What is the best proceedure for my wife's visa

The US consulate in Shanghai will say its easy. just apply. My wife did apply for a tourist visa and I never was so ashamed of the idiots behind the window. The web site of the US Consulate says foreign citizens will be treated with respect. Total lie. "That if your visa is denied, you will be told why" Total lie.

I am retired doctor in Shanghai. Moved here 5 years ago and married a wonderful lady here 1 and half years ago. She has her own business here in Shanghai for 12 years. She has her masters in Art and previously taught biochemistry.

I am here on a Spousal visa....I sat right next to the window when the consular agent said "Denied" to my wife. I went right to the window and ask why? No answer..." she can re apply" was his answer.

WE talked about 5 mins. he just kept on with this stupid grin.How could they be sure she was just going for a visit? I told him she has visited before. " you have all the info in front of you..."

Evidently they weren't smart enough to review that, she gave him all the usual stuff, bank accounts, parents living her, son, living here, her life's work in her company, here in Shanghai...

I really felt something was up when he asked her 2 questions and he pushed everything back under the window, says DENIED VISA, next...

That is when I stepped up to the window.
On my own I have read that my wife has to prove here ties are stronger to China than to the US. But our friendly civil servant
doesn't have the capacity to suss that out.

And I have no residence in the US, no property. My SS check comes here each month...

Does anyone in the sphere know what State Senator I can lodge a complaint about the great job the CC is doing in Shanghai. I tell you the list is long ( complaints ) as to how disrespectful our civil servants are to the locals.

I would love to take my wife to San Francisco for 3 days at Christmas. Thanks for any advice.

Stephenmichael

thanks to anyone who can tell me how to redress the CC in Shanghai.
Seems here the Peter Principle is really at work.

Best regards

Stephenmichael

Hi Stephenmichael and welcome to Expat.com!

Sorry to hear about this situation.
I hope the forum members will be able to help you out.

Good luck
Armand

The clerk thinks she will go to the US and never leave.  Try to get a different clerk next time.

You could write to the Congressman of wherever you used to live, but I think it would be better to write to a supervisor at the consulate.