Lawlessness and Anarchy

All the news I am hearing about Ecuador makes me skittish to move there.   The country does not seem stable and the drug cartels are calling the shots.  It sounds risky to go there now.

I live in southern Ecuador and all is peaceful.

Several regions are experiencing an increase in violence, most of it related to organized crime. The medium and smaller cities, especially in the higher altitudes, are mostly crime free. In any case, tourists and foreign

residents have not been, with a handful of exceptions, the victims of crime. In fact, I would say Ecuador is

the safest place to live in Latin America.

I  live in Baltimore, Maryland.  It is well known for crime and moving to Ecuador I hope would be safer than living here. Most of the violence here is because of drug gangs.

@Ronald Meyer

Hello Ronald Meyer,

Are you looking forward to moving to Ecuador anytime soon ?

What would you like to know from members ?

Regards

Bhavna

Okay, so there was a murder of an exgtranjera maybe 6 months ago, with her father and spouse attacked also in the home, but these people were the only extranjero family living in a very small Ecuadorian community, far from amenities such as shopping centre, etc.  It was very unfortunate as they have children.

And the USA you consider more stable in 2024?  Why?

USA is the largest consumer of illegal drugs in the world and has more random drug related violence then just about anywhere.  A relative of mine was just shot in Colorado last week, bystander of a robbery.  Should my family move from Colorado because of this?

I find it ironic and hypocritical that my family is questioning so heavily my decision to move from the USA.  Seriously, the US is a cesspool of its own creation and its citizens still think its the greatest place in the world.  I'm out, soon as possible.