Driving license in Ecuador

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Ecuador?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Ecuador?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

I doubt it and have never seen that someone got a licence here with a passport. The licence number is tied to your cedula (national ID) number. Once you get some kind of permanent status here, you can get a cedula, and, eventually a licence.
There is no exchanges of your foreign licence. You must pass through one of the many driving schools (Aneta, Senec etc.), which presently cost about $170 and lasts a couple of weeks. All in Spanish, of course. You graduate the school by passing a driving test with a friendly instructor that probably passes everybody. Then, you pass a theoretical exam at "Jefatura de Transito" and $40 later you get your licence.
Currently, you don't need nothing to get an A-class licence (motorcycle), besides showing up at Jefatura and passing the theoretical exam.
I know expats driving here with US licence for years. Technically, you have to be a tourist and prove it to a cop, but... it is Ecuador.
Any questions, let me know.
Cheers.

Thank you for your help 3lckr! :)

Aurélie

If you obtain an International Drivers License before you come down, which you can do for about $15 I believe at any AAA office, you do not have to take the driving test. Only the written exam.

Rene

I have been through this. The int. licence is good for up to a year. After that you have to take a 8 day driving class and then take a written state test. Spain is the only country that Ec will exchange licences with.

Have fun

tom

I'm sorry if I may have made a confusing post. While my International Drivers license was still valid, I went to get my local license. They waived the driving part of the test. I only had to take the written (in Spanish, of course).

renetorres wrote:

If you obtain an International Drivers License before you come down, which you can do for about $15 I believe at any AAA office, you do not have to take the driving test. Only the written exam.

Rene

This is probably something new. You just go directly to Jefatura with your International licence, skipping the driving school?

I don't know if its new. I did it about 2.5 years ago. Never went to a driving school. I just bought the written test info booklet, and took the written. No driving test. At least that was my experience. I cannot vouch for what it is like now, considering how many things change all the time.

renetorres wrote:

I don't know if its new. I did it about 2.5 years ago. Never went to a driving school. I just bought the written test info booklet, and took the written. No driving test. At least that was my experience. I cannot vouch for what it is like now, considering how many things change all the time.

Never heard about it, and I did have friends in Policia Nacional who guided me through the process... anyway, worth the shot, maybe... although I must say that attending a driving school is a great way to meet locals and practice your Spanish. A gringo in a driving school: you'll be a center of attention.