Meeting English speaking people in Morocco

What can I say? it just aint easy. Where on earth do you find them?

Im living in Tanger. Single 38 and would like to meet more English Speaking people.

Check out the American Schools, and American Language Centers (both available in several cities), and sometimes at cybercafes.  If you sign up for French classes at the French Cultural Centers, sometimes you meet English-speaking expats in your classes.  Sometimes it's just a chance encounter in a taxi or place of business.  Keep your ears open for English, and strike up a conversation.  You may get lucky.  In Casa or Rabat there is also the American Women's association (check with Embassy or Consulate for information).

The Morocco expat network might also help ;)

Hello Shan , is it that hard ?
Am planning to stay in casablanca for around one year !

i mike to know more about people kinds

I have been facing the same problem I live in casablanca and I would really like it if I could meet some emglish speaking persons

Hi shaann

I hope th

Hi shaann

I hope you could find some friends in tangier :)

I m hind from casablanca,and i speak english too. We can be friends if it can help :)

hind

Ditto all of that!
I'm here in Rabat...how I wish I would have taken a longer French course because I don't remember anything :(
Quite difficult to meet others so far.

Will be in Casablanca over Christmas - I'm hoping to live in Morocco very soon, but need to wait for the OH to get employed, but I'm wondering do you expats on here work, and what kind of jobs or companies (just curious :) ).... ?

brainysmurf im from rabat i can help u about ur french and u can help me about my english if u want (it's not quit difficult to meet others so far...cuz im one here)maybe u are afraid of moroccans :)cuz of their bad reputations isnt? :)u can be honnest no problem ...and say what u think about us.

I am also living in rabat (moved here from England in sept) and find it hard to meet English speaking people. I have a lot of Moroccan friends and family but I just would like to mix with English speaking people as well. i find myself looking for anyone who looks remotely English in the supermarkets!!!

We tried finding the "Irish Pub" in Casa over Christmas, but no joy ! That's probably a good place to find some English speakers - IF you can find the bar, that is :/

i think there's one in rabat...where there's lot of americans and irish ppl there.i saw it in tv.

Meeting english people in Morocco is easier to find than before! I know a lot that even studied at Ifrane University or in UK and US schools. If anyone is interested, pls contact me!

as much as I would love to meet the Expat - English speakers I would also love to meet the locals...i find that the best way to get to know a place is through the eyes of the locals.. i guess I'll have to try and meet them somehow!

Hi Tarn,
I don't think meeting the locals is so much a problem, you meet and become familiar with lots of locals in the shops, in your neighbourhood and of course through extended family. My problem is meeting English speaking people in Rabat. Lots and lots of French. The English speaking people I do meet tend to be here just for holiday. With my Arabic and French still in the infancy stage its difficult.
I fear living in Morocco is becoming much harder than I first thought it would be, also finding work is not easy unless you also speak Arabic and French, no matter what your experience!
Anyway, good luck! ;-)

meriembekri wrote:

I have been facing the same problem I live in casablanca and I would really like it if I could meet some emglish speaking persons

Hey guys,Just came form the states. Doeas anyone want to be freinds and hang out in CASABLANCA. My email address is [email protected]

Hi All,

I have been here in Rabat now for more than 2 months and the only place where I found people speaking English is office where I work. I speak Arabic though it does not help much because i can not understand the local accent most of the time and also in resturants all menus are in french and I need translation all the time!
Anyway, anybody who is interested in hanging out please feel free to write me (I speak English, German and yet Arabic!)

Cheers!

Hi Mazen, it doesn't say in your profile if you're male or female? Which company do you work for that uses English? I am looking for a job, but my French and Arabic are very limited! Although I am trying to improve this.
I have found a few (and I mean just a few) English speaking people in Rabat.

Hi Madam eljamaly, I am a male and not sure why it does not show there. I work in the Telecom engineering field and most of the local people I deal with at work speak english. On the other side, all work emails or meetings are only in french and here comes the problem. If you check with telecom vendors like Ericsson, NSN, Motorola ..etc I am sure you'll find many expats working here with no knowledge of french or arabic. Also if you check with telecom service providers like Maroc Telecom, Meditel you may find some jobs which needs good command of english because of dealing with vendors (non french). This is the only advise I can give here. Nevertheless, you need to put efforts into improving your french if you're going to relocate here in Morocco for long time.

