New Member - Rio Das Ostras/Macae RJ

Hi I'm a new member trying to expand my network and make new friends.

Hi virtualist2000,

On behalf of the Expat-blog Team welcome to the blog and to Brazil. I hope that your experience with both will be both enjoyable and informative.

I would like to thank you for your PM, which I have already responded to by the way, and I am looking forward to meeting you sometime soon.

I'm originally from Canada and have been living in Brazil for almost eleven years now in several different cities. My wife is from Macaé and we recently moved here from São Paulo so she and our five year old son could be close to the family again. So, I find myself in the same boat you are in right now, the only people I know here are family members. Hopefully that will soon change too because I'm starting to recruit new students here now.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Thanks for the heads up

Hello MirandaSD2,

If you will be paying taxes in Brazil based on the income you quote in your posting the tax rate you will pay is the current maximum established by law, which is 27%.

If you are actually being paid here in Brazil by a Brazilian company. Many foreign nationals working for multi-national companies here actually receive their salaries in their country of origin and therefore continue paying income tax at home and not here in Brazil. Some countries also require their citizens to report their total 'world income' regardless of where they actually pay taxes.

The basic rule of thumb is - if your income is derived from a Brazilian source you pay taxes in Brazil, if it is derived from a foreign source you pay taxes in the country where it originates (generally speaking your home country).

Most countries have international tax agreements (to avoid double taxation) you can probably find out more information by contacting the government body responsible for taxation in your country.

With regard to living in or around Macaé this would depend on where you will be working, whether or not you will be driving while you are here (very bureaucratic to obtain permission), whether your company provides a car and driver or other form of transportation. Many of the major petroleum companies in Macaé, for example, have charter buses that pick up their employees in various locations.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

virtualist2000 wrote:

Hi I'm a new member trying to expand my network and make new friends.

What do you know? Someone else who knows about Rio das Ostras!   Lived there for 3 months in 2010. I was originally supposed to move there permanently at the end of this month but my plans have changed. Unfortunately I need to wait about another year. If I arrive sooner, I'll let you know. Rio das Ostras is my favorite place to be in Brazil.

-Derek

Hi Derek,

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome aboard. Hope you will find your experience here on the blog both enjoyable and informative.

I'm just a bit north of RdO, in Macaé.... I'm a Canadian who has been living her in Brazil for eleven years now. Bit of a gypsy lived in 5 different states now. We'll all be looking forward to your arrival.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team