Outdoor AC Compressors and Lizards

Hi All

Have anyone firstly experienced lizards crawling into the compressors and find a way to the pc board because its hot and they crawl in there and cause a short circuit, pc board gone. Today is my 3rd pc board lost, getting annoyed and frustrated.

Has anyone perhaps found a solution to prevent lizards crawling into the compressors? I have tried some spray but when we have rain which at the moment is every day, there is no point.

In earlier research, I found this to be a common problem with inverter A/C units.  Non-inverter aircons, apparently, do not have this problem.

Stef

In earlier research, I found this to be a common problem with inverter A/C units.  Non-inverter aircons, apparently, do not have this problem.
Stef

-@NN3M/DU3

We have several inverter AC units and this never in 7 years has happened to us in Dumaguete or siquijor. Our brands are Panasonic and Citi Hardware. Looking at these units as best I can, I do not see an easy path to the PC boards as they seem to have their own enclosures protected from the elements.

I have heard its common, I know of two instances of this exact thing. Proposal would be to add a screen to prevent them getting in

@aklokow

What brand of air conditioner do you have? I have 4 inverter units here and never had a problem.

I installed all my units myself and bought or made brackets to hang the the outside condenser units on the wall. How are are yours mounted?

Agree with danfinn that most invertor A/C's control boards are well sealed these days, all our LG units are and I had a look at one some months ago, took the plastic cover off the control box and it was spotless not even an ant. That one is a little over 4 years old.

Older Fujitsu models we had in Oz suffered green tree frogs and geckos, can get expensive and time without A/C.

Perhaps manufactures learnt from many complaint?

Cheers, Steve.

@aklokow
What brand of air conditioner do you have? I have 4 inverter units here and never had a problem.

I installed all my units myself and bought or made brackets to hang the the outside condenser units on the wall. How are are yours mounted?

-@Moon Dog

Also how old are the units? For us all outdoor units are wall mounted, 2 under the eaves and 2 about 2 ft off the ground, point is we have plenty of geckos and they all hang around on the walls and soffits, they get into the condenser housing but not the electronics.

Cheers, Steve,

on a related note, I am getting ready to buy my split unit AC units. Contractor recommends AUX or Haier, but I have seen some good Samsung units too. I am interested in reliability and features such as remote operation, filtration etc

They stopped recommending Daikin but could be because of a few issues seen, but sample size is insignificant.

I have a 1.5 hp LG dual convertor unit on the ground floor that has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. I have 2 Samsung units and a Boston Bay unit on the upstairs bedrooms and haven't had any problems. I installed a Boston Bay unit on my father in law's bungalow 2 years ago and there have been problems with that one. The pre-charge was insufficient causing the evaporator coil to freeze up. I had to order a tank of R401a to bring the pressure up where it belongs.

A couple things I've learned. Boston Bay does not pressurize the evaporator coil with nitrogen. When I installed the Boston Bay unit on our smallest bedroom I found the caps on the evaporator coil were finger tight so I figured the nitrogen had leaked out. When installing the Boston Bay unit on my father in law's bungalow the evaporator coil was not pressurized on that unit either. If the lizards have access to Boston Bay electronics it is probably due to the poor construction of the unit.

Another issue is the installation methods in the Philippines. I bought the units from SM Mall and Citi Hardware. Both offer installation. I asked about evacuating the units prior to releasing the refrigerant. Both said they do not use vacuum pumps so I said no thanks to their installation. I was warned that it would void the warranty if I did the installation. I told them if they did the installation I would need the warranty.

@Filamretire I've never heard of AUX and Haier products are mediocre at best. I just had to replace the control board on my wife's 1 year old Haier washing machine.

LG and Samsung are your best bang for the buck. Stay away from Boston Bay for reasons I mentioned in my above post but also because the condenser cabinet is metal which is not good in the Philippines. The filters on the inside unit of the Boston Bay leave something to be desired also. My LG and Samsung units have the filters on top that you just lift off. I spray them off in the shower with the bidet sprayer. The Boston Bay screens are inside and a little tricky to get back in place. It isn't a problem for me but my father in law or someone tried to clean the filters on his Boston Bay unit and they totally destroyed one filter since it wasn't going in properly so they just pushed harder.

