Move to PR

I'm planning to move to PR. Is $2,500 enough to live there?

It depends....Do you have a job lined up? Have you already established somewhere to live? Do you currently have friends/family living here?

wcintro1 wrote:

I'm planning to move to PR. Is $2,500 enough to live there?

Per month? Yes if you don't need to pay more than an apartment, a car, electricity, water, telephone, internet, food, medical plan etc. You might even have a couple of bucks left to eat out or hit a bar every now and then.

Thanks Gary! Abattig: I have family there but I don't plan to live with them. I'm a veteran with pension of 2500. I plan to rent somewhere around 600 to 800, no more than that and not in the metro area and having a car payment would be my only debt. No kids, just me and the wife. Do you think 2500 should be enough?

Hi wcintro1,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have introduced your topic as a new thread on the Puerto Rico forum for better visibility.

I think $2500 would be enough for living outside of the metro area.

No, it is not.

It depends on where and how you want to live and if there is anybody besides you. Since you'll have a car payment, that changes things a little. I wouldn't aim as high as $800 a month for rent. Your elect bill might run you $300-$400 a month with minimal AC usage. And I'll say it again, unless you live on rice and beans, food will decimate your budget. Come here and stay in a guest house for a week. Go to the supermarket and buy a week's worth of groceries and see how much it costs.

Why isn't it enough?  Perhaps his way of living differs from yours.  If the PR median household income is $21,645, I'm pretty sure he will be fine as he will be pulling in $30,000.

Hi PR;
We're planning a move from the Virgin Islands to Puerto Rico at the end of this yr.
Does anyone know of a Acupuncture Clinic on the island? I've been checking and haven't been able to find one.

My Acupuncturist told me that the law changed there and now Acupuncturist practioners have to be MD's.

Thank you,
Nancy

I'll be working at the farmers market in Rincon tomorrow. There are a few people there that would know. I'll get back to you.

Gregg

Hello,

I think you are right where only doctors can perform acupuncture.  Here is a link to the association of medical acupuncture of puerto rico.  It lists the doctors associated with this association.  Best of luck :)http://www.aacupuntura.org/members/memb … ctory.html

Thank you so much for the info and help.
Nancy

Dr. Illanas in Mayaguez
787-315-2506

He comes highly recommended.

Not sure what area you are looking for but there is a great magazine which is published in both English and Spanish which i get at my chiropractor; covers all the alternative, health food, chiros etc. around the island.   it has all the info you need.  dont' have a copy with me by you can contact my chiro: Dr. Sierra- Jarot. the web site is: http://www.tuquiropracticopr.com/index.php?p=62901. they are the best. She is the head of the Chiropractic association in PR and a great person.

GreggK, Abattig and Moving?
I so appreciate all your help. As I do holistic medical treatments for my illness, it's imperative that I be able to continue the same when I get there. I was starting to panic thinking I wouldn't be able to get the necessary treatment and Mayaguez will be close to where I'll be moving. I'll be visiting PR in March and am excited to visit all the wonderful museums, cathedrals, etc there and experience the great culture. (and of course, try out my murderous Spanish)
Thank you again.
Nancy

You should check out the rentals and then add utilities to come up with a reasonable estimate:
clasificadosonline.com
I think you can live quite comfortably on that salary.

Planning to move to Puerto Rico within the year and just wanted to know how the job market is in that country.
Can someone help?

Hi, First of all, Puerto Rico is not a country, it's part of the USA and work rules and laws mostly follow Federal guidelines ... the job market is not great but there are jobs depending on your skill and if you are bilingual.....Tourism,Hospitals, Pharmaceuticals,Hospitality are all hiring.  Go on Monster, Career Builders etc. and you will see what's out there.  Don't forget the south side of the island where there might be some opportunities in hospitality as well.

The job market in PR is terrible. It's much worse than in Canada or the US. I urge you not to move to PR if your finances require you to find a decent job once you arrive because the chances of that happening are infinitesimally small, especially (assuming) you are not Puerto Rican.

Thank you for clearing up that Puerto Rico is not a country, brain gap happened. I knew that they are apart of the US.
Also, thanks for letting me know that monster is one of the website that I could search for jobs.
I will be living with someone there just wanted to make sure that I also have income to contribute. Do you have to be able to speak Spanish to work there.

I appreciate the help!

Nomadlawyer,

Your saying that I shouldn't move there, just visit?

We're moving WHERE?

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

If you will be living with someone who will have solid employment, then by all means, move to PR. If you need to rely on your being able to find gainful employment (other than as a waitress in a tourist area) in order to survive, then definitely do not move to PR. We're talking about an island that the natives flee in order to find decent careers.

NomadLawyer

I will be living with someone that actually has his own business in Peurto Rico.
Thanks for the heads up

Such a Nay-sayer!!  For a person who has lived in as many places as he (or she) purports to have lived, you'd think they would be more open minded!!  yes, the job market is bad and yes, many natives flee but then you are fleeing Canada also and they seem to be fleeing something or someone!  the island is only 35 by 100 after all! it's bad but HEY, there's no snow and the beaches are all free and you can find many wonderful people here.... you can get a job just don't expect to be making what you are making in Canada....

You are very welcome. I don't mean to sound discouraging. Just be prepared for many, many frustrations when it comes to finding work. Good luck!

We're moving WHERE?

