European Community

I would love to create a European Community in Riyadh.

Of course it will welcome all expats but the focus is on the 'European Union'.

Who's in?

Is UK accounted as part of European union

Only if we are not paying ;-)

Count me in!

Martin Fin wrote:

I have read about the Euro crisis. Can understand that :P

Guess that means some of us will have to start a 'North American Community'--although all others are welcome.

What happened to my EB Community ?
:o

ghanshyampdave wrote:

What happened to my EB Community ?
:o

EXACTLY!  :top:

Firstly...
even if it turns out that I'm stupid for not knowing...
whats EB ?

Second of all:

@Martin Fin
YES! UK is on top of the list :) well regarding details..still need to figure them out..but even if there was a fee..it would be minimal .. so no worries..I guess you'll be able to afford it despite all Euro crisis ;)

You're not at all stupid. You're a newbie to the EB. :)

EB stands for ExpatBlog. Not European Blog pls ;)

No fees for that one :P

ghanshyampdave wrote:
Martin Fin wrote:

I have read about the Euro crisis. Can understand that :P

Nothing to do with the Euro crisis just the British still have a currency. Not sure about the banks though. ;-)

Like the idea but gotta stick up for Alliecat, she has been a good buddy on here for me and would hate that she should be excluded.
Hows about EECANA
EUROPEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY AND NORTH AMERICANS.
But if we do that then we will upset my Canadian dude by excluding him, which is not good as he is a real pal, got a good mate who is from Palestine also, and my Sudanese doctor pal will take the hump.

Gents and Gentesses, this is an expat community, we should include ALL expats, being insular does no-one any good we need to look after each other.

But its time that we should meet up, time for typing stops and actions start.

Anyone got a decent compound where we could meet, I don,t mind helping with organisation, think I can blag a Karaeoke.

My compound is really poor and I would be embarrassed to bring you guys here, but I can arrange it if you want to slum it.

Come on lets do it.
Al

Moestavern wrote:

Gents and Gentesses, this is an expat community, we should include ALL expats, being insular does no-one any good we need to look after each other.

BRAVO, Moe!  Exactly my thinking.  It was bothering me more than any of you can know that a total stranger came to this forum and suggested such a thing.. somebody who isn't even in Saudia yet (and we know how that goes--the people who come to this forum, stir things up, and then disappear, never to be heard from again). 

I also want to point out that the person who suggested this also registered in the forum  under two different user names and  posted under each name.  Add to that the pic that was grabbed from the net, plus the reference to 'spicy.' This is all reminiscent of a certain troll from earlier this year ....

Alliecat wrote:

I also want to point out that the person who suggested this also registered in the forum  under two different user names and  posted under each name.  Add to that the pic that was grabbed from the net, plus the reference to 'spicy.' This is all reminiscent of a certain troll from earlier this year ....

:one

Moestavern wrote:

Al

:top: Bulls Eye !!

@Alliecat, @saimans

Dear Allieca and saimans,

you don't have to like everything you read on this page, it's not really very 'open minded' to suggest untruthful things about a person on a website that should be 'welcoming'.

There is no extra credit for people who have been longer registered..you were a new member once too, so leave your accusations to something more fruitful, if you don't know the meaning of 'spiced up' then look it up instead of relating it to something 'dingy'.

Amazing it is how you think that people can't just look good and be self-confident enough to post a real picture of themselves, I don't see how your pictures are in any relation to the person behind your profiles.

I addition to the personal accusations you have made (and this is not the place to become personal when nobody has come near you even), you totally missed the topic and whatever came afterwards. A European community that welcomes all expats is not excluding anybody.

You are becoming personal and out of limits on a page that is made for people who are global minded and respectful towards one another, even when just having joined recently, I at least understood that already.

Hiding behind some alias name and photograph makes it easy for people to just blab, I doubt you are any brazen in real life.

Moestavern wrote:

Hows about EECANA
EUROPEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY AND NORTH AMERICANS.

This sounds like a bigger Financial Crisis to me. First Euro, now North America. God save the world from another recession. :P

Moestavern wrote:

But if we do that then we will upset my Canadian dude by excluding him, which is not good as he is a real pal, got a good mate who is from Palestine also, and my Sudanese doctor pal will take the hump.

You put this one really well, mate. Hats off!

saimans wrote:
Moestavern wrote:

Al

:top: Bulls Eye !!

That's why I spare no one :P

Maiss wrote:

@Alliecat, @saimans

Dear Allieca and saimans,

No credit for me ?? :mad::o

@ghanshyampdave

here you go ;)

of course! you explained EB to me :) plus you got a great sense of humor :)

Maiss wrote:

@ghanshyampdave

here you go ;)

of course! you explained EB to me :) plus you got a great sense of humor :)

We should meet sometime. :cool:

@Moestavern

Yes like mentioned before a European Community that welcomes all expats, focusing on European things like the most recent event EuroCup 2012 for instance. Where EVERYBODY watched 'Europe' playing without feeling excluded.

