5 good reasons for living in Guatemala

Hi,

if someone asks you the best reasons for making the choice to live and stay in Guatemala, what would be your top 5?

Thanks in advance for participating,

Julien

1 the people so chilled and relaxed just no Ego over here
2 really safe don't believe the hype never had any trouble been here 4 years
3 great climate
4 cost of lliving is very cheap and propert prices ridiculously cheap
5 amazing natural beauty

Those all sound like awesome reasons to relocate to Antigua :)

Add:

Fabulous Exchange rate
No GMO Foods
No Chem trail spraying
No IRS like in the USSA

Lived here for 23 years and keep adding
-weather
-low cost of living
-people, living mayan culture
-amazing country with wide diversity of climate, landscape on a small scale
-close to the US

Armand, those are wonderful reasons :)  Sounds like living free and peaceful to me!! I think that's what we all want -- I know I do.

All those sound really good for me as well.
Do you know anything about importing motorcycles?? Or know anyone who has??

Regards, Alan

Several more reasons:
*Meeting interesting people from around the world
*Being able to practice my Spanish and French on a daily basis
*Greeting dozens of people and dogs, many by name, on my 15-minute walk into town
*Traveling by tuk tuk, pickup, and lancha
*Being blessed by the everchanging beauty of Lake Atitlán
*Delighting in the songs of grackels

Those sound like great reasons to me to add to the growing list :)

DQ

1. Beautiful people
2. More fruits and veggies than one can eat
3. A volcanic landscape like no other.
4. Traditions, customs and culture unparalelled
5. Each morning I grab the Prensa Libre, a cup of coffee, sit on my porch and read the news while Agua, Fuego and Acotenango volcanoes stand guard over me. If that view is not PRICELESS nothing is.

I love that we are adding more and more reasons to be in Antigua and surrounding areas! This just gives me more confidence (as if I needed it :) ) about my decision.

Guategringo, you have some of the best reasons listed -- such a change from angry, desperate and scared people in the USSA.....

You are right -- it's priceless!

DQ

I could go on and on but would rather not bore you. You need to see and experience it all for yourself. You want beauty look up Semuc Champey or Monterrico or Lake Atitlan or even Las Georginas in Xela... My family and I use one weekend a month to travel somewhere new or somewhere we have been but to a new place in that region. My kids get to learn about their country and we get to see some of the most beautiful places on earth.

Oh, it's not boring me :)

I will be there soon to explore for myself!

Thanks.

DQ

Hi Julien,
I've been here for nearly 6 months and have made arrangements to come back in 6... I love it here.. My 5 reasons for Guatemala:

1. I speak Spanish
2. It's inexpensive
3. The climate can't be beat
4 The people
5 The beautiful landscape...

I am a full time oil painter and this place is paradise...(not perfect) just paradise... As a painter it has all that I need (except easy acquisition of art supplies)...

Hop4Scoth

Hello Hop4Scotch:

Well, those are very very good reasons to be in Guatemala. Are you going to relocate to live permanently to Guatemala, or just for another extended visit?

What or whom do you paint? People? Pets? Portraits? Landscapes?

Thanks!

DQ

Hi DQ,

I am going back to NY to continue painting there (on LI's north fork) and then when the weather cools to come back here. But as soon as I figure out how I'm thinking of making Guatemala home...It all came about naturally... I would like options outside of the US... and as for being an artist- this place is amazing....

I am working on portraiture, landscape and still life.... In the still life department I'm all over the fresh flower thing... God I love it... for less that 50 cents I can get what I can't get up there for 10 bucks...

What are you into... been here long?

Hop4Scotch

[Moderated: No advertising please!]

GuateGringo,

Thanks... Yes, I've been in a store that has a pretty nice selection of equipment... but the deal is the paint/brushes... and the quality... for better quality it is so expensive. This is in context to the typical artist dilemma... I'm not a sunday painter... I go through a fair amount of supplies... BUT I have to admit... at least you CAN find it here and in a pinch I buy it... Back in the states I do it all on internet for the best prices avoiding all the little high priced shops...