Yes, your correct. I am fleeing from the weather here.
Would love to be somewhere nice and warm but then making the kind of money I'm making now I can deal with the weather. On the other hand I have someone there that I have fallen for and that's the only reason to move there.

Congratulations on your new found love. Have you ever been to PR? If not you may want to check it out first. It's a whole different world living here than just coming for a vacation. I lived a lot of years in New Hampshire and Maine and I can say without a doubt I love the weather here. But chances are very good you won't make close to the same money here as you do now. But just analyze your trade-offs and see what you come up with.

Hello CStephens,
Like you, I moved here for love :) about 6 months ago.  Luckily, I visited the island numerous times before I met my BF, so i know first hand what PR is all about.  First, I'd suggest visiting the island before making such a big commitment to get a real feel for the area.  It's definitely not like Canada/US!  I'm still not fluent in Spanish yet, but it is very diificult for an English only person to find a job here regardless what degree you may posess.  Since I could not find anything, I decided to open a restaurant but that proved too difficult in itself & am now opening opening a small gift shop in a tourist area.  Yout best bet is to  become an entrepreneur or work from home .  I wish you the best of luck in your journey & if you have any more questions let me know.  BTW, what part of Toronto are you from?  I have some close friends who live in Scarborough.  I love Toronto & can't wait to go back!

Life, no matter where you live or what you do can be fullfilling, enjoyable and acceptable on your terms whatever they may be. You'll always have to adjust to differences in living conditions outside the US and other highly industrialized nations; however, the trade offs you might have to make are well worth the peace of mind you will get.
I lived in Japan for 4 yrs. Didn't speak a word when I moved there, but learned enough to get around. I also traveled extensively to Korea, Thailand, Taiwan and other NE Asian countries and didn't encounter many problems.
It's all in what you make it to be for yourself. I say: make the move and don't look back.
Everything will fall into place. Much luck to you.

DogloverfromVI

Thanks so much for the confidence, a few people on here had discouraged me and had me questioning if I should even be with this person but the way you put it sounds very realistic.

I've lived here in PR almost a year and I don't speak Spanish. My wife does and that helps some but I spend a large amount of time by myself going to different places for work or going to the store and I get along just fine. It's a little tricky sometimes but it always works out. Mostly when I need help is when going to the DMV or dealing with other essential services. I also recommend that you make the move here. You are young and should seize the opportunity for adventure. But before you do, arm yourself with as much knowledge and information as you can garner. It's a different society here. Some can adjust, some can't. I'd also recommend having a plan B in case it's not what you hoped it would be. In some cases love does not conquer all. It will however conquer most.

cstephens;
I think we as people tend to give our opinions based on our own personal experiences. To that end, I think the people here who have rendered their opinions just want you to beware and know the truth so you're not surprized and/or disappointed. Sometimes the culture shock of relocating to other places in the world can be overwhelming for some. I've seen that happen.
The big problem for most of us is: heart vs head.
I came to the Virgin Islands and had never been before. To me, that's the only way to fly. Otherwise, everything I decide to do in life will always be contradicted by some other rationale in my head and I lose out.
If it works out (which I hope it does for you) all the better. If it doesn't, then it's a life experience and you can always return. Simple. But, if you never try or experience it, you'll never know. That would be sad!

I can tell you this. From my visit to Puerto Rico last month, you will meet the most caring, warm helpful people I ever met and when you start making new friends, these wonderful folks will guide you along. That to me would be worth going in and of itself!

Abattig

Thanks for your comforting words, I have been there but not to stay but on the cruise ship that sails to South Caribbean.
My boyfriend has told me to visit before moving there, which is in the process now. I will visit in September for 1 week and then again in December. Why would you want to come back, it's so cold here. That's what I'm running from.

Abattig

I like your idea, which got me thinking.
I worked for a company as a contractor in Toronto from hom.
Today I found out that I could work with them as long as my address and banking information is in Canada. I can do this from anywhere in the world.
I will be working for them from home but stationed in Puerto Rico. I will still have my address and banking here and would have to return to do my taxes here. I can't stay out of the country for too long any ways.
Do you come back here every now and then?

I'm very happy you were able to find a job that allows you to stay at home & I'm glad to have helped.  So how long can you stay in Puerto Rico before you have to head back to Canada?

Well for me, I love Toronto because it is a culturally diverse city with much entertainment, restaurants, outdoor recreation, etc...plus, it is a lot closer to me than New York City.  With all that being said, I love visiting, but would never want to move there...the weather during winter is just completely horrendous!!!

Hi Abattig,

It has been a very long time since I last spoke with you.
How is everything?
I have made a visit to Puerto Rico July 5th - 14th. I really enjoyed myself with my man. He has finally asked me to move in with him at any time, I am preparing to move December of 2013 or sooner. I don't know how long I can stay out of the country before I lose my Canadian Citizenship. My daughter and I are planing for this move.
I am so happy also that I have found a friend to talk with on a regular basis, she's actually getting married next year. She always gives me good advise and she tells me to ask you questions because you know a lot. I don't want to lose my citizenship here but I don't want to have to leave every 6 months if I don't have to.
Any advise for me, I couldn't find anything on the Canadian Citizenship website.

Hello,

I just read the following article about living abroad.  It appears you won't lose your citizenship if you stay longer than 6 months, but may have to pay some sort of health tax every year. 

http://travelinsurancefile.com/headline … e-country/

Good to know and I was actually thinking of getting travel insurance so thanks for the website.