Those looking for friends & other Expats

Hi, I'm in Thailand living currently but from the US and planning to maybe spend a year in Croatia too once I get married to my GF.  But in reading posts here, I see many lonely expats wanting new friends and company.  I just wanted to write and say, whenever Im in a foreign place the best community of other foreigners I always find are the Couchsurfing community.  They usually have gatherings in every city on the planet weekly and you meet tons of foreigners from around the globe.  The Wed weekly gatherings in Bangkok, Thailand have around 100 people from all over the world gathered talking and drinking til late at night.  I've been to them all over Europe and the US too.  In Prague the weeklys are just insane with 2-300 people gathered every Thurs I think it was.  I Couchsurfed through Croatia last year in two cities there and its one of the reasons I hope to return and live there mostly while travelling Europe. 
   Well I hope what I said helped, and I'd like help over the next year in figuring out price comparisons between living there and in Thailand.  Mainly renting a nice condo/apt in a good coastal city.  What can I get for around 500-700 Euro?  Do you think you picked the right city to move to? Why?  Or where do you wish you'd gone and why?  Thanks!

Hi joelc23,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

I am sure you will get lots of new contacts here.

We also help members to organise Expat.com meet up.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Joel,
Im British and have been living in Zadar in Dalmacija since 2005. I feel its better than Zagreb to live in and better placed than Split. Theres lots to do. The only thing they dont have here is work!

Chris

Ah thanks for the info Chis, I'll look into that city.  I wouldn't be looking for work there =)

Hi Joel,
I live near to the Opatija riviera on the Kvarner Bay area. I meet with internationals living here often,there is 1 from Thailand living in Opatija.
You can get a fairly good apt for 500-700euros monthly. My neighbour just rented his 3 bedroom apt unfurnished for 300 euros monthly.We live 5 mins drive from the sea.

I moved here only because my husband is Croatian and wanted to return home after living out on cruise ships for many years, job wise its a disaster and very had to find, but the life here is laid back, my doors are open all day long and people are friendly. Italy is just 1 hour drive to Trieste and 3 hours to Venice, Austria about 3 hours and Slovenia 30 mins.
Which cities here in Croatia did you find the couchsurfing?

There is a large Expat group in Zagreb that meet regularly, and I have a fbook group with foreigners, we meet regularly but its hard to get everyone in this area together, everyone is always busy.
I will be hosting a  bring and share christmas gathering this Sunday and i have no idea who will show up.
Anyway i hope i answered your question. Good luck.