Manta and the coast - real estate

Manta and the coast are often overlooked in the Expat.com.
More and more tourists, and especially retired expats, arrive by the day.  And the coastal region offers a different life style compared to the Sierras.
Manta itself is a boom town, with large projects attracting executives, engineers, tourists, and retired persons.  A good place to invest in the short-term.
The coastline both north and south offer some great opportunities for laid.back life with beautiful beaches,
Check out Salinas and Bahia de Cadaquez as towns offering more amenities, and Montañita, Santa Marianita, Crucita, San Vicente, Canoa, and Jama as more laid-back, get-away-from-it-all destinations.
Pleased to help with ant more precise advice
mike
[email protected]
098 46 48 305

If you like poverty, trash, and raw sewage then ecuador's coast is for you. Don't believe me, see for yourself.  If you want  pristine beaches take a look at Peru.  The prices are higher but worth every penny.

t

Hi there, Karen here.  I'm coming to Cotacachi in the New Year but plan on taking a look at the coast.  I live on the Gold Coast in Australia so am a bit spoilt for the beaches here.  However, do you think Manta is worth taking a look at and also, would I take a bus or fly there?  Thanks, Karen

hi Karen,

Well as you realize, it will be difficult to duplicate the Gold Coast you are used to.
There are some very fine beaches on the coast here.......see my notes above for the names of the towns.
It really depends here on whether you are looking for unspoilt beaches with little or no development at the moment, or more village-type rustic atmosphere (Canoa, Montañita for example), or places with a little more infra-structure (Salinas, Bahia de Cadaquez), or a city like Manta with its approx 260,000 population and better and more efficient communications with the rest of the country.
As always the only real recommendation one can make, is "come and see for yourselves"........
there is very regular bus service up and down the coast, or it's probably worth renting a car for a day or two, to visit the different spots at your ease.
If you come to Manta, let us know, and would be pleased to chat over a coffee or beer.....  my e-mail is [email protected]
Will send you my tel no by e-mail if you wish.
regards, and good luck with everything!

Thanks so much for that.  I'd love to come and meet you when I get there.  I guess you live in Manta.  In my travels around the world, it's so much more fun to meet with people who live there, as they can really tell you so much more than the tourist magazines (even though I love to read those as well!).  I am planning on arriving in Cotacachi around late Jan.-early Feb.  How would I get from there to the coast the easiest?

Let's keep in touch.  Cheers, Karen

hi Karen,

Yes, we live in Manta.  Have been here over a year, and enjoying it very much.
Country is super, people very friendly, and quite laid back, and happy with their lot!
From Cotochaci to the coast, the easiest is to go via Quito.  Bus to Quito, bus or plane from Quito to Manta.
use my e-mail address from previous message, and I'll send you my phone no. here
Regards, Mike