Bureau of Immigration to upgrade the e-gates at international airports

Anyone have any more information / opinions re this?

BI to upgrade e-gates for faster, label-free processing

Philstar.com  February 8, 2024 https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2024/02/08/2331882/bi-upgrade-e-gates-faster-label-free-processing

BI to upgrade e-gates for faster, label-free processing

e-gates_2024-02-08_14-13-43.jpg

Photo shows immigration electronic gates at the NAIA arrival area

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) is set to upgrade the electronic gates (e-gates) at the country's international airports for a smoother and faster arrival experience.

Immigration Commissioner Norman Tansingco said Thursday that travelers can expect the removal of boarding pass scans at the e-gates, reducing processing time for arriving passengers.

The bureau is currently integrating airline data with the e-gates to lessen the number of steps required for passengers.

BI noted that some passengers encounter issues using the e-gates when their flight record is not yet integrated with the system. This results in passengers needing to transfer to regular counters for manual processing.

Tansingco added that e-gates are also being upgraded to be label-free.

“Instead of printing a sticker to be attached on the passport, passengers will receive an email acknowledging their arrival. This is the best practice that we are emulating from other countries,” he said.

According to Tansingco, the bureau has initiated the procurement of additional e-gates, aiming to replace 25% of manual operations at the Philippines' major international airport. — Gaea Katreena Cabico

`

@Col Rootentoot

But can they get Driver's Licenses made? 1f923.svg

@Col Rootentoot    But can they get Driver's Licenses made? 1f923.svg-@Larry Fisher

Yes, good question Larry.

And the Philippines really doesn't want to make it complicated for tourism

Surely this hardware upgrade will involve considerable back-end development?

Thinking no one has any real idea of how it will work out for all parties.

Developers & government? Not a chance.

Works great. Fully implemented in Singapore already. You do your e-travel ahead and when you get to the arrival area and scan, it matches your passport to the record in the database and you go through. Unless you goof up like I did and leave the last letter off girlfriend's passport number when doing the e-travel, and she gets pulled out of the line, haha.  😂

@Larry Fisher or plates.  I heard they didn't have the cards for drivers licenses but I went to San Fernando Pampanga in December 2023 and they issued me a license not a paper.

@pnwcyclistUnless you goof up like I did and leave the last letter off girlfriend's passport number when doing the e-travel, and she gets pulled out of the line, haha.  😂

I assume your girlfriend has your same sense of humor and was able to laugh when she got pulled out of the line hahaha😂😂😂Good for her to be able to laugh rather than accuse you of incompetence which would be a normal GF reaction lol.

Haha right.. well she was a little surprised/irritated but it didn't last too long.. she's generally a trooper.

Used the egate system in Mexico this week.  It was so easy, I had to ask if there was something else I should do.  Ever since 911, travel has been such a pain that I don't travel often.  Now it seems things are getting better.   Even the tsa is half decent.   I suppose there's not much left to do since they get to observe your junk beneath your clothes.

`

Travel Advisory today on the Philippine Airlines website

https://www.facebook.com/PhilippineAirlines/

Travel Advisory (Ten Hours Ago)

Enhancements on the Philippine Travel Information System (eTravel)

The Philippines' Bureau of Customs (PH BOC) Baggage Declaration Form and the Customs Currency Declaration Form are now integrated in the eTravel System together with the Bureau of Quarantine's Health Declaration Form and the Bureau of Immigration's Departure and Arrival Cards.

This move is in line with the government's digitalization efforts to consolidate all Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) forms in one electronic platform.

All passengers departing from the Philippines (International Departures) and Filipino travelers arriving in the country (PH) must register on the E-Travel portal before their flights.

FOR ARRIVING PASSENGERS:

Register within seventy-two (72) hours prior to your scheduled time of arrival in the Philippines.

FOR DEPARTING PASSENGERS (Filipino Passengers only):

Register within seventy-two (72) hours prior to your scheduled time of departure from the Philippines.

For more information, please visit: etravel.gov.ph

--

Website Comments:

Author

Ryan Reyes

Real talk. They dont even ask you for it. I went to the side to fill this up because i had forgotten to do the e-travel online. Upon meeting the immigration agent they asked nothing about it. Wasted my time going out of the line to fill it up on the side... Only in da Peeleepeens

1 hour

Author

Philippine Airlines

Hi Ryan. Thank you for sharing your experience. Please note that while Immigration officers have access to the e-Travel system, they may not always ask for it outright. However, if you haven't completed it, you may be asked to do so.

45 minutes

`

I wonder if there is any consideration for the folks who are digitally impaired.  Few and far between these days I suppose.  Or if you can't use a Smartphone you just shouldn't travel.

I wonder if there is any consideration for the folks who are digitally impaired.  Few and far between these days I suppose.  Or if you can't use a Smartphone you just shouldn't travel.

-@ERL369

Nonsense