Moving to Siem Reap soon

Hi,

Just returned from holidays and Siem Reap. As soon as I crossed the border, I felt a connection with this country. And after spending some time in Siem Reap I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed to get back here as soon as possible.

Now in the process of making arrangements to get back there. The people in Siem Reap are great and there's a certain girl I had to leave behind there which I can't wait to see again.

What I'm worried about mostly, is how troublesome is it to get settled there?

How do I go about getting a work visa?

My girlfriend is Khmer so getting a house or apartment shouldn't be all that hard is it?

Most important is, how hard is it to get a job here? I've been in the restaurant business for the better part of 10 years. My experience has mainly been focused on the bar at first, making cocktails and whatnot and for about 5 years I've been involved in management of restaurants. Aside from this I'm pretty good with languages, I tend to learn new languages quickly and am proficient in English, Spanish, French and Dutch with some basic understanding of Japanese.

So what should I be looking for? Restaurants? Clubs? Guide? Travel agency?

Planning to get myself settled first and maybe start something of my own after awhile.

Would be especially interested in doing something whick directly and indirectly helps the local populace as learning about the recent history really moved me.

Thanks for any information.

Hi Jon Snow and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to browse through the different thread of the forum, it may help.

Harmonie.;)

Hi Jon
Yes, many threads in French and English about Life in Siem Reap... Also on the web quite a few good websites:
- Canby Publications: Siem Reap Angkor Guide (FREE)
canbypublications.com/
- Cambodia Pocket Guides: Out & About, Drinking & Dining (FREE)
cambodiapocketguide.com/
Lots of great info on local places to eat, drink & stay plus info on things to see and do. There are witty editorial articles throughout these pint-sized guides. Updated quarterly.
talesofasia.com/
Great info on Cambodia and other parts of Asia
- Stay Another Day Guide
stayanotherdaycambodia.com
Useful suggestions for more things to do than just visit the temples.
- CamboGuide – The ultimate guide to Cambodia
camboguide.com/
We at CamboGuide strive to become the most complete guide to the Land of the Khmer.
- For those who wish to stay longer: housing and business information
siemreap-properties.info/
- Siem Reap Life
siemreaplife.com/
Information about events in Siem Reap

And more, Google Siem Reap!
Good luck

Bruno

Hi Jon,

I'm sure you could get a paid job teaching English at one of the universities or English speaking schools. There are many to choose from. You don't need a degree in teaching, but an understanding of teaching ESL would be to your advantage. www.esl.about.com is a great web-site. I have not yet met a Cambodian who doesn't want to learn English. Unfortunately not many can afford to pay for lessons, so you might even like to volunteer - it's extremely rewarding. I have noticed several restaurants and guest houses looking for English speaking workers so you may be in luck there as well.  I rent a one bed-roomed flat for $72 a month including water and electricity, just a 5 minute walk to the Old Markets. There are lots of houses, flats, apartments and rooms to choose from particularly now in the wet season.

Good luck, Lyn

Thanks for the advice. It's all very helpful. Am coming next week for a two week stay to start scouting out a place to stay and someplace to work. Thanks a lot