How do i go about becoming a resident in China

Hi, im a Canadian citizen and soon will marry in China and plan to reside in China, i spoke with the chinese embassy in Canada but dont fully understand all i need to do to become a permanent resident, any information would be greatful.
Thank you.
Julien

Hi Julien,

Wish I could help.  Myself, I will try to get a driver's license (have a US and German license) in the coming days.  Just, I have no clue where to start.
I have also thought of these permanent resident options.  But anything more than 6 months seems to bring a lot of hassle with it. 
As far as I could figure out, you would need a job here.  A contract with a company.  This company also needs to do some paperwork and pay some cash for your stay in China.  This company would have to state why they need a foreigner if there are so many Chinese.  So why you  :)

You would need a health examination.  Completely in Chinese.  So either you do it in China fairly quick and easy.  Or you have to make an official translation and would also need to have the translation and the examination certified by specific doctors.

I've heard the easiest thing is to first go for a month to China on a normal Visa.  Do the necessary stuff and deal directly with the needs.  Then, once you're back in Canada you go ahead and get your permanent Visa. 

That is what I know, but I'm sure there is more and of course, what I say is not instantly a fact.  ;)

Take care
Pablo