New arrival - help with accomodation, gyms, new friends,

Hi, I am new to the blog and arrive in Al Ain in 2 weeks to work for Adveti at one of the technical schools.

Does anyone have any advice on good locations to live near the school? I was given a PO Box address P.O. Box: 23826 - Al Ain - UAE but this doesnt seem to come up on any maps. Im looking for a studio apartment and willing to apartment share with like minded professionals.

Also are the gyms in the hotels the only gyms in the area?

If there are any teachers, or anyone who is in Al Ain looking to grab a coffee and make new friends let me know. ( 31, from Newcastle, England but lived in Boston,USA for the last 3 years, working as a college soccer coach and fitness coach).

thank you - any advise would be much appreciated

davidm161280 wrote:

Hi, I am new to the blog and arrive in Al Ain in 2 weeks to work for Adveti at one of the technical schools.

Does anyone have any advice on good locations to live near the school? I was given a PO Box address P.O. Box: 23826 - Al Ain - UAE but this doesnt seem to come up on any maps. Im looking for a studio apartment and willing to apartment share with like minded professionals.

Also are the gyms in the hotels the only gyms in the area?

If there are any teachers, or anyone who is in Al Ain looking to grab a coffee and make new friends let me know. ( 31, from Newcastle, England but lived in Boston,USA for the last 3 years, working as a college soccer coach and fitness coach).

thank you - any advise would be much appreciated

firsly welcome to alain. whts the name of school u will be working at? and dear with p.o.box u wont find address. it is just a post office box where u will receive letters and other mails etc....it doesnt denote any physical address.

yes there r gyms other then the ones in hotels. whts the area u live in. so will c if there is any gym near....

thank you.

the school is part of adveti - abu dhabi vocational education training institute and the school is known as secondary technical school al ain. i still cant find where this is. but would like to live near the school, if there are any gyms around there that would also be great, thanks for the help -)

just let me know the area name if u can. if u have contact then call then and ask. will let u know then.....

the school is right next to 137th street and near Al Ain hospital and in the Al Mutarad area if that helps. thanks - any info on the area, apartments, gyms would be great

yep that would help. well there is gym in rotana hotel near to it. then there is a gym in al-jimi area. and then also a gym near clock tower.... yes there r villas but will have to check whether there is any space or no....

thanks -  do you know the cost of a membership for the rotana and what that includes?

A coworker uses the Rotana gym daily. Their 6 month memberships for AED 3000 are sold out so you will be paying AED 1100/month. He says the gym is rarely crowded. I know of one not in a hotel. It is located next to the Liberty Motors repair shop. I don't have any info on the pricing for that one.

Where you live will depend on your housing budget. Some contracts allow you to keep what you do not spend which is nice. If you're in that situation, don't feel you have to spend it all. :) Welcome to Al Ain!

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying life in Al Ain and the rest of the Emirates. My name's Hussain and I'll be moving to Al Ain from London early December inshallah. Whats the best way to go about looking for Apartments and Villas in Al Ain. Have you newbies found suitable accommodation out there? How did you go about it? I have around 100,000 AED housing allowance so I hope I can find something decent, nothing under a bridge I hope ;-)

Any help appreciated...

:-)

dear hussen,
u can find a good thing by max 35000DHS for one bed room flat, 42000 for 2 bed rooms , 54000 for 3 bedrooms,
72000 for a good villa.
go for the palm complex or al faya comlex,  they r good, clean, nice places.

Thanks for the info! Appreciated.

Hey all,
Currently interviewing for teaching positions at ADVETI.  What you know about this school?  What can you tell me about the society?  What activities and past times are available? 
A bit nervous to uproot my entire life, but looking to change my life and broaden my horizons.  Thanks for any help.

Hey dude there are good gyms one is to open soon behind jimi hospital it will open in february very big gym with sauna and very good stuff I have seen and it will b much cheaper than rotana or hotel gyms 200 to 300 I guess a month I have been living here for 17 years its a lovely place

Hi David,
How did you settle in UAE?
Are you still working at Adveti?

I have a job starting in February 2015 with them. Is there any advice you can give me about living there and working for them please?

Cheers