born Maltese (citizen) I would have an A card, therefore, ARMS are talking trash and spreading misinformation.

lucyanya wrote:

therefore, ARMS are talking trash and spreading misinformation.

yep -

so ARMS won't accept your residency certificate as proof of your residency ?

that being the case then you should be able to get the lower residential rates...unless of course your landlord is refusing to either

a) put the bill in your name (466euros)
or
b) put you on the bills as named consumers (free)

i cannot see any reason for you not to get the lower rates

100% agree toonarmy

could it be "lost in translation" somehow

lucyanya wrote:

I was recently told that any card ending in A cannot be afforded the discount.

This is not the case, I have an ID card Ending in A and I have a residency certificate and now I am getting the Discount.

Although for the past 7 years of OWNING a property in Malta I have not had the Discount.

Julian

I think what it means is that an ID card ending in A isn't sufficient on its own to get the discount, whereas one ending in M or G is sufficient on its own as the ID cards issued to Maltese citizens have a different legal status

why was that scoobs?

Currently in progress.  Will update.  However, doesnŽt help me with regard back payment of overpaid bills.  Bet I wonŽt see any of that back....

Lucyana do you have evidence of when you first contacted ARMs about the discounts....and have you got correpsondecne from them to that effect.

Contrary to popular belief and ARMs public policy I have personally known some people get the discounts back dated to the first date they could prove that it was ARMs fault....

its always worth a try... make a nuisance of your self this sometimes works.

hehe  thanks mate.  One thing I am good at is making a nuisance of myself...grin.  Will certainly give it a try, you donŽt get unless you ask and if they say no, IŽm no worse off for trying.

x

let us all know how yoo get on then ok...