Getting married in Slovenia

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Slovenia or who are about to get married in Slovenia to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Slovenia? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Slovenia)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hi,

You should check with your embassy in Slovenia what the requirements are and how they can provide you with the documents required from the Council you are getting married at.
For EU nationals it is a lot easier, I was only dealing with English paperwork, so wouldn't know any details for other nationalities. This is what is required:

In addition to the copy from the Register of Births (issued on the basis of international conventions and certified in accordance with the Act on Verification of Documents in International Traffic- which means you need Apostille stamp), foreign citizens are obliged to accompany their registration also with the following:

-single status certificate: certificate by the alien's resident country that there are no impediments for the conclusion of marriage, which you usually get from your Embassy
-proof of nationality (certificate or passport)

If the future spouse (foreign citizen) has already been married and the cessation of a previous marriage is not registered in the official registers, the latter is obliged to provide proof on the cessation of an earlier marriage (judgement or a copy form the Register of Deaths).

I have copied this from official Slovenian government website:

Alien marriage

I don't think you have to translate your birth certificate if that one has Apostille and is in English, but do check this with the Council you are getting married at.

Paperwork should not be older than 6 months and you should pay a visit to your council to sign an agreement and show your paperwork at least 3 weeks before the wedding, so they should be ready by then. Should there be any English people that need information, it gets slightly complicated with No impediment certificate, so let me know and I will gladly provide you with details. I think one of the best websites I've seen with detailed explanation on marriages was American one.

I would recommend getting more details on requirements from Council or officially known as Sector for Administrative Internal Affairs, Register Department, where you would like to get married. At the Administrative Unit you will receive information about vacant dates for the registration of your marriage. Future spouses can apply 6 months before the marriage, but not less than 14 days before getting married.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your help tantoon!

Regards
Armand

However, Slovenians never marry a foreigner at home, only in the other's country or a neutral country.  People would talk.

No bother, Armand, happy to help!

As for Slovenians getting married abroad, people would still talk, especially about 'how dare they expect everyone to cover for their own travel costs' lol ...

Well I guess that would be included in the usual preliminary negotiations between the two families' accountants, before ownership of the son or, more likely, daughter could be transferred. 

Which Slovenian accountancy firm will you be using to cement your romantic arrangements, Armand?  And have your parents got the really big tractor with the twirly attachment thing?

Sharing from my experience ....

1. Registering Marriage
To get married according to Slovenia law within Slovenia, you need:
  - Birth certificate
  - Document(s) from government office saying that you are single & there is no obligation for you to get married abroad

Both documents must be:
  - in english or translated into English & certified by Ministry of Foreign affair in your country for true signatures,
  - translated into Slovene by a certified translator (http://www.slovenia.si/en/live-and-work … g-married/)
  - brought to a consular office of your country in Slovenia to certify true signatures of your government officers, and
  - brought to Ministry of foreign affair in Slovenia to certify true signatures of your country's consul.

2. Applying for Permit
- You need a "no criminal record" document issued from your local police office. (again, it needs certification & translation into local language)
- Marriage document
- Photograph
- Health insurance
- Bank statement to certify enough fund during your stay
Your Slovene spouse will need to submit these documents to a municipal office (Upravna Enota) where you are residing.  Here, the government officer may refuse to speak to you in English.
- During application process, you will also need a signature from the house owner to grant permission of your stay.

Then, you will receive a permit titled "Residence Card of a Family Member of Slovenian Citizen"

Scope of "Family Member Residence Permit"
It allows non-EU national to:
1. reside in Slovenia
2. work in Slovenia
3. enter other Schengen countries for 90 days
4. follow your partner to work in other EEA countries

For more information, check www.europa.eu

Hi suchalee!

Thanks for helping ;)

Armand

Or you could just not get married.

Hi there! Could you please tell me how it goes with same-sex couples (civil partnerships)? I am a serbian national and my partner is an english national. I've read here that it can get slightly complicated for british national, so could you please explain me why? And how complicated it actually is? And one more question, if I am not bothering too much - will it not be a problem to register as civil partners there, considering the fact that none of us is a slovenian citizen and the fact that I am a non-EU? Thank you in advance for your reply ;)

Zdravo Gaultier 2014 , u  Sloveniji još nije moguče sklopiti brak između istospolnih partnera.  Mozete ziveti skupa  to se zove nešto kao 'istospolna partnerska zveza'  ali  neče se vas tretirati kao bračnu  zajednicu .  To znači , da ne mozete  posetiti  svog partnera u bolnici itd...  znam , da su neki sklopili  brak u Americi (Amerikanac/Slovenec) , imaju usvojeno dijete itd... ali  za njih mi nije jasno kakva pravila su usvojena npr poset u bolnici i ostalo.

Birja wrote:

Zdravo Gaultier 2014 , u  Sloveniji još nije moguče sklopiti brak između istospolnih partnera.  Mozete ziveti skupa  to se zove nešto kao 'istospolna partnerska zveza'  ali  neče se vas tretirati kao bračnu  zajednicu .  To znači , da ne mozete  posetiti  svog partnera u bolnici itd...  znam , da su neki sklopili  brak u Americi (Amerikanac/Slovenec) , imaju usvojeno dijete itd... ali  za njih mi nije jasno kakva pravila su usvojena npr poset u bolnici i ostalo.

As this is an English speaking forum could you please post in ENGLISH so that others can understand your post.
Thank you.

Pozdrav...hvala na odgovoru. Ja sam mislio da su prava ista kao u slučaju braka, ali vidim da nisu :( U svakom slučaju, hvala na odgovoru ;)

Stumpy I'm sorry ...somehow you are right ...but  I feel stupid to talk with somebody from my former  country in English .
Serbia  & Slovenia were part of old  Yugoslavia  so please ...  anyway  we have Google translator  , too    :)

Thanks for understanding this situation.

Gaultier2014 wrote:

Pozdrav...hvala na odgovoru. Ja sam mislio da su prava ista kao u slučaju braka, ali vidim da nisu :( U svakom slučaju, hvala na odgovoru ;)

English please...