I've been coming to Latin America for years but this is the first year I literally escaped the NY winter just for that... so I could keep painting... For the price of just firewood I bought a plane ticket... no brainer there. But now that I'm here (1st time in Guate) Wow.. I love it...

Family has a hard time wrapping head around the perceived danger... endless stories of murder and dismemberment...  Geez, why don't you just hop a plane to Italy?  You know, I would.... I've never been to Italy.... but I have to admit I came here because it's cheap.

I live in a place off the tourist area in an apt... I pay the equivalent of $36/month... try doing THAT in Italy! And now that I've found Guatemala I see how unique it is... Italy is still great at (being Italy)...  That's the beauty of diversity...

chau

Hello. :)

Just to remind you that this thread title is 5 good reasons for living in Guatemala. If you want to discuss another subject, please start a new thread on the Guatemala forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie
Expat.com Team

I'd say those are more good reasons to live in Guatemala, so now Aurelie can relax lol

...You can find your supplies
...Have wonderful scenery and people to paint
...No harsh winters
...Cost of living is extremely low and more than reasonable
(Italy is far from cheap -- they have taxes on their taxes! lol)

(hopefully I'll have some orchids for Hop4Scotch to paint shortly after I arrive ;) )

Cheers to all who contributed -- you've done a great job!

Ciao!

DQ

Aurélie,
Why put us back on topic if no one else is complaining about it? If others are not posting or not making negative comments, what is the problem?

Or to stay on topic should I say it this way
1. What is the problem
2. No one is complaining
3. It is good communication between expats
4. Making too many rules just puts people off
5. No harm no foul

Hello Guategringo. :)

In order to avoid being off topic, we advise members to create a new thread on the forum. This will definitely allow better interaction.

[Sorry guys for the off topic]

Regards,
Aurélie
Expat.com Team

1. Beautiful view almost anywhere you look
2. Generally an awesome  climate (although the pacific coast can extremely hot and humid at certain times of the year)
3. The happy go-lucky attitude of Guatemalans, laid back
4. Freedom to do what you please (ride in the back of your pick up on the careterra) and many other things that I needed permits or was breaking a laws to enjoy in the north
5. After 3 years everything here still feels like an adventure...even going out to buy a cake can turn into a fun filled day

Excellent post Oscarmancio! :)

I really enjoy seeing all these reasons everyone loves this place -- it just confirms my decision over and over :)

I think we need to sit in the back of Oscar's truck and have cake when I get there!!!

Sounds like no nazi checkpoints either! Yay! They are all over the USSA now...

DQ

Guategringo, thank you! I couldn't have said it better myself! We are having wonderful interaction and need no interference whatsoever.

I appreciate you all participating here -- those of us almost there can breathe a little bit more relaxed now. You are helping us more than you know :)

DQ

Since Molina came into power, there has been way more check points to check vehicle registration. I have been stopped a couple of times. It is actually funny to watch how many people pull U-turns when they see these check points set up.

Oscar, where are these checkpoints? I was hoping to escape the gestapo activities like we have now in the USSA :(

DQ

DQ I would not be worried by the checkpoints. Acutally they make things safer. They are looking for unregistered cars, people with arrest warrants and what not.

I have been stopped a numerous occasions. Sometime I show them an old U.S. drivers license and speak English to them and it makes things quicker. Other times I show them my local driver's license and speak in Spanish.

Referring to them as Gestapo is going to scare off other possible expats. They are there to try to get the unregistered, stolen or unsafe autos off the road. In the interior of the country that are checkpoints with national police and the army and they tend to make tourists uncomfortable, but they are not there to get bribes or scare or hurt people. Often times they will pull over certain types of cars if they are looking for a particular person....

It is a part of the folklore here in paradise!!!! BUT BY NO MEANS IS IT GESTAPO

I am pretty sure anyone living in the USSA currently understands what I wrote -- there are "check points" popping up EVERYWHERE. They were not here even just a few years ago, it's pretty ridiculous here now.

Expats from the USSA will totally get this, no worries :)

Did they really accept an old US driver's license as acceptable? That's interesting. We are driving down from Seattle, so my registration will be from here -- and I am planning to get the truck re-registered and insured once we arrive there.

You mention the interior of the country; are we talking about Antigua or ?

