Thinking of moving to Istanbul as a single woman and teaching English!

Hello all!!!

I am looking at making a life-altering change and moving from a 9-5 cubicle job to teaching English abroad. I want to start in Turkey! I have some questions though, directed toward anyone who would care to answer. I would really appreciate any help though, because it will help me to make my decision.

How easy is it to meet people/ex-pats over there?

How is the culture for women over there?

What would be the one key piece of advice you would give to someone coming over there for the first time?

I look forward to all of your input!

Thanks,
Dina

Hi Dina!!
I'm an English Lecturer. I was born and brought up here in İstanbul. You can ask me any kinds of questions. You asked about the cultural aspects for women. Turkey especially İstanbul is a modern city so you won't face many difficulties I guess but it also depends on where you are originally from. This plays a cricial role when you compare the two cultures. People from Mediterrenian countries can adapt easier tnan the ones from U.S.A or Europe. It also depends on your personality if you're an easy-going and sociable person then nothing to fear about. I hope you'll have fun and a nice job here.
For further questions write me without any hesitation
Keep in touch!
Duygu

Hi Dina,

I'm also from the states and a woman and just moved to Istanbul to teach English. Feel free to email me with any specific questions.

To answer the ones above:
I haven't had any problems adjusting to the culture here as a woman. Istanbul is a very cosmopolitan city. However I'm not super smile-y and outgoing. A friend who is more typically American in that sense said she had to adjust her behavior quite a bit.

For meeting other expats, I'd suggest joining couchsurfers - they have a regular weekly meeting to get to know people in the city, expat, local and visitors alike. Plus you'd probably be working in one of the bigger language schools so there will be plenty of other teachers there.

And last my one key piece of advice - make sure you have enough money to last at least two months here, it's not cheap. And all the schools that I've talked to pay monthly, usually on the 15th of the month for the previous month. So, for example, I started work on Oct. 31st. I'll get paid for only that day on Nov. 15th. Now I have to live off my savings until Dec 15th when I'll get my pay for Nov.

Oh and for English teaching, do some sort of cerificate before you come. A celta is best as it's the most well recognized (and can be done here too).

Good luck!