Jobs | Is American Respiratory Therapist license accepted in Spain?

Hello,

I am an NBRC registered RRT (Respiratory Therapist). I am planning to relocate to Barcelona, Spain and wanted to know my professional options there.
My questions are:
1. Is there a Respiratory Therapist field in Spain?
2. Will my american RRT license be honored there?
3. What is the salary range for RRT professional in Spain like?

Thanks to all!

Hello,

I am also a RRT relocating to Barcelona. I have exchanged many emails with the NBRC/AARC and the European Society. The Respiratory title doesn't really exist in Spain.

The following contacts were helpful and answered many of my questions:

http://dev.ersnet.org/10-overview.htm
European Respiratory Society

Also AARC international.

good luck to you

Hello:
In Spain the RTŽs are called respiratory physiotherapists. ItŽs a little different than in the US. I am a Canadian nurse and I lived in Hawaii working as a nurse for 6 years before I came here. None of the university degrees that are done outside of Europe are equivalent Europe. As a Canadian, when I moved to the US, all I had to do was write the NCLEX (the nursing exam) and I was able to practice.
For Spain, you need to homologate your title. You need to go to the government page of the ministry of education in Spain.
There is a list of all the things you need to do on that page. But basically you need to send your transcripts, an official copy of your university degree, a paragraph describing the content of every class you ever studied and your resume (in English and in Spanish). Furthermore, the Spanish translation has to be done by an official government approved translator. The transcipts and the university degree first have to be sent to the ministry of education in United States, then the Spanish embassy in the United States to be stamped before you send them to Madrid.
I have been waiting 20 months for my homologation and I still cannot practice nursing in Spain. The whole process can take up to 1-2 years.
Currently I am teaching English until I get my homologation. One of my students is an RT who specializes in COPD. I am not sure what her pay is, but I think it is comparable to nurses.
Please let me know if you need more information.
Good luck.