New Meralco Bill

My latest bill was P11,764 for 888 kwh (P13.25 kwh)

Going back as far as I could:

May 13, 2021 P8993 for 933 kwh (P9.64 kwh)

If I was able to go back farther it would have been more drastic.

Just got mine. 9980.19p for 948kwh or 10.527 per kwh.

Ours is Cebeco

We're you running A/C all the time for that bill? How many A/C? What big appliances were you using?

Yes, such is life Bob. Luelco here are currently 12.6P per Kwh, not bad compared to 18/19 after the war in Ukraine started and sanctions/blockades pushed fuel prices through the roof, a;; countries, a great time to invest in a decent solar system as the fools in the power companies here are blind to where the world is heading and offer no incentives, only difficulties.

Our bill here Bob as you have read over the years was 9 to 11K plus per month now zilch,,,,, golly I lie it was 2.8 pesos last month and that was the meter charge and the laugh was when Ben went to pay, the teller said to him "you used no power sir I will get the manager" Then when he came out (I did warn Ben this would happen} and it was the veritable Spanish inquisition, we are solar and self sufficient sir. Why aren't you net metered sir, your requirements and fees to accomplish that would have cost us an extra P 140/150K. We did the costings and consulted your engineer and decided to spend an extra 360K on extra batteries as it makes more sense than giving you 4Kwh but you will only give us back 1Kwh, the manager continued with his diatribe and in the end Ben said to him "hey I came into pay my bill, I have other things to do" and the manager stormed off.

3 pesos later and keep the change.

Things have changed and well planned, we run the master B/R A/C 24/7, the office A/C at least 12 hours a day as well as the rest of the sh1t and the solar monitoring system tells us that we are saving 480 to 520 per day based on the 12.6Kwh charge. So 15K per month.

I have been pushing and learning the system and have no worries now when the extensions are finished to run the big A/C units in the living areas through the day and will create a comfortable living area and perceived savings (my math Bob) some 650 to 750P per day, perhaps more as at current usage the panels are putting in more power than we can consume, to date the invertors throttle back the input by 1 pm dropping from 7 to 9 Kwh back to 2.3/5Kwh because the system is fully charged.

Stuff the power companies that are blind to the inevitable, a 1.4M investment ROI will be 6, max 7 years and the bonus? No bl@@dy black outs.

Sorry for yet another rant, consider solar if you have the Pesos.

Cheers, Steve.

We're you running A/C all the time for that bill? How many A/C? What big appliances were you using?

-@Jackson4

Bedroom AC is 3/4hp inverter type window AC, Runs 20/24 per day roughly. But set on eco to turn off at 22c

Living room /main room AC is 1HP, dual inverter split type, runs from 4am to about 9:30pm

Additional old 3/4 inefficient AC in dining area to cool main and dining area on hotest days runs maybe 4 hrs max 5-8 days per month?

Two eco friendly stand up refrigerator freezers and small electronics. That about it really. In a very inefficient cement home.

Jackson4 asked. . . .We're you running A/C all the time for that bill? How many A/C? What big appliances were you using?

(1) Inverter1 1/2 HP aircon 24/7

(2) Inverter refrigerator

(3) Freezer (non inverter)

(4) Two flat screen TV's

(5) Kitchen appliances: Toaster, Microwave, Coffee Maker

(6) Bathroom Water Heater

(7) Washing Machine (Inverter)

(8) Numerous Fans

Interesting Comment Larry "inefficient cement home" I'm a great believer of thermal energy storage/dissipation.

Studied the pros and cons for years, mud brick. concrete or simple timber steel construction, plenty of other alternatives.

One of the reasons why I can't understand Filipino roof designs and worse colour selection, always dark to attract the heat. As for masonry walls here they are needed for earthquakes etc. but the bonus is the thermal mass, Shade the external walls and gain an ambient temperature internally, shade the outside wall, run the A/C through the day for comfort and the energy is stored in the mass to radiate stored energy and reducing running, power costs. I see this here and Australia, bigger eaves, shading, house orientation as well as decent ceiling insulation. very important and not the crap they want to sell you here. R3 to R4 and little less.

Some months ago we would turn off the A/C in the master B/R set at 26/27 and 4/5 hours later I could go in there and was 2/3/4 deg cooler than the rest of the house, touch the concrete walls and there is the answer, overnight the walls were cooled.

Yet another rave.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

Ahh but you don't have the leaky arse windows we have! or the massive gap under the doors! lol. I understand the cement cooling. But it's the draft of outside hot air blasting through the house, hold on with both hands, leaky ass windows. 1f602.svg

LEYECO V is P13.7 per kwh

@bigpearl
Ahh but you don't have the leaky arse windows we have! or the massive gap under the doors! lol. I understand the cement cooling. But it's the draft of outside hot air blasting through the house, hold on with both hands, leaky ass windows. 1f602.svg-@Larry Fisher

I'm sure Larry I mentioned before in another post a long time ago that you can purchase good window and door seals online, Shopee or Lazada, perhaps it was someone else?

I am back sitting in our office with 4Ft by 6Ft of Jealousy windows fully opened viewing the ocean, the door to the hallway and laundry fully open and a 1 HP A/C running full tilt, the bedroom A/C running 24/7 and I have no chance to use the solar power generated. 1Pm fully charged and dropped back from 7.5Kwh to 2.5Kwh., I care little the air leaks though try to minimize with the relatively fully sealed windows but the best thing we did was R3 insulation batts, Australia was R3.5 batts. The R3 batts were imported from Malaysia to the seller near Subic Bay. dropped the temp 2 to 4C in the house.

I am sitting here Larry with the windows fully open in the office having a smoke and the gauge tells me it's 24C in here and the A/C is set at 25C.

If we were on the grid I/we wouldn't be abusing power that we at the moment can't harness, time will tell. Better than the grid but a large investment.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

This was a great read Steve.  I am planning to go solar when I move here especially with the high rates.  Great to see the numbers to justify it.  I am wondering, do you have generator for backup if there are problems with the solar?

Thanks

Donald

BTW, Currently in Alcoy for a month then checking out Negros... No not Dumaguette, I like a more rural provincial setting.

@AlbertaDonuts

Hope you are enjoying Visayas mate.

Yes we have a 5.5KW generator but that was purchased some years ago after a typhoon and no power and was indispensable through our constructions here as the grid drops out once/twice a week and kept the boys working and the house running, since solar? Ben has advertised the generator for sale and I care little if it sells or stays here as a final back up. We are grid tied but turned off so if the solar sh1ts itself we can switch over to the grid and utilize their power as running a generator is twice or more the cost of Luelco.

Currently we are consuming on average 480/520 pesos a day by Luelcos Kwh price and I leave the office windows open while the A/C is running 12 hours a day in the office and master B/R 24/7 and even then the solar input is throttled back from 7/8Kwh to 2.5/3Kwh by 12/1PM so not yet using the system to its full capability, as said I'm sure we can achieve 45 to 50+Kwh per day out of the plant, or say P18 to 20K per month.

All that aside how long are you here for and what are your travel plans? How are you finding the heat and humidity after the cold of home? If you ever find your way up to La Union let us know and you will be welcome.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

I am so happy to be away from the cold and snow in Canada.  I love the heat and humidity.  I will admit, if I am not in the water I prefer it to max out at 28 and shade.  If I am by a pool or beach... sunny and 32 feels pretty good.

I will respond in a private message.

Cheers,

Donald