Adapting to the pace of life in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

When you move to Ecuador, you may find that the pace of life is different from what you're used to. Shop opening times, working hours, sleep cycles and variations in sunlight can all have an effect on your life in Ecuador as an expat and require time to adapt. This transition can be a source of surprises, adjustments and sometimes even frustration for those trying to find their balance in this new environment.

Here are a few questions to help you better understand how you manage your days in Ecuador :

How have you managed to harmonise your own pace of life with the pace of life in Ecuador?

Have you felt a change in your biological rhythm (diet, sleep, energy, etc.)? How can you minimise the effects on your well-being and adapt to changes in your circadian rhythm?

How have you adjusted your sleeping habits to optimise your energy and concentration in a different environment?

Shopping, meal and activity times can differ from one culture to another. How do you manage to reconcile your personal habits with those of life in Ecuador? What are the benefits and challenges of these adjustments?

How do different working hours affect your productivity and quality of life? What have you done to maintain a work-life balance despite these changes?

Please feel free to share your experiences and advice on this topic.
Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

El Centro de Quito, the historical district, mostly shuts down

around dusk .. so those of us who live in the area need

to plan around that fact. Get your pharmacy meds and

other shopping done by around 6 p.m. unless you're willing

to travel across town to Mariscal or near MegaMaxi 6

for after-dark tasks.

It can be useful to know that several restaurants stay open

till 9 or 10 p.m. in El Centro, three of which are located on or

near Calle García Moreno and Plaza Grande. My favorite

is inside Patio Andaluz, an upscale hotel that has a 'sala'

or lobby of great size and antique charm.

We also keep track of protests that pop up from time

to time near the Carondelet Palace and other government

buildings -- not to participate, but to avoid the nearby

streets which are often blocked off by police during the

manifestaciones.

I find it's useful to shop weekly at the upscale MegaMaxi 6 on

Seis de Diciembre across town. That's because certain

delicacies such as smoked salmon and apple sauce

(yes, apple sauce) can be impossible to find in the smaller

mercados of El Centro Histórico.

cccmedia

@Cheryl

How have you managed to harmonize your own pace of life with the pace of life in Ecuador?

I've become a 'get everything done before dark' kinda person.  Makes evenings/nights a lot more relaxing.

Have you felt a change in your biological rhythm (diet, sleep, energy, etc.)? How can you minimise the effects on your well-being and adapt to changes in your circadian rhythm?

Circadian rhythm unaffected, but energy levels seem lower, probably due to coping with the demands of a high altitude.  I compensate with cardio workouts (walking isn't sufficient).

How have you adjusted your sleeping habits to optimize your energy and concentration in a different environment?

Not at all, although I probably should LOL

Shopping, meal and activity times can differ from one culture to another. How do you manage to reconcile your personal habits with those of life in Ecuador? What are the benefits and challenges of these adjustments?

I've never been a 'meal planner', and it seems to work well here.  Many buy only for the day's food.  Each day brings the question, 'what's for lunch/dinner', and options are wide.  We often order food delivered, and with delivery fee averaging $2-3 and the food itself well priced, it's a bargain and a convenience.  he only real challenge is when I want a particular food and the owner has decided to close that day/week. 

How do different working hours affect your productivity and quality of life? What have you done to maintain a work-life balance despite these changes?

I am retired, so my life isn't (thankfully) affected by a 9-5 any more 1f601.svg

💜🇨🇦🍁 👉🏼 💜🌺🇪🇨

“Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes.” (Jimmy Buffet)... When you move to Latin America, leave your ‘north of the border' attitudes behind;

Mark Twain:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

---

“Cambios de latitudes, cambios de actitudes”. (Jimmy Buffet)... Cuando se mude a América Latina, deje atrás sus actitudes de “al norte de la frontera”;

Mark Twain:

“Viajar es fatal para los prejuicios, la intolerancia y la estrechez de miras. No se pueden adquirir puntos de vista amplios, sanos y caritativos sobre los hombres y las cosas vegetando en un pequeño rincón de la tierra durante toda la vida”.

https://cuencahighlife.com/when-you-mov … COtxJcs09M

Thanks