JOB ADVICE

Any good ideas? I will be moving to GuangZhou in a few months permanently to join my wife, a Chinese national. I was born in London, England and also have Canadian citizenship. I have two degrees, Business & Executive management. My career includes Investment Management London, Vice President Corporate and International Banking Toronto, Senior Vice President International & Multi-National Corporations Banking Chicago, New York & London, Senior Vice President Europe Real Estate Investment & Development,Managing Director Manufacturing London, Private Management Consulting, Corporate 'Turnarounds', and in the USA Sales Manager for Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley and Rolls Royce Motor Cars. And a few other things too. I love to work. BUT when I am living in GuangZhou I do not speak Mandarin or Cantonese. My wife does not speak English. (Hence we never argue!). So what on earth do I do for a job???? Full time, part time, consulting. I do NOT want to sit around all day drinking tea. So does anyone please have any ideas??? Apart from washing dishes I should add! Thank you for your thoughts.

Learn Mandarin then find a job

Donkey by name. Donkey by nature.

Why don't you go back with your wife and get a job? You are going to live in this country when Chinese queue up to emigrate. Are you KIDDING?

Hey Lorduk,

nice to see other Canadians are thinking of moving to GZ although I'll be gone by the time you arrive.

Just looking at your brief CV, I'm surprised you would need any help finding a decent job, although I think you should've put your accomplishments in bullet form so it could be easier to read.  hehe

Off the top of my head, I'd see if any of your past employers have offices or sister companies within China.  That resume screams opportunities in any "Multi-national" company. 

Also, it may be a great idea to head to one of those car companies and try to find a sales manager position there.  It may be lower than what you probably did in the past, but there are lot of really young, newly rich Chinese willing to spend their money on toys like those.  Hong kong for example have the most Rolls Royce's per capita than any other place in the world.  I see nothing but opportunity for you here.

This of course depends on your age too, so maybe you'd prefer something more office corporate. 

Anyways, you might want to post your CV in the classified section, but there's got to be a head-hunting type company here that can help...Heck, start one if there isn't!  haha

Take care man, happy hunting.

Derek

welcome to gz
easy to find a job but need some time good luck

Thank you very much. Even though I do not speak Mandarin or Cantonese???????
Best regards,
David.

Hello David,
There would be not a problem to find a good position in Guangzhou according to your impressive CV.You know blanking bussiness is growing fast in China,and a lot of multi-national companys have a branch here.
Mandarin or Cantonese maybe not a big deal.There are some German and philippine work in our company.
Wish you have a nice life in Guangzhou!
Kevin

Very good Kevin thank you very much.
Best regards,
David.

hello David did you work in investment management industry? what areas were your concerns? I'm a consultant specializing in the market research and investment consulting around food and pharma and biotech industries. any ideas to talk and exchange?

Regards,
Andrew

Some foreigners can hardly speak mandarin or cantonese, but they still manage to work in Guangzhou. If you can't find an ideal job at the moment, you can teach English.