@Moon Dog

4 LG dual invertor units so far, the 2.5HP unit was installed 4 and a half years, 3 x 1HP for 3 and 4 years and no problems though I think the one in the master B/R could be losing gas as we used to run it @ 27C but over the last few months down to 25C and I notice the insulated connecting lines are now condensing and dripping water on the ground, any thoughts Moon Dog?

As for filters on the indoor units they require regular cleaning depending on use time, also regular cleaning by professionals, I used to do it but bad knees and lazy old person these days we just get the guys to come and if they do 3/4 units they charge P900 each, They are more thorough than I ever was and happy here, 2/3 times a year we have them serviced, the filters are fine but the blower, fan, evaporator and condenser still build up with dust and reduce efficiency so need cleaning.

To the OP/readers, purchase reputable brands and shouldn't be a problem with electronics invasions.

Cheers, Steve.

I have a Kolin, it has been running 24/7 for five years. Every three months I have it serviced (serviced: removed and the dust & dirt hosed off.)

P800 & a P200 tip.

@bigpearl

It does sound like a restricted air flow but I would check the pressure. You can buy a manifold gauge set on Lazada for P500 plus shipping. You will also need a 5/16" to 1/4" adapter but it may be included. Mini split connection ports are 5/16" and the typical manifold gauge set has 1/4" connectors. If your filters are clean and the fins on the coil are clean make sure the guys cleaning the unit haven't flattened the fins.

Adjusting the charge on a mini split is not an exact science using pressure. There is usually a connection port on the low pressure line only so you never know the pressure on the high side. The only way to get the charge exact is to evacuate the system and weigh in a fresh charge using the info on the data plate. From experience, I know that the systems I have are happy at around 140-150 psi after they have ran a while and the outside temperature is around 85 F. The inverter units vary the compressor speed so the pressure wanders a bit. You have to watch it for a while and get an average. If you're watching a bedroom unit and someone opens the bedroom door you will soon see a pressure change. If the charge gets too low your inside unit with ice up.

My units seem to stay fairly clean. I use a spray bottle of water and a soft tooth brush to clean the inside coil and a water hose on the outside. The fan wheel on the unit I have on the ground floor gets covered in dust. I've removed it for cleaning twice so far. It is not that easy to do and the thing is fragile as glass so I have to be very careful. It is a squirrel cage type fan that is about 6" in diameter and almost 30" long.

Thanks Moon Dog for the info but I'm not a refrigeration engineer nor are the dudes cleaning. Only one unit the high and low insulated lines from the head to the master have condensation forming on the outside of the insulation, enough to be dripping on the concrete. Ben called the service centre a week ago and they said they would come but nothing,,,,, sound familiar?

Cheers, Steve.

@Moon Dog

We have all carrier units, 2 x 1.5 HP and 3 x 1 HP. It was installed during the Covid period so we could not be here, whether it was done correctly or not I would not know.

We have the compressors on the outside wall about 2 meters from ground level and as I mentioned 3rd pc board blown, lucky twice it could be repaired at minimal cost but once had to buy a new one which was 14 K.

Last question on this, I have read that we could use Silicon sealant on the PCB boards, it does not conduct electricity and will prevent any crawling animal create a short on the board. As long as it is neutral silicon sealant without Acetic acid.

Anyone have any experience with this method?

@aklokow As long as not acid silicone sealant will be fine. Another possibility is hot melt adhesive, often used in SMPS assemblies.

@aklokow

Thanks for the heads up with Carrier, seems given the age (young) of your units seems that company hasn't learnt the traps. Had the same problem with Fujitsu units in Oz, 15 years ago always the mother board and extremely difficult to seal with fly wire etc. after 2 motherboards and on the recommendation of my installer was to replace with the new model as the electronics are well sealed against pests, 6 years later no problems same as the LG units here in PH. all the electronics are sealed.

I suppose you could put a large fly wire cage mounted to the wall around the unit but that would look nasty.

I don't see tree frogs here only small geckos and the larger Tokays.

Cheers, Steve.

It seems some members have had various problems with their air conditioners. Maybe consideration should be given to:

(1) Make and model

(2) Geographical environment

(3) Placement (location) of unit

(4) MOV's for surge protection on the AC mains

Sharing is caring Bob.

Definitely make and model and from the input given there are certain makes to steer clear of.

The location of the units it a Biggy, here 2 units facing the ocean are corroding aluminum and cases rusting but 2 on the other side of the house no problems, geckos/frogs and bugs the positive brands have been posted.

