Looking to retire in PH in 2026 any advice is welcome

Hello all, im Tony, 37 from the UK. Currently employed in HM Forces and will retire from service mid 2026. looking to retire to Ph, i currently have a GF living there and i have previously visited this year. Any advice on where to start in moving there perm would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

Given you have a few more years until retirement/the/a move/commitment I could only suggest to visit multiple times before you lock a decision like that in. Boots on the ground, head out of the clouds and really experience the flavours and culture, after some time the Philippines is not for every one. a desired flavour.

As an English dude simply rock up on a 30 day visa and extend in an immi office, don't bother with travel agencies, many horror stories and you can legally stay here for up to 3 years as long as you renew your visa.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl I appreciate the reply bud, thankyou, aye i got my second trip there coming this December, shes coming here in a few days and we are just alternating the travel for now until its time to start the ball rolling on the perm move. it was a personal decision made my me quite a long time ago, not something i chose lightly and have happily experienced travel all over the place there. i do spend a lot of time learning the culture and differences and language, all seems easy to adapt to. Got my eye on buying a house or two there, just need to figure out when to start the right application as ive read there is a different one for military personnel retiring at aged 40? we plan to marry prior to the move also. i'm trying to plan it so i can l leave service and jump straight on a plane without having to start rent a place here in the UK because trying to uproot rather than tie myself down here haha.

T   

Hello everyone and welcome on board @Tony

Please note that I have started a new topic on the Philippines forum from your posts and feedback you've been given. It will be better for interaction.

All the best

Bhavna

@tonyuk6340

Greetings!  Your post has a few elements that will require a bit deeper research for sure.  Here are a few examples to investigate:

• How will the UK handle retirement benefits earned by a person less than 55 years old?
  • Have you reviewed the legal aspects of house vs land ownership in the PI?
  • Have you considered Visa types that you may/may not be eligible for?
  • If an SRRV becomes an option (after a certain age), will you also seek the related work permit?
  • Have you sorted out the bank and account type you intend to use between the UK and the PI?

No mater your savings size, refrain from sharing your capital or "pot" size here or in public.  Consider establishing a $$ account that will enable the easy transfer of British Pound to USD and the ability to transfer that to a bank in the PI without days/weeks of a bank float.  I find that using XOOM is best for me since I am able to get either Dollars or Pesos processed/approved and ready for local pick up in less than 5 minutes.  I do not do bank to bank wires as that creates 10-15 bank days of float and another 5-10 bank days if a person processes a paper check.

I read where a comfy annual British budget of about 50K BP provides a decent retirement for life, if that does not exceed 4% of a person's capital.  I am sure adjusted for the PI, you can figure your money needs/wants without forum help. 

Regarding location(s):  As a native Californian, my need for a super hot location was not a priority.  I selected the 690 meter high Tagaytay City due to it's slower pace, cooler temps and fresher air.  Additionally, there is a higher probability of finding "better" medical care for myself/family being near the NCR. 

Of course, having your own private vehicle can be a must for some expats.  It was also important for me to be able to return to the USA with ease, so being less than 70KM (or a 1.5 hour drive) from an International airport was a big factor.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. I myself used to serve in the armed forces and I am guessing from what you have said here that you will have done 22 years by the time you retire at 40. I only served for 10.5 years but do remember in the RAF that the pension for 22 years service was very good and also that you could extend further to age 55. Getting your military pension is an easy process so you just need to find the best/cheapest method of accessing your money in the Philippines.

Just out of curiosity - What plans do you have for when your good lady visits you here in the UK (trips, sightseeing, etc)?

My advice rent don't buy living in the PI is different from visiting    Great patience is required.  If you get married do so in the PI rather than your home country.  It is cheaper and also will confirm your GF true intentions (love vs green card).  Travel around the PI to determine where you want to live.  I would not suggest living too close to your GF family esp if you like some privacy.  It's not a bad idea to live within a few hours of one of the larger cities. Nice to have access to modern medical/ dental/ vision providers and western amenities.  Great to have you onboard.

( I am married 18 years + to a Filipina). We live in Argao and Anchorage AK USA.