DQ

I have an expired driver's license from Massachusetts from about five years ago. I renewed mine every five years there just in case, but have not done that since 2008.

Most cannot read English and they are probably making sure the name on the license matches the paperwork from the car and the paperwork from the car matches the VIN number and plates...

No, not Antigua. I mean further along the CA-1 towards Pana, Solola and into Xela, Huehue.. Although I was stopped last week in the middle of Guatemala City in Zone 9 by a check point with national police and the army. No harm no foul!!!!

When do you leave Seattle? Keep me posted my wife and I would love to have coffee with you when you are here in the Land of Eternal Spring.

very interesting. I had not thought about checkpoints.
Hope there will be no "Fake" checkpoints where
you might get robbed--or worse.
  I guess I watch too many movies--but it is possible.

GuateGringo: That is really funny about the MA expired license lol I will have to bring my old California license and try that just for fun :) YES -- I would really enjoy meeting folks that I am chatting with here once I arrive. The departure date for us is July 1 -- I wanted June 1 but had too much to conclude here to make that date. We are driving from Seattle to Brownsville TX, and meeting up with other soon to be expats who are "escaping" from the USSA :) Then we are driving down the Gulf side of Mexico and crossing over to the Pacific side, and down into Guate. Trying to avoid mountains where we can since it will be rainy season in full swing (Great planning, huh? :) )

Scifisteve: I wouldn't stress about fake checkpoints, but be aware. I have heard of groups stopping lines of cars to rob them, but I think that was more at night and in the mountains -- so just be safe and choose your driving times wisely.

DQ

I agree the stops generally make things safer. In got stopped today just outside of Puerto San Jose, the police told us 2 motorcycles had been stolen, this is why they had set up in this particular area. It was painless and quick

Hello > Can you please concentrate on the initial topic "5 good reasons for living in Guatemala" ?
[or you can start a new topic on the forum]

Thank you.
Christine
Expat.com team

I'm scifisteve55, I am surprised a little that someone else has part of my "Call Sign"! Anyway, yes, I would like to hear the five good reasons to move there. I have a friend that has just been down there and that is why I am going to check it out.
Hopefully avoiding some of the bad travel times and road thieves, that would really ruin a good trip!!!
Scifisteve55

Hiya Steve :)

Just scroll up and you will see alot of great reasons to relocate to Guate.

DQ

Scifisteve55 from Tampa,
I scrolled, seams pretty good, so long as you don't forget where you are!
I will be down there in late October, will spend a few days in Antigua, and then head for the lake! I will be down there for a little over a month.
I am hoping to get some good information on how to leave the airport safely, best times to leave the airport and where to go in Antigua to stay cheaply for a couple of days. Then--- what to take to get to the lake. I will probably be looking for the biggest and closest town on the lake, where a lot of Americans are?
  If you know anyone with those answers, that would be great, as I am planning this "Vacation" with as much info as possible. No-stress is my goal! I don't want to look like a lost tourist--that's always a target!!
Steve

Hey Steve:

Excellent plan! Best way is to be as informed as possible before making the trip. That is what I have been trying to do as well. I should be there before you, so perhaps we can arrange a meeting with the chat group here at a local cafe' :)

DQ

Hi  Steve,

From the Airport to Antigua it is easy , a short drive if you go before 1600 and avoid Friday pm.
You will be very safe to reserve a shuttle and they will be waiting for you to take you to Antigua.
Where to stay for cheap.. well what cheap is for you.. I like hotel Aurora a middle range hotel well located...
Same to go to the lake.. take a tourist shuttle and you will be safe and one drive to the lake.
Panajachel is the entry town of Lake Atitlan where you will found a big (250?) expat living there.
THen you have smaller town like Sta Cruz accesible by boat 15 minutes drive quieter...
Keep asking

Best
Armand

Christine wrote:

Hello > Can you please concentrate on the initial topic "5 good reasons for living in Guatemala" ?
[or you can start a new topic on the forum]

Thank you.
Christine
Expat.com team

For God's sake! We ARE talking about the 5 reasons. Perhaps we should just start our own chat room. This is ridiculous. We're not 12 years old ya know!

Geez!