So I guess everyone is clever enough to understand that this has nothing to do with excluding anybody. There are specific European things people can share among each other.

So like all expats you would be very welcome to join gatherings and other events.

@ all
'Would' = meaning nothing has happened yet... but we surely spoke about it enough already in a negative way..so how about some open minds..

Maiss wrote:

@Moestavern

Yes like mentioned before a European Community that welcomes all expats, focusing on European things like the most recent event EuroCup 2012 for instance. Where EVERYBODY watched 'Europe' playing without feeling excluded.

I protested the Euro Cup because they dint allow my team - the Chennai Super Kings to participate in their tournament. :mad:

Please count me in.
I am amased at how dippy some people are in this blog not you Maiss. European Community that welcomes all expats: Am in all the way. So, what's the plan? what do you want us to do?

I've had my say so I'll drop off this thread.

Best of luck to you all.

@ Maiss - I would have loved to give you the answer to all your apprehensions, but I don't want to be excluded from the happening European Community!!! :P

@ Humbleman – These were the DIPPY people who helped you for football, second hand cars, horse riding, X-box, username, driving license,  compounds etc etc…… :lol:

saimans wrote:

@ Maiss - I would have loved to give you the answer to all your apprehensions, but I don't want to be excluded from the happening European Community!!! :P

Hey you'll be out of focus ! Bcos the focus is on them. :unsure

saimans wrote:

@ Humbleman – These were the DIPPY people who helped you for football, second hand cars, horse riding, X-box, username, driving license,  compounds etc etc…… :lol:

I love them Dippies! Sounds like hippies ;)

HUMBLEMAN wrote:

Please count me in.
I am amased at how dippy some people are in this blog not you Maiss. European Community that welcomes all expats: Am in all the way. So, what's the plan? what do you want us to do?

Dear Humbleman, dear all interested

Yes 'dippy' they are :)

It sounds like great motivation! Glad to know!

First of all I think we should gather thoughts about (you and me and everyone interested) what an awesome European Community in Riyadh must have.

Our ultimate goal should be about bringing expats together with their families for:

Social activities, events and programs for adults, kids and families

Cross-cultural programs and events, this is where a European Community makes so much sense with all our cultures

Celebrating European holidays

Historic tours of local attractions

Opportunities for networking and the development of special interest groups like in sports, motor bikes, reading, movies, etc..

The receiving of a monthly or weekly newsletter of events and community resources

Membership program with access to a community forum and special events

The Euro Cup this year would have been a great opportunity for example to organize 'community game viewings' to get together, watch the games etc...

It would also include helping new comers get into the Riyadh lifestyle, meaning 'event lists (that the community has organized), 'European' schools, after school activities, sports, do's and don'ts, and so on.

It should be called the European and Expat Community Riyadh, we can approach the embassies and schools, on the long run it will be a 'base' for all expats in Riyadh, a 'real' base, where people meet each other and connect.

Maybe it's also a good idea to create an e-mailing list for the ones who want to help building our project, that way any negative vibe will be excluded.

I would love to hear all your thoughts :)

Hi Maiss!

Why create another group?

On Expat.com itself you may organize MeetUp among Expat.com members, you are free.;)

If you have some ideas, do not hesitate to propose it.

Harmonie.

As Harmonie rightly pointed out use this forum for all activities you intend to plan. This forum is unique as it has bridged gap between east and west. This is most diverse, multi-cultural and active forum in Riyadh. You can organise all you want with out using "European or American" name/bias.
Do keep in mind most of "European and American" nationality holders on this forum originate from other parts of world.

I am not asking for anybody's permission or blessing.

The topic is 'Who's in?', not whether you are pro or contra.

Sounds like a great idea. It would greatly help revive the participation of better understanding the different types of cultural diversity. No matter how long someone has been in a particular place, I think we all lack knowledge of other types of cultures and the history of a certain country.

MkSirawan wrote:

Sounds like a great idea. It would greatly help revive the participation of better understanding the different types of cultural diversity. No matter how long someone has been in a particular place, I think we all lack knowledge of other types of cultures and the history of a certain country.

I like your way of thinking :)

willkommen :-)

I wanna join your Euro club. Count me in!

I can help with the school part as I am a teacher who will start working for an international school from August 21st. I'll spread the word. Anything else I can do pls let me know.

@humbleman

oh thats fantastic!

I'm making a list of all requirements to create a European network and can forward that one to you if you want.

Count me in...
I am from London and 2 weeks old in Riyadh. So still getting my head around with the roads and the culture!

Cheers
Mush

Same here.. I am new to Riyadh and from London. Count me in..

all counted in for expat Community party lol..we need to know the location  :lol:

wilson_derry wrote:

all counted in for expat Community party lol..we need to know the location  :lol:

How about Europe.. :P

Closed