Surge protection from my experience doesn't do what it's wrapped up to be, 65" Samsung tv and a very expensive Polk sound system all plugged into surge guards, a close lightening strike took them out yet the surge protection says it is still working, Australian surge protectors and not Chinese.

No surge protectors on any of the A/C units only electronics and every thing else works fine after the close lightning strike, many in fact. Laptops etc. not affected.

All the fun of the fair. The Samsung tv we were advised by the authorized Samsung technicians that we need to replace the screen @ P32K, no thanks and no charge, Ben found what appear to be decent electronics technicians locally, no fix no pay but if we fix both it will be P6,500. See you next week then.

A/C units? be prepared to replace every 5 to 10 years, such is life.

Cheers, Steve.     

Let me reiterate about MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors),  it is whole house protection of spikes from the loss of power and power surges when electric is restored or lightning. MOVS's should be install at the main AC entrance to your house and are expensive.

Power strips with MOV's with blinking lights can fail after a single incurrence and the power strip can still be working after failure, but your future protection is gone.

Maybe the circuit board failures are from power line surges or spikes not vermin.

@Enzyte Bob

Hi Bob thanks for the input, regarding MOV's good idea also a AVR will do the job of keeping the voltage stable without surges and give protection.

Regarding the electronic boards on the AC not the power but it is the lizards or gecko's as everytime we have a failure the poor little guy is there roasted.

@Enzyte Bob
Hi Bob thanks for the input, regarding MOV's good idea also a AVR will do the job of keeping the voltage stable without surges and give protection.

Regarding the electronic boards on the AC not the power but it is the lizards or gecko's as everytime we have a failure the poor little guy is there roasted.

-@aklokow

A good source of protein.

@Enzyte BobHi Bob thanks for the input, regarding MOV's good idea also a AVR will do the job of keeping the voltage stable without surges and give protection.Regarding the electronic boards on the AC not the power but it is the lizards or gecko's as everytime we have a failure the poor little guy is there roasted.        -@aklokow
******************A good source of protein.

-@Enzyte Bob

"What Does Lizard Taste Like? Taste and Palatability Explaine

Have you ever wondered what lizard tastes like?

It's not a common question, but if you're curious about exotic foods, it's worth exploring.

Lizards are eaten in many parts of the world, especially in Asia, Africa, and South America.

They are a good source of protein and are said to have medicinal properties.

But what does lizard taste like, and is it worth trying?

Lizards generally taste like what they have been eating. If they have been feeding on insects, they will have a more savory flavor, while if they have been eating fruits and vegetables, they will tend to be sweeter. Some people compare the taste of lizard to chicken or fish. However, lizards are grainy and tougher than chicken and may require a longer cook time."

Never eaten lizard myself Dan but have had a go at snake meat, prefer rib eye. Aboriginal people in Australia have been eating goannas and dragon lizards for over 60,000 years and still going strong. Lucky country or simply something to eat?

Cheers, Steve.

Given that Lizards and birds have common ancestry as in dinosaurs, it is not surprising that they would have similar taste; Florida alligator is said to taste like chicken. I have had rattlesnake meat as sold in cans like tuna fish. It is smoked and quite good and taste mainly like "smoke" like anything else that is smoked. There is a hint of chicken in the taste. Well of course,,, reptiles and birds taste the same.

Let me reiterate about MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors),  it is whole house protection of spikes from the loss of power and power surges when electric is restored or lightning. MOVS's should be install at the main AC entrance to your house and are expensive.
Power strips with MOV's with blinking lights can fail after a single incurrence and the power strip can still be working after failure, but your future protection is gone.
Maybe the circuit board failures are from power line surges or spikes not vermin.

-@Enzyte Bob

In my previous life as an electrical engineer specializing in power systems and also cause and origin of building fires I am very familiar with the pro's and cons of MOVs. One thing to watch out for is to know that MOVs have a max energy rating in joules. If a lightning strike is too close by or the surge is caused by a power cross you can (will) exceed the energy rating. When that happens you have a 5-10 ohm resistor between mains and ground which causes fires. Later surge protector designs put a fuse in series (UL1488 I believe) but that would be western design only and too expensive for Chinese design.  MOVs do the job when sized properly but I think the more expensive gas discharge devices are better. I remember inspecting many residential fires that were started by blown MOVs in surge suppressor devices.

