Advice on Best banks in Portugal

Any suggestions on the best bank that might be right for an expat? My son who bought the property in Madiera managed to open a bank account with Santander purely based on his NIF, UK address and financial /income statement.  I as his father who was involved right from the beginning in selecting and buying the property for him am having either a joint account or an independent account for myself. I have been living off and on in the property since October 22 and I have a letter stating from the property owner/company that I have been residing at the property but the bank now insists I must have proof of address in the form of bills in my name at the property address in Portugal. Unfortunately, all the bills are in my son's name and my submission to the bank how can I have bills if I do not have a bank account to pay these bills? That logic does not seem to get through to them. They keep insisting it is the rule that you must have proof of address in the form of bills before they can offer me a bank account. My NIF is in UK address because I have nothing with a Portuguese address. Any advice?

Hi,

I guess you can still open a bank account with your former address in UK, no?

Advantage in Portugal, you can still talk to responsible persons in bank's offices, the best then would be to present them the situation and ask what they could accept as proof of address.

If they are unable to help you then try to visit other banks and ask them frankly, I would suggest you to start with banks like

• NovoBanco
  • BankInter
  • Caixa Credito Agricola

En Algarve, BPI est parfaite.

A éviter à tous prix *** et particulièrement agences de Loule, Olhão, Tavira et Faro et ***

Translation : In the Algarve, BPI is perfect.

To be avoided at all costs *** and particularly agencies of Loule, Olhão, Tavira and Faro and ***

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Name removed : Potentially defamatory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Open a bank account in Portugal as a non-resident

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=933658

And remember, it's MADEIRA, not Madiera.

@boutdechou39

Thank you for you quick response. My son managed to open his account with Santander using his UK address. However now Santander are saying the riles have changed and even tough I have a NIF, it is on UK address and they can not open a  bank account for me unless I show proof of address in Portugal in form of bills. I will try other banks

@kiransidhar

Reason : Advert

@belliou ca tombe bien, car c'est ma nouvelle banque et BPI de Almancil a ouvert mon compte à distance, même si nous allons vivre à Porto!

That's good, because it's my new bank and BPI of Almancil opened my account remotely, even though we're going to live in Porto!

Reason : Added translation

@MrFitz

Sorry but the mentioned bank also require a proof of address, so your advise, which sound more after advertising, doesn't help the author of the initial post

Reason : Irrelevant due to an error

@boutdechou39,

All suggestions are welcome. This forum is in english, but @Bettina's reply follows on from another post in french and for kindness she also replied in french. Banks in Madeira and Algarve are the same ones...

In the context of applying for a visa, you can open an account at any branch as long as the bank is in Portugal. The branches have local directorates, and each of them can make things easier, just to achieve business goals. it shouldn't be like that, but that's the way it is. Because all banks and regional directorates should be governed by the same rules defined by the bank regulators that are the Bank of Portugal and the ECB...