I'm an English speaker moving to Rabat in April for a few months. I also speak French. I would be happy to meet up and have a language exchange, although honestly I am going to work on my French.

Hello !

I am a young Canadian entrepreneur from Montreal, recently installed in Rabat, and would also love to meet english speakers to sharpen my english skills.

I propose to that all Rabat english speaking expatriates to discover my new restaurant named Barock, in the Agdal neighborhood (see map), in an oriental atmosphere sprinkled with Jazz and Latin music.

To celebrate the grand opening, I have the pleasure to offer you a bottle of wine for every meal (unlimited offer until March 25th, 2010)

For any additional information, here is my telephone number: 0661957295

Looking forward to meeting you !

Hatim

eljamaly wrote:

I am also living in rabat (moved here from England in sept) and find it hard to meet English speaking people. I have a lot of Moroccan friends and family but I just would like to mix with English speaking people as well. i find myself looking for anyone who looks remotely English in the supermarkets!!!

hi im in kenitra and speak english fast i think that is the thing i miss the most not speaking fast hahaha  if u want to contact me  im in rabat more often than not

cheers

Hi,

I recently moved to Casablanca from London, would love to meet english speaking people as well. I am trying to find a school where I can go and learn French but can't find it.

Welcome rachna30, maybe you should start a new discussion on the Casablanca forum ?

Hi All,
It seems that we are all wanting to hang out with English speaking folks like all of us.
I have a proposal, why do not we form a social group in Casablanca so we can meet biweekly in a coffee shop or restaurant or go on outings. This will give all of us a chance to mingle and network. If there is an American family or English family interested for playgroup for the kids, please let me know.
If anyone interested, please email me at: [email protected]
I look forward to meeting you all.
Cheers.

Hello to everyone.
I'am surprised to realize that it is not easy for you all to meet english speaking people. I believe that when there's a will there always a way. As far as I know many moroccans wil be delighted to speak english too. I'am one of them because, from time to time I'am just asking where have they gone ?

Idriss

benjawad i think you re right!

the problem is how are we going to proceed ...

heeey guys!!

im heading to marrakech on first week of may !!!
id be so glad to find some english speaking friends :)

looking forward to hear from some

I will try to make a suggestion:

I remmember we used it with some friends all over the world.

Why not plan a meeting via internet , such as place in the net to chat (paltalk-group), msn, skype....), and we decided about a timing that arrange everyone. So we can talk as in public place even if we are from different areas.

it's true that the best is to meet in real, drinking a tea, or so.... however if anyone is interested just decide about a date and a topic.

Any suggestions?

i agree

lets do it , on msn we all can share opinions instantly n plan aswell

My job places me in Casablanca frequently and I really dislike eating alone.
If any of you English speakers wants to have dinner one of these days, let me know.

I would prefer people aged 20 to 35, but I mostly like to have funny/interesting conversations during meals and my inner chat just isn't cutting it anymore... =)

I like the Novotel Hotel as it usually is a nice place to meet English people or at least those who speak it. Drinks are not too expensive either

I find ^people speaking english where i go they  are everywhere   where on earth do u live  hahaha

This blog is very informative, thanks to Julien. I am Canadian fluent in English and French (written and spoken)and I am speculating about the outcome of moving to Morocco after reading all the above and other feedback. Many of the expats tend to focus on the English speaking problem but nobody so far has expressed his/her feeling about the attitudes and behaviours of Moroccans. Like one guy above, Zoltari puts it "about the bad reputation of Moroccans" What does he mean? It's scary. Is it worth moving to Morocco? My first impression is that they lack the decency of being polite and courteous. Please correct me if I am wrong, I hope I am not jumping to conclusion. Please heip me clarify my doubts.

Thank you

Zozo Conde

My first impression is that they lack the decency of being polite and courteous.

I completely disagree with that statement. Although you may find that most Moroccans do not fit your expectations for 'polite and courteous', this has nothing to do with decency.

They have a different culture and they value different things. This means that sometimes it can be very easy for you to be rude without even noticing...

Living in another culture means it's your job to adapt to them, and not the opposite.

Thank you for responding, nunocordeiro.

I do respect your opinion and it was never my intention to be rude. My motto is to call a spade a spade after reading the reactions of other Expat on this forum/blog. Sometimes the truth hurts. I know now what you mean, When you are in Rome , you should behave like Romans.

guyss im in marrakech now!!!

lets all do somethingggg!!!