Wild ducks (woodies) don't taste like chicken but I suppose if smoked to death they all taste the same, no different to the canned mushrooms we used to buy, have to wash the sh1t out of them to get rid of the factory flavour, Ben has found a good mushroom supplier thank God for fresh mushies.

Back to A/C's get some Toko's as I see them chasing and eating the smaller geckos/bugs and too big to get into the unit, great bark as well, like bird song. a delicacy in many countries but pets here.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinnsaid. . . .Given that Lizards and birds have common ancestry as in dinosaurs, it is not surprising that they would have similar taste

Yup some old fallacy . . . .The lineage of Chickens and Dinosaurs are completely different. Dinosaurs went extinct 65 millions ago. Chickens were members of the avian family and evolved from wild jungle fowl 10,000 years ago.

Yup everytime I eat at Jollybees, I always order the supersized DinoBurger.

danfinnsaid. . . .Given that Lizards and birds have common ancestry as in dinosaurs, it is not surprising that they would have similar taste
Yup some old fallacy . . . .The lineage of Chickens and Dinosaurs are completely different. Dinosaurs went extinct 65 millions ago. Chickens were members of the avian family and evolved from wild jungle fowl 10,000 years ago.
Yup everytime I eat at Jollybees, I always order the supersized DinoBurger.

-@Enzyte Bob

Scientific American and a host of other publications disagrees. From Scientific American https colon slash slash/wwwdot,cientificamerican.com/article/how-dinosaurs-shrank-and-became-birds/

"Modern birds descended from a group of two-legged dinosaurs known as theropods, whose members include the towering Tyrannosaurus rex and the smaller velociraptors. The theropods most closely related to avians generally weighed between 100 and 500 pounds — giants compared to most modern birds — and they had large snouts, big teeth, and not much between the ears. A velociraptor, for example, had a skull like a coyote's and a brain roughly the size of a pigeon's."

Glad I don't eat meat.

My Dr. Scholl's  inserts take like Chicken also.

My Dr. Scholl's  inserts take like Chicken also.

-@Enzyte Bob

Please explain the circumstances surrounding how you made this discovery.  Was Jollibee closed?  Financial hardships?

Yup some old fallacy . . . .The lineage of Chickens and Dinosaurs are completely different. Dinosaurs went extinct 65 millions ago. Chickens were members of the avian family and evolved from wild jungle fowl 10,000 years ago.Yup everytime I eat at Jollybees, I always order the supersized DinoBurger.        -@Enzyte Bob.

Scientific American and a host of other publications disagrees. From Scientific American https colon slash slash/wwwdot,cientificamerican.com/article/how-dinosaurs-shrank-and-became-birds/    -@danfinn

Scientific American is one source, many credible sources disagree.

There is no evolution process when Dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago.

Humans and Fruit Flies share 50% of the same DNA.

danfinn said. . . .Given that Lizards and birds have common ancestry as in dinosaurs, it is not surprising that they would have similar taste

Please explain how a Dinosaur would taste like Chicken. . . maybe Colonel Sanders secret receipt of herbs & spices?

I've eaten gator tail at the wild game club meetings I used to attend. Tastes a lot like shrimp.

I've eaten gator tail at the wild game club meetings I used to attend. Tastes a lot like shrimp.

-@Moon Dog

Florida In they actually raise commercially and sell the meat. I am going by what people say. Never ate it myself although wild gator would have more of a fish diet than farm raised gator that probably eats...chicken?

Moon Dog commented. . . . I've eaten gator tail at the wild game club meetings I used to attend. Tastes a lot like shrimp.   

About 50 years ago Monk Fish  became the fad because it taste liked Lobster.  It became popular in supermarkets and my first wife purchased it. When broiled, it the actually had the taste and texture, almost like Lobster.

Monk Fish went the way of mood rings, cabbage patch dolls, pet rocks and beanie babies. Someday it be will rediscovered and will become a fad again. At one time Lobster was a lowly meal and served to prisoners being a cheap way of feeding them.

Presently  in the states there is artificial crab meat made from fish, it is formulated to that shape and coloring.

Wait, what is this thread about?

There is a You Tube video on this and the guy uses a strip of regular window screen material. He paints it white so the UV does not tear it up, then he undid a couple of screws to free the straps and used adhesive to hold it in place and then re-fixed the straps. So he has the screen on top and down the sides, uses the adhesive to keep it in place, fixes the straps back on and uses tape at the bottom of the unit to